Experimenting with Ret Casters - Any tips?

Hey guys! I’m looking into retaliation caster types, one with a bunch of floor AOEs in this case. Has anyone else had much luck with ret casters?

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZy0PjbV

Here’s the draft I’m toying with - 8% on Sigil of Consumption, 15% on Grasping Vines and 7% on Fetid Pool for a total of 30% floor AOE ret damage. It also has 11% ret damage on Dreeg’s Evil Eye from Terrifying Gaze, so it can deal some kind of projectile damage as well.

Has anyone made anything like this with success? If so, any tips?

Idk about the build power, but a quick look at the energy consumption (generally per sec) has me wondering if this might be frustrating to play for long periods without having to avoid the skills to allow recharge:

• GV 130
  • spam DEE 70
  • CoF 40

and then WT 63 + SoC 95 + amulet proc 66 every 5-6s

Pool 2200 (-360 reserve for MP) limit with 35 regen is used in around 10s of playtime. Is that enough QoL before energy pot is needed?

Edit:

There is an older thread about Acid retaliation GV that you might find interesting: Acid Grasping Vines thread

I never actually tested the builds there, but Valinov and others tested theirs with success. There may be later variations if you look around. I seem to recall Valinov mentioning that he liked it better with the full 4 pieces of JotT set. :man_shrugging: Maybe this thread?: state of acid retal

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts! I’m not too worried about energy consumption, I can tweak the build for that. :smiley:

Thanks for the links to Acid Grasping Vines resources, I’ll check 'em out :smiley:

if im not mistaken, theres a cool build here on this forum that uses drain essense as main spell to deal ret damage, with spectral war shield and avatar of order.

1 Like

Oh yep, good thought - I’ve made a team support version of that build before, too. :smiley:

I guess I’m more looking toward retaliation damage in overlapping floor AOEs, but ret drain essence sure does work a treat!