(False alarm) Apparently, you can dual-wield ranged weapons without Ranged Expertise

By picking either Bursting Round, Chilling Rounds or Storm Spread. Not that you’ll be using those without Ranged Expertise, but still. I’m also pretty sure it’s a feature - and not a bug. Should skill tooltips indicate that they enable dual-wielding though? And could someone double-check this? Maybe I’m just going nuts.

Are you sure you’re not wearing an item that grants dual wield ranged?

I took off all my items. And I used two M. Havocs. No, it’s not from gear. I had 0 points in RE and 1+ points in BR and SS. When I respecced out of those as well, I couldn’t dual-wield any more.

Well, it’s either an unintended “bug” - or it’s one of the intentional invisible features Crate is known to slip in the game at times. Guess we’ll find out.

I tried with 4 different dual wield ranged characters and as soon as the points are taken out of Ranged Expertise, but still points in the other WPS’s, they can only use 1 gun. And no, none of them have items that allow dual wield ranged.

Then in that case XandeRoot may want to try verifying the game files.

Hm, my game is a clean install and has no mods or other game files manipulations. Have to wait for 1.1.9.0 to reinstall again and check this.

In the meantime, I’d like to see more reports of people who tested it, cause this is getting interesting with us having different results.

Btw, I double-checked this myself on a different character with different weapons, and it’s the same.

Are you sure you took everything off including relics?

No I mean to verify file integrity…

…to have it check for missing/corrupted game files and fix them if it finds anything amiss. This can potentially happen regardless of being a fresh install.

Anytime you experience something that you think is an oddity this is generally the first thing you want to try to do to rule it out, or confirm.

Absolutely. The only source of DW on those chars was Ranged Expertise. I would post a screenshot, but there’s no way to show both inventory and skills at the same time.

On a side note, did you have Hydra constellation on a character(s) you tested this? I know it has nothing to do with DW, but who knows, right?

Yeah, I understand. Haven’t thought of it as a bug though, just a hidden perk of Inquisitor or something. Anyway, I’ll chech this again when 1.1.9.0 drops, maybe it’ll have some ninja changes to WPS or whatever.

No, neither they’re not using that constellation or they’re not high enough level-wise to use it yet.

And you don’t have to wait until the next patch drops, you can verify game files at any time.

Yeah, scratch Hydra, it has no impact on that.

And lets just say I have a negative experience with Steam and tools it provides. So I prefer a complete reinstall. And I don’t want to reinstall just before the patch. Yes, I’m weird like that =)

/shrugs

Well, what can we do? I’ve used Verify many a time (as have countless others) and have yet to see a single problem occur as a result of - specifically in regards to GD - but I have seen it fix many a problem users experienced.

It’s essentially the go-to first step in nearly any bug/trouble-shooting when it comes to GD. Even GOG Galaxy has Verify functionality. In order to track problems down and confirm them you need to rule out specific things. This is one of those specific things. And it’s far faster than attempting to do a reinstall, which would still carry with it the potential to install corrupted files during download.

Record a video?

I could not duplicated this btw. Tried on my naked test-char, took only bursting rounds and tried to equip two basic white pistols and failed.

1 Like

The pneum burst modifier grants only dw melee right? Is there maybe another skill like this? Grim sheet would help here.

Yes, that’s dual wield melee, not ranged.

screenshot your character? do a video going through it step by step?

Well, I was very curious and did a complete reinstall AND integrity check (everything was fine and dandy btw). And… it fixed it? But still I don’t get it. I make sure to reinstall the game after every major update to exactly avoid glitches. Maybe I forgot something? Or maybe there were some leftovers… Still that’s interesting how files can be “corrupted” in such a specific way. Oh well, that’ll teach me I guess.

Sorry for inconvenience folks. Good thing I didn’t post it in bug section then =)

This can apply to downloading pretty much anything from the internet, especially larger file downloads. File corruption is a thing. Usually it isn’t a problem BUT if you have other people doing things on your home network, streaming perhaps, while you are simultaneously downloading something large, in my experience this increases the chances that file corruption may occur.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable. Although for whatever reason I thought it’s more hardware related (like faulty RAM or storage device), since modern network protocols have error corrections, checksums and shit. But there’s no way to know what caused, so thanks for your input anyway.