Familiar sometimes is not buffing Hellhound

Hello, I’m enjoying pet build right now on my warlock. There is one thing though that is quite offputing and that is Familiar ignoring the existance of my glorious Hellhound. From my understanding, Familiar is casting Storm Spirit only on player character and if Hellhound is lucky, he will get caught in buff area (3m). More often though he is in far distance mauling my enemies and loosing the opportunity to get his elemental damage boosted. Needles to say, I put quite much effort to stack as much elemental damage on my Hellhound as possible and loss of this buff has severe impact on his damage.

Would this be possible to make Familiar track the Storm Spirit buff not only on playable characters, but on their minions aswell? Cheers!

I believe that with the familiar buff, if other pets are out of the range of the familiar, they won’t get buffed.

I have a conjurer myself, and I see this aswell, but the familiar does buff other pets from what I have experienced.

The familiar uses Storm Spirit on mainly two things: your character, and itself.
If it gets both you and itself in one cast then it won’t bother to recast.

To increase your chances of buffing everyone I suggest you move the raven away when you first summon it (so it buffs itself), then it will cast the buff again on your character.
Since the raven auto-refreshes the buff it will then try to do so twice - once on itself, and once on your character.

Thanks for quick replies. Those are workarounds though. My point is, since this buff works on Hellhound, why shouldn’t Familiar cast it directly on him anyway? I’m trying to get close to Hellhound currently when I see that buff is going to fade, but at times it’s impossible to get to him in time. This means that he is going to deal less damage for buff duration, that is until Familiar recasts it.

Other improvement I see, that could be even easier to add, is increasing the range of skill up from 3m range which is in use currently.

Thanks for quick replies. Those are workarounds though. My point is, since this buff works on Hellhound, why shouldn’t Familiar cast it directly on him anyway? I’m trying to get close to Hellhound when I see that buff is going to fade, but at times it’s impossible to do this in time. This means he is going to deal less damage for buff duration, that is until Familiar recasts it.

Other improvement I see, which could be even easier to add, is increasing the range of skill up from 3m.

recast the familiar maybe?

I just tried this and new Familiar won’t cast buff until it ends on character. It seems like it doesn’t care about being buffed just like it doesn’t care about buffing other minions.

Even if he did recast though, I think it’s not how it should work. As a player I shouldn’t fight against broken game mechanics, but against monsters. I assume it might not work optimally for reasons mentioned above.

Well, this could just generally be a bug?

Would have to see with a dev at that point.

If it is already on main character, and not on pets or allies, should it be recast? I should think so…

I actually thought it was just an aura from the familiar.

The most obvious answer is that the raven already has to juggle several other things like attacking/casting Mend Flesh (it likes to spams that if you hit 50% or so HP). Having to re-cast Storm Spirit on all friendlies on top of everything would leave it little time to do anything else.
It’s also possibly a balance thing, since Storm Spirit is incredibly powerful at the level you get it and remains powerful throughout.

Don’t recast the Raven. The old buff disappears after a while if you do.

Turning Storm Spirit into an aura has been suggested several times, though when that happens they’ll probably turn it into something like Emboldening Roar which has a downtime (both are powerful offensive/defensive skills, compare to Hellfire which is purely offensive).
It could be argued that the raven should at least cast it on allies that show up with healthbars on your screen.