[Feedback] Melee Physical Cadence needs a buff

Was just about to edit my reply :stuck_out_tongue:

TBF, there’re also super physical damage items like beronath reforged, deathstalker, and stonetreaders.

Physical damage is balanced around the fact that each source of physical damage is blocked individually by armor. Hence why physical resistance is really low on most enemies.

Not playing physical builds because of this makes no sense. Also, all damage types stack RR and % damage. How are other damage types any different?

Why asking a question you know the answer to? It doesnt lead the discussion anywhere.

Endgame is fighting bosses. Bosses have high armor making every source of flat phys dmg useless to the build unless its very high (deadly momentum). So when you try to optimize the build for endgame you neglect every small source of flat phys and stack %dmg. It limits creativeness in building. Other dmg types don’t suffer from this problem.

Except you don’t neglect flat sources, the complete opposite. You want to stack as many as possible.

Did you purposely ignored my explanation of why physical damage isn’t hindered by the armor? Because the enemy’s physical resistance is balanced around the armor mechanic. I have Cadence builds with 500k hits on average, Blade Arc with max near 300k. Physical isn’t hindered by the armor mechanic in the least.

Don’t know why you are trying to come up with arguments for stuff be changed when you purposely ignore why these mechanics are like this in the first place.

Physical was the king of damage for a long while, something that wouldn’t have happened if the armor mechanic hindered it as much you think it does.

Looking at the set again, the real question is if crit damage is such a factor in EoR builds, why not nerf the skill mod on the warborn helmet (12% crit to EoR) instead of Beronath, which won’t collaterally screw over a bunch of lower-tier builds?

What does phys res has to do with it? It is percentage reduction, not flat reduction. Do you understand the difference and how vital it is for building?

I don’t think i have much more to say other than to forward you to the guide on game mechanics:

In here you will learn how useless is stacking multiple small sources of dmg (unless the guide is incorrect, and i’m incorrect and and we all live a lie) against the bosses. I’ve joined GD recently and i had the impression Praetorian badge means the speaker (at least when they speak up in the appropriate section) has major understanding of the game mechanics.

You are overestimating the impact of armor when it comes to flat damage bonuses. Flat damage is one of the best sources of damage a weapon-based build can stack, and this is also true for physical damage.

While it is true that physical damage is affected by armor, it also has some of the highest flat damage bonuses available and, as was mentioned, monsters have very low % Physical resistances.

It doesn’t mean anything besides that the person helps us test future patches. We enlisted players of varying skill levels and interests and their knowledge of the game likewise greatly varies. (regardless, in the above case, what he said is absolutely true)

I understand that the armor values on the majority of the enemies can’t overcome even small
sources of dmg after multiplication. But we are talking, i presume, about the endgame balance, and endgame, in MC, SR and Crucible, revolves around bosses which have high amounts of armor.

Let’s take very popular item for phys builds - M. Beronath belt. It has 17 flat dmg.
A decent phys build has +2500% phys dmg (including cunning) which results in 442 flat dmg from this source. Let’s say we hit with our major Cadence strike for 500% WD resulting in 2210 dmg from this source. But, for example, Aleks has 2557 armor. And because the armor check happens before the resistance check, our big 17 flat results in 0 dmg dealt.

Is that correct?

Incorrect.

At the very least, 30% will get through.

armor shred is off the table, but can we get armor absorption shred? /s

Right, all bosses have 70% absorption? For some reason i thought usually it’s 100%.

So does 30% of the hit go through, or does 30% of the armor value go through (if the hit is lower than armor)?
Sorry for interrogating, i just want to know from the first hands the initial conditions if i want to make a phys build.

It’s kind of a weird mechanic where lower enemy armor can actually benefit THE ENEMY:
6x200 phys shotgun hitting the enemy with 1500 armor will result in enemy taking 1200 dmg
6x200 phys shotgun hitting the enemy with 200 armor will result in enemy taking 180 dmg
:face_with_monocle:

In this case you indeed benefit from stacking hundreds of very small dmg resources

P.S. Love your game btw :heart:

Well, it seems time to give some superior hero and specific bosses armor absorption augments :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t fight monsters that don’t know how to properly dress. And if it’s good for the player, it’s good for the monster - I say.

30% of the hit goes through up to the armor value, after which everything extra gets through. That is why extra armor absorption is very good.

Edit:

And Xervous presented an interesting idea…give some bosses armor absorb shred? More challenges. For example, this would suit Iron Maiden well.

That i get. But if your dmg source is very small and is dealt to the enemy with high armor it will get through FULLY.

In the example with M. Beronath 2210 dmg to Alex results in 2557*30% = 767 dmg. But a smaller source, 6 flat from some ring, will also result in 767 dmg against Alex. This is pretty big for making an endgame build. You know the treshold of small dmg going through the boss armor unreduced and build around that.

You can build physical damage around a concept of death of a thousand cuts,and/or dot and/or threshold damage.

Firstly it was sarcastic, secondly it’s a proposal for player options. Overcapping armor absorb for endgame sounds extra cancerous… the physical mitigation available to builds is already arbitrary enough as it is

Just don’t allow overcapping, as is the current status. And it would be only relevant to thematic opposition. Maybe you’ll have to be a little bit careful on occasion with builds that count on 4K+ armor to do it all.

Maybe some hero sneaks into the pack and debufs your absorb…

That’s even worse, this will disproportionately affect the little guy who is just barely able to amass defenses against physical damage. If you think the high armor builds are a problem why not just nerf the pieces of the puzzle they alone are benefiting from so it doesn’t throw the rest of the pattern out of whack?

I was simply thinking that it could add more interesting enemies and challenge. It’s not that I want to nerf high armor or low armor. :roll_eyes:

What about it is interesting? I just see another debuff that hits one of the most common weak points on builds.

Most people don’t care about the time, they care about completing Glad 170 at all and getting some loot.