Feedback on continued SR boss/room randomness and unbeatable rooms

Hi there, As I delve deeper into the SR I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with the boss combos and rooms that I am seeing that appear to be legitimately unbeatable. I have been progressing with a Markovian Warlord, who’s stats with 0 temporary buffs roughly are: ~30% overcapped on resistances, have 3.1K OA and 2.9k DA and 3.9k armor. Twice in a row I started, than was forced to abandon runs between 50 - 55 (once on shard 51, then next time same problem happened on 53). Here was the boss combination I ran into in the small circular room that aggros every boss simultaneously.

1. Father Kymon (both times)
  2. Kaisan (both times)
  3. Sister Crimson (was Janaxia once)
  4. Slathsarr Aethergaze (spelling?)

You can’t kite because of Kaisan’s crystals and the room size, I can’t melee into them because of Aethergaze, and at one point with Grim Internals registered I was taking 31k incoming dps. Even popping overguard and ascension and an aether crystal didn’t allow meaningful progress to be made on any single boss to try to whittle the room down.

I don’t mind the randomness of bosses, it can actually make fights tactically more interesting, but in a mode that is all or nothing with rewards (assuming you cant just die over and over to kill one boss at a time), and also costs resources to even attempt, the tuning just doesn’t seem to be good enough to make it a reliably challenging, enjoyable experience. I assume the intended experience of SR isn’t that there are a certain % of runs that are just failed no matter what the player does or their spec because of room/boss combos (not to mention the modifiers and their exacerbating effect).

Thanks for reading.
Phelan

Don’t facetank all of them. No build can facetank 4+ bosses at once in SR.

I wasn’t trying to face tank them, sorry if I failed to convey that in my post. But from entering the room all 4 are aggro’d and given Kaisan’s ability to burn you down with his crystals even if you kite, there really isn’t a lot of options but try to fight when CDs are available and run otherwise, but it didn’t matter.

As you have said, the difficulty is mostly due to that shitty tiny arena (60+ shards are easier because that arena is gone). When everyone charge at you and you barely have rooom to move it’s not fun. Fortunately it’s getting patched and made bigger from what I heard.

1 Like

Guys,welcome to SR party :partying_face:

That’s pretty common problem and has been discussed multiple times.I suggest to hover the back wall with your mouse,while the map is loading.Try to isolate if not one vs one,at least no more than two at same time.

Also,when kite,do it only sideways to not draw more aggro.

1 Like

If it is getting patched that is amazing!

And yeah, I didn’t think about it until later that day, but I’ve done SR 75 on Veteran and used a Celestial stone to skip up to 60 on ultimate and I completed 60-61 with no problem. Should’ve saved myself a headache and done it earlier =P

WARNING: THIS POST IS SR CHEESE RANT! IT MIGHT OFFEND SR FANS’ SENSIBILITIES! READ AT YOUR DISCRETION!

@phelan11 I thought the enemy combos were to be adjusted for lower shards. I see this hasn’t happened. In this case you simply gotta do what crucible players without Grim Internals have to do (another thing that Crate refuses to change for no reason): reload until you get what you need. Silly, isn’t it?

Or simply forget aggro abuse cheese exists and play the shards that your toon is consistent with.

This thread, in a way, is another example how SR aggro abuse is damaging the game’s playability. It gives players an illusion of power and then shatters it all of a sudden creating much frustration. I don’t think it’s really about certain shards being too hard. If shards were more consistently hard there would be no issue. Power balance would stabilize and everyone would know what they’re capable of. Players would try to improve their results by upping their game, not re-rolling stages and boss combos. Certain level of randomness is good for games but in SR there is way too much randomness. In current SR farming you simply gotta accept the fact that many runs will fail even with the most polished toons and world class piloting skills.

5 Likes

I have/had only 1 real problem with SR:
If you made mistake…it could be the end of the run because the bosses don’t reset completely.

I had this on Shard 79. Lucius, Kaisan, Grava and Garbagol. Aggroed all of them at once because of failed displacement. Tryed it several times after that but with all on you when starting…well, that’s ended my ambitions. :wink:

Actually, this is quite a good idea. Resetting aggro after death would be a small step forward. If AA is the way to play at least let people AA every time Oh, I mean Aggro Abuse not Alcoholics Anonymous. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great replies from everyone. I was also thinking that a way the randomness could feel less punishing is having it so that you still receive some amount of loot if you’ve been climbing and fail a boss room. Perhaps you receive loot from, I dunno, 5 shards lower if you climbed up through multiple shards. Might make players feel like their effort wasn’t wasted if they get unlucky while doing a climb. If you are just doing a 2 shard farm the investment is smaller and therefore I think you could skip guaranteed loot, but I think offering some form of reward after a long climb (similar to Crucible), would feel good to players.

If Crate wanted to be really generous they could give the missed timer level of loot from the last Shard you fully completed.

I like this idea

A particular pain with boss rooms that feature kaisan is that his crystals don’t despawn after you die, and if you can’t make progress on your first clean run, you’re gonna have double the trouble when you’re getting whittled down by the crystals while everything is aggroing you.

I’ll agree with the ideas of resetting bosses’ aggro and crystals on player’s death. It makes a boss room almost unbeatable when u re-enter it and face crystals damaging u immediately and Kaisan/Kymon rushing towards u. Or Alex sending down his meteors which almost one-shot in deep shards.

As for hard combos, one of them is Grava+Benn’jahr+Korvaak - not completely unbeatable, but very hard to.
And combo of Slatsarr Aethergaze+Kubacabra - a hell for melee build (as for my experience).

slathzar is the most awful thing in this game when it comes to shattered realm. It’s fumble is so overtuned its a joke. And good luck not pulling him from the back of the room on some maps. Even on maps where you can selectively pull bosses half the time he will come slithering in too. I almost feel like hes put into shards to dissuade people from playing melee specs. Almost as if the devs want everyone to play pet specs or something???

Please also rework arcane mobs. Especially grava, its one thing that he can purge all your buffs but squisher builds are often instantaneously 1 shot immediately after by the insane damage he does with it and the fact that all your defenses were instantly purged.

Kaisan and duskreaper crystals need to be life stealable. More unfair restrictions for people playing melee builds which rely (oftentimes have to because its their only decent source of healing) on life steal.

I do think there needs to be some serious rebalancing. Ive had awful 4th chunks which were unbeatable, even by 4 man parties.
There needs to be randomization of bosses but not complete randomisation, it should be more a series of preset combinations of bosses which you have a chance to get with a little bit of randomisation. Say 12 different preset combos of bosses, with 1 boss being totally random on each set.

3 Likes

Just encountered Slathsarr Aethergaze and is as cancer as people describe it to be. Your damage just become non-existant and he wiped us 5 times despite 1 boss already dead.

1 Like

yeah hes fumble reduction needs a massive adjustment, he can spam that aoe almost instantaneously and the fumble feels like about 50%, but not sure if its that high just feels like it. Some maps its impossible not to pull him either. if i pull him on a 4th chunk now when im soloing and theres a bad boss combo i just restart, i dont waste my time anymore.

1 Like