Feedback on itemization

I wanted to make a 100% acid dual-raven bird, only to find out that it’s ruined by the rings converting acid to elemental. I wanted to make a double hellhound build around something only to have the build ruined by the lost souls set taking a weapon slot. One of the biggest griefs with theorycrafting a niche, hipster or thinking-out-of-the-box build or something off-meta, or even just a roleplaying build idea, is item conflicted slots or conflicting mods.

It’s like all the set items I want to build something unique out of - had the devs thinking “how can we ruin this build combination by having these two items share a slot”. This isn’t the case of course - it is just coincidental probably that a lot of things don’t mix due to the sheer amount of items.

However it is frustrating and exhausting trying to make the “needle in the haystack” kinda build and be one modifier or item away every single time.

Maybe drop all set item completion bonuses by 1 item. So that every set’s max set bonus requires all items MINUS ONE. This would solve a lot of problems with item conflictions making builds.

As for a possible GD2. I still think that every single unique effect, including set item bonuses, should be present for a minimum of TWO item slots. For example bleed bonus to presence of virtue on that shield and on a ring. Double hellhound as a set bonus and on, say an amulet. 100% aether to acid on the putrid necklace and a set of boots.

I think that the most elegant solution though. Would be to have unique item modifiers (like doom bolt dealing fire damage for example), to instead be moved to components, augments, enchants or something like that.

There are probably lots of ways to do this better. It isn’t ONLY set items. Also many MI’s and epic items has this problem. They have X effect, which is the only effect like this in the entire game. But is restricted to a single item slot.

Having to constantly have theorycrafted builds ruined by a single conflicting item which offers no alternative presence on any other item slot at all is really bad for build diversity.

Anyway… just some feedback, suggestions and admittedly another rant from me :stuck_out_tongue: It’s just that this really does a lot, to suck the fun of the game out of me.

dual pet slots are usually deliberate made so it will conflict in certain ways, simply because pets are so strong
that said, just because ex Lost soul takes a weapon slot, doesn’t mean you can’t use another weapon at the same time
someone just posted a dualwield pet build to get ex fire hellhounds, it’s just about getting creative with the allotted slots
also worth to note that double ravens conversion doesn’t actually affect raven that much since it’s already pure lightning dmg - only part that would be affected are other pets or if you added flat acid dmg to the bird
^and transmuter conversion on ex scorpius pummeler would completely ignore the acid conversion on trinkets - again aside from separate flat acid dmg added to the outside their base dmg

2 Likes

This.

That aside, I’ve argued in the past in favor of separating armor sets from weapon/jewelry slots, weapon sets from armor/jewelry slots, and jewelry sets from weapon/armor slots. You’d still get the ability to “lock out” particular sorts of bonuses due to overlap, but you’d better be able to mix and match armor/jewelry/weapons depending on the demands of your build and could better attain inter-set customization.

4 Likes

agree

If every build was equally possible to make, it would become a game of “pick your colour”. Constraints are part of the fun.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.