FG : how difficult is veteran ?

Please read before answering “it’s easy” to get the context :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m for now a “veteran” (difficulty-like I mean) player. I quite like Grim Dawn that I finished without too many problems, so I’m interested in FG. But I have to admit, AoM left a rather salty taste in my mouth. The difficulty spike compared to the main game has been nothing short of ridiculous, which seriously hampered the fun (I’ve yet to finish it, in fact).

So before I commit, I’d like to know : is FG about as hard as AoM, or is it more in-line with the main game ?
Please, notice that I’m just asking about how hard the expansion is compared to the other parts of GD, and neither advices on how to get gud or how easy it was for you :wink:

Is AoM veteran difficult? Veteran is like a tutorial

I jumped right through Forgotten Gods self found mode after I beat warden around lvl 16, here’s what I observed after completing all of its contents on veteran with a smite paladin build. In the end of the campaign you can be around lvl 35 when you complete all of the fg map!

For average rpg players like me! ;):stuck_out_tongue: here are my observations:

1. It’s harder than the base game
  2. It’s comparable to ashes of malmouth maybe slightly easier but mind you the last part of the campaign can be tricky as you really gotta respect resistances and have a build plan or you might have troubles
  3. Its challenging but not outright hard, its fun and doable since enemies scale to your level, but you going to have some hairy moments.
  4. I died once because i admired the graphics while fighting , and then maybe some 2 or 3 close call moments in other situations
  5. also difficulty will also depend on what build you are using and how well you are aware of the game mechanics plus having items from transfer stash may help.

Overall for me they are equivalent in difficulty maybe slight edge in difficulty for ashes because of how bad malmouth is as a battleground :rolleyes:

The real comparison will be ultimate fg vs ultimate aom though, for veteran i dont think there is much too worry. You can do it mate ! :cool:

Thanks man, that’s the kind of feedback I was looking for :slight_smile:
Guess I’ll have to wait for a while to see if there is going to be a tuning pass.

The real comparison will be ultimate fg vs ultimate aom though, for veteran i dont think there is much too worry. You can do it mate ! :cool:

Maybe, but I’m not interested in anything above Veteran for now (I prefer non-optimal builds allowing me to have fun but which are a liability in harder settings, and I’m not yet interested to really jump into the inner game mechanics to compute what is efficient and what is not).

Well, you seem in search of challenge, so I have one to give you. It’s called “learning to read”, so you can decrypt what was written in the OP :

Please, notice that I’m just asking about how hard the expansion is compared to the other parts of GD, and neither advices on how to get gud or how easy it was for you

Time to put these m4d sk1llz to work for something you’ve yet to reach !

its like asking what is hardest to do 4+5 or 3+9 :stuck_out_tongue:

FG and AoM are of comparable difficulty, vanilla is easier.

You could also play through vanilla in Veteran and AoM and FG in Normal to balance that out somewhat…

Let me say as a fellow casual gamer with a probably non-optimal build: I started FG on vet after killing Krieg and did fine up to the lava area, where I had a couple deaths to champion clusters. I think I’ll drop back to normal through the end of it, then go back to vet for the vanilla content.

Prception of difficulty is relative.

Both AoM and FG are slightly difficultier than vanilla, in any difficulty.
I personally find AoM harder than FG, because of the aether damage all over the place and damage spikes in relation.
In FG you are easier to equip and prepare the character to counter the incoming shit.

I’m not sure “slightly” is the adequate word :stuck_out_tongue:
The difference is MASSIVE. It doesn’t mean it makes it “very difficult” in absolute, but relative to main game there is huge spike. In fact, I’ve read often that AoM veteran is actually quite harder than main game Elite, which is pretty telling. I suppose that by Ultimate, the difference is much less striking.