Flame and Shield Tactician

Fair enough - I shall push FoI a bit faster than I would use to and find my sweet spot for energy usage. And you are right, Blitz is important in my build, but this is partly due to our different devotion choices.

I never considered ADctH and so far I have not missed - interesting though.

The skill is pretty good but after level 4 I think the scaling is different and also due to the on crit nature of the skill I generally leave it at level 4 and only invest beyond that level when I have spare points

I typically do the same. It’s usually just 1 point, and have the +'s take care of the rest. I find it hard to invest on a skill to give more crits, when it takes a crit to activate it, and it is only up half the time at best.

Here we go eis, just hit 20. A lil slow going cuz I am leveling another build too.

Level 10
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/w26Jq802
Level 20
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZoW8kvZ

Of note: I handled Salazar and Gutworm pretty easily. The hardest part was on the Salazar fight my mind freaked out on the controller a lil bit and got confused about what I should be pressing vs. what I was pressing and I made some mistakes but I managed to regain my cool and after that it was easy sailing.

I removed it for the same reason and have yet to try using it again (and my bar is not even full - I just don’t like reaching for 7 to 0 - I should really rebind the keys). My wife and I did get the chance this past weekend to do the Crucible together and I got to level 30. I kept pushing to go higher and higher because I am very confident this character will go far. Her Blademaster build struggled even though I tried to keep the Inquisitor seal under her character and heal her with Word of Renewal :undecided:. I will definitely go higher and set yet another personal record on this character when I get the chance :cool:. This might be the first character I finish the campaign with so I am slow to progress while I meticulously read everything, explore everywhere, and generally enjoy the ride. Additionally, I really enjoy “farming” for the variety and subsequently “min-maxing” my character with everything that I find.

Edit: Level 30: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GlYknV

Thanks for the heads-up about your experience with Rune of Kalastor late game.

With regards to Deadly Aim: Using the “Damage Per Hit” section of the second character sheet tab I am under the impression that Deadly Aim applies its’ bonuses to other skills only when I wield a gun. Can you shed any light on this?

Deadly Aim works for any skill no matter what you wield.

Can you be more specific about what you mean when you say it “works?” More importantly, can you please present evidence to support your statement?

To expand on and be more specific about what I typed: The character sheet indicates that the %Elemental damage bonus from Ranged Expertise only applies to other skills when I wield a gun or crossbow. I did not check the character sheet to see if the same applies to the flat pierce damage (for skills that use %Weapon damage), the %Pierce damage, and %Attack speed.

I’ve tried searching this forum and beyond for an official word or evidence as to which way the skill is intended to function and how it actually does function but I’ve only come up with conflicting statements that seem to be only conjecture.

If only the tool-tips were more precise and to a lesser degree consistent. For example, color coding and explaining in a help tool-tip local versus global modifiers but I digress.

1. Deadly Aim gives absolutely no description that even hints that it is limited to ranged weapons.
  2. When I use on my FoI build, which uses a 1h dagger, Deadly Aim is procing often. My DPS goes up when it does, my OA goes up, and I see the icon above my head.
  3. The buff shows up above the UI on the left as well.

For the most part, if a skill does not specify that it only works with a specific type of weapon, or offhand, it works for all weapons. If it doesn’t specify that it only works on default weapon attacks, it works for all attacks. That said, +damage modifiers only apply to weapons, unless otherwise specified.

I sincerely apologize because I made a late-night mistake! :smiley:

When I responded to Chthon’s post with “With regards to Deadly Aim…” for some reason I thought s/he was typing about “Ranged Expertise” and I even typed the wrong thing! Oh wow…I think I need to set a dead-line at night at which time I can no longer type anything but only read :rolleyes:.

Well, to contribute something from my mistake: I noticed that the character sheet damage for Rune of Kalastor is increased by points in Ranged Expertise but only while wielding a ranged weapon. As a relative “noob” this was enlightening to me because the global nature of the bonus (and others like it) isn’t explained in game that I am aware of. For whatever reason, I initially assumed that those bonuses on skills applied to only those skills unless stated otherwise.

That part is only partly going to apply. The damage % will apply, but the +damage part won’t.

But ya, I started to wonder if you were thinking about Ranged Expertise in some fashion.

Yep. Thanks for your explanations!

My understanding of the +flat damage on skills is that they apply to attacks and not spells and in the specific case of Ranged Expertise it would apply to only ranged weapon attacks.

There are skills which add weapon damage%, and in those cases, it would apply, as +raw damage is applied to your weapon damage.

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me. That was one of the more initially intriguing things about Flames of Ignaffar to me.

Because of the %Weapon damage on FoI my line of thinking was that it would make it possible to acquire small but frequent quantities of ADCtH.

Yeah, and you can. When your DPS gets high enough, with rough 20% ADCTH, it heals quite well.

Alright, @30 now.

Level 10
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/w26Jq802
Level 20
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZoW8kvZ
Level 30
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNngm1O2

Starting to actually like this build the more I play, eis. It’s pretty beastly. Back in testing, FoI didn’t really appeal to me very much but now, in combination with Blitz etc. it’s pretty fun.

I switched off of the controller play for a bit earlier today and I am finding it a much faster playstyle with KBM (not really much surprise there I suppose).

Edit: The build is really coming in to its own @30+ (I’m now @32) as I’ve now gotten Elemental Storm bound to Blitz and I’ve found a number of pretty decent Greens to augment the build as well as crafted an Inferno relic and a couple Enchanted Flints to slot in my Weapon/Shield (a Warden’s Fortress). The Incendiary Casque I’m wearing was quite the find as well.

Ignius Ignitius is becoming positively lethal with excellent defenses to boot.

He’s just a total jerk. Trump gives him 2 thumbs up from America, with love!

I laughed a lil bit eis…

I am a bomb

Level 36 - Self-found/crafted & and sweet Jeebus does RNGesus love me. I don’t even have to move out of his SoC. Someone couldn’t handle the heat :rolleyes:

Me too. Also thanks for posting your progression.

On the one hand I’m intrigued by adding ADctH to the build, but on the other I rarely use Word of Renewal and Menhir’s Will is triggered even more rarely. That will certainly change towards the end, but I just found a Preserving Ikrix Scale of Protection and I look forward to being healed by Overguard.

Thanks for the laugh!

If you rarely use Word of Renewal is a 12% heal worth trading off resists/other bonuses and gear flexibility? Unless, of course, you intend to move the skill-points from Word of Renewal to something else. But, that then introduces a possible issue in a situation when you might want to use Overguard but you might also need to save a heal for unavoidable damage. Although, in my opinion Word of Renewal is quite useful as a maintained buff. The defensive ability, move speed, and %Damage reduction from Cthonics and Eldritch are of special note. Additionally, the modifiers to the base skill of Word of Renewal only contribute to the reasons to use Word of Renewal as a sustained buff.

I only meant that I will have another source of healing (I need one more level), so that ADctH will be needed even less. I would not be surprised, if I found an item with ADctH, too, so that I benefit of both.

I will definitely keep Word of Renewal, because there will be moments, when I will need it to survive.

Yup. Enjoying the build.

Level Progression

Vids

Edit: I decided to take on the Crucible (Note: I am not a Crucible expert) and made it thru 1-100 Aspirant (starting @Level 40 thru 42, by the end) with relative ease and no deaths and full x10 multiplier the entire way. I decided to gamble and continue on and bit the dust on level 105 (notably this is the first death for Ignius thus far) :slight_smile: Not too shabby I think. Kinda regret not cashing in @100 now tho.