Forum Etiquette

I find it ridiculous that I have to write this thread, but the pattern I am observing in this forum lately merits some warnings and instruction before I start dropping the metaphorical hammer…

This has always been a problem, but as the game continues to grow and more players discover it, it has become a consistent problem. New user makes a thread that disagrees with the status quo, whether that is about gameplay or visuals or features, and the regulars swarm to the rescue and basically beat down the new guy into submission or just leaving.

I consider this behavior to be reprehensible. I would like to point out some simple facts for everyone:

1. We don’t need defending.
We read almost everything and we can take criticism. Criticism is Not going to suddenly make us flip our shit and change everything that we are doing with our games.

2. Not everyone is going to agree with you (or us) about the visual direction, the gameplay, the features, the animations.
That is perfectly ok. No game is going to please everybody. Trying to force upon somebody that the way our game is doing it is the best is only going to end in a circular argument of subjective opinions.

3. Just because somebody posts on the internet does not mean that you have to reply to it.
Someone post something that makes you really angry? Don’t answer. Or take some time to cool off and post in a mature and constructive manner later. Senseless back and forth internet arguments that are based purely on subjective or emotional responses are a waste of your time and ours.

That is all. You may return to your seats. :cool:

Well said.

awwww but i had this glorious image in my mind of you guys flipping over desks and throwing keyboards out the window!! You’ve destroyed my illusions sobs

will try to follow the rules :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been wanting to say stuff like this for a while. I notice that some people will simply post out their opinion and then get hammered for it or people coming to the rescue of the game.

I like that people are passionate about GD, but at the same time it shouldn’t come as a surprise that some people are looking for more out of it… whether its out of ignorance or impatience or otherwise, it does not matter… they still have the right to say their piece.

Roger that :wink:

runs off to check post history

I saw this post on the internet so I replied.

Agreed :slight_smile: even it’s feb 2015 now :slight_smile:

Thanks man I’ve been part of the forums for over a year now, love what you are doing with the game and recently posted that the forum responses from a few senior contributors were often arrogant all-knowing and bordering on derogatory…you know who you are! Some of us enjoy playing w/o over-thinking or over - ‘geekifying’ the game but still want to contribute to the game by at least stimulating some critical thought…please keep the forums a friendly non-adversarial meeting point so this game can continue to grow and prosper…it takes all types…game on Grim Dawn!

I think that the problem has been adequetely described and I think people should be able to understand situations without analogy.

In case that is a work in progress, how about this:

You go to a car dealership and complain that a car doesnt start on cold mornings. A customer behind you says have you tried waiting til noon; it’s warmer then. How about pumping the gas pedal a few times first. Maybe you should try premium gas; it’s higher octane, you know.

Suppose you go to a department store to return a toaster that doesnt produce toasted bread even on the highest setting. A customer behind you says I always do it twice;it’s perfect then. Blackened toast probably causes cancer. They’re trying to save your life.

If you tell him to get lost, people will complain you made unhappy in their place.

Grim Dawn is described as an action role playing game, not a puzzle game. D2 and TQIT, I believe, established that as the end game. That, being a puzzle of finding the best skills, skill combinations, best items, components and game mechanics. Everyone wants good items, powerful skills and to understand what is going on, but a role playing gamer isnt typically interested in this being a puzzle nor an inordinate amount of collecting. They want to go through the game content as a demolitionist, nightblade,…

I think some of you need to realize you are in end-game puzzle mode. It’s great that Grim Dawn can provide that gameplay for those that want it. I dont think that should be expected of everyone who buys the game and has some comments to give under the early access agreement/offer of involvement. It not Normal or Normal Veteran material, in my opinion.

Grim Dawn isnt suppose to be easy. Players will have to pay attention but that isnt the same as saying you shouldnt have skill X because Y is more powerful and you need these items.

This thread should be bumped periodically.

I would add fourth item to the list:
“Do not mock Grohuf”

I’m most likely in the top #5 offender in this matter, and I apologize. I do have a tendency to throw my canister bomb at peoples head if they disagree with how grimdawn is developing, and I also heavily critique if there’s some part of the game I disagree with. I will tone it down in future posting, I love you all grimdonians.

Been an owner of this game for awhile, a lurker of the forums not quite so long, but long enough.

I guess this was posted at a time when things were more hostile, but I haven’t noticed that since (Jan? '15). I’ve only seen the community respect people, even if they do not agree with what the OP has posted.

Many many people seem to know the mechanics quite well, and while I am not a number cruncher, I do value the work that these people do in figuring out how skills work, the best sort of skill combinations and best builds.

Through tons and tons of bantering, people who have tested their numbers time and time again, helps others who come by, glean the knowledge that they pioneered, and make up their own minds about what builds to make.

This all wouldn’t have been achievable if it weren’t for the community at hand. Even the arrogance is bred from a deep love and extensive work they have put into the game. Again, I have not noticed this arrogance. People have their opinions, I respect that, and I deeply respect that the DEVs can take criticism and keep on chugging.

I wanted to let you know that from my perspective (I know this was writen a year ago) I have not noticed these issues. Love the DEVs, and the players for all the hard work that has gone into this game.

In summary…behave yourself ppl!

It’s nice to see it was a dramatic turnaround!

Good post, I sometimes avoid posting my thoughts because I know I’ll be met with fanboys who will beat me down for having a differing opinion.

Bumping this just in case anyone has forgotten or never read Zantai’s post.

If its quite alright, I will use a variation of this quote (as it reflects my feelings perfectly) for my guild. Life is short, constructive communication is absolutely essential. Be well, all!