Future DLCs

Hope upcoming DLC will do well and Crate will surprise us with another one. :smiley:

Rather they surprised us with something else myself. The teamā€™s been working on the game for many years now and need a break, try something different to keep the creative juices flowing and not get bored. We know thereā€™s a town builder being worked on, but after that ā€¦

Another expansion would make the game too long really, especially if the difficulty tiers arenā€™t changed. Better to have a few yearsā€™ break, come back refreshed and raring to go for GD2.

I, for one, want to see what else this talented team can come up with. :slight_smile:

as long as they release DLC for GD I will keep buying, I assume FG will be the last however, there are diminishing returns / fewer buyers with each one as the game gets older

also willing to buy new expansions more items masteryā€™s and lore

Canā€™t see that sort of DLC happening. Zantai had this to say on the subject in the 25th May live stream:

ā€œIf you ever decide youā€™re not going to make another GD expansion , would you consider doing New Mastery DLCā€™s?
Probably not. Each new mastery is expotentially more timeconsuming to do than the last. so if we were to do a mastery DLC that would be almost a good chunk of work as a new expansion would so Iā€™m not sure how likely that is to happen. Not to mention that adding a new mastery would fragment the community further than a new expansion in the base game.ā€

Unless they want to add a whole slew of items to the game I canā€™t see that being something theyā€™d want to do and as for more lore - well that would be better used for GD2 if they decide to make that in future.

And this re future expansions:

"Any plans for new expansions post Forgotten Gods?
Fogotten Gods isnā€™t even out yet and youā€™re asking me for expansions after that. That will depend entirely on how Forgotten Gods does, but realistically the team would probably like to try some new things soon. We canā€™t be working on Grim Dawn forever. And financially speaking each expansion will sell less than the last. So keeping that in mind, while we expect Forgotten Gods to pay for itself and make us a profit as a company Iā€™m not sure itā€™ll sell as well as Ashes of Malmouth did. Thatā€™s just the nature of people moving on to other games.

When we move on from Grim Dawn, will there be any possibility of picking Grim Dawn back up in the future - perhaps 5 or so years later?
I would certainly say thatā€™s entirely possible. Weā€™re not ruling out potentially doing a Grim Dawn 2 some day or some other games in the Grim Dawn universe. Thatā€™s all up to what the future holds. Itā€™s too early to say."

I think there has to come a time when the devs say itā€™s finished, done. Weā€™re not going to add anything else to this. More expansions would make the game too unwieldy, though being able to skip doing them does give players the choice of whether they do or not. But itā€™s still the same amount of work for diminishing returns.

they need to rest after Forgotten Gods. Itā€™s about time they reveal the other game too

I agree that they should move on from GD after Forgotten Gods. Iā€™m really hoping for a GD 2 one day, so Iā€™m hoping that whatever comes next sells well. Iā€™m a bit anxious that their town builder will fail and drag the company under. On the other hand theyā€™ve shown their talent with GD so Iā€™m confident theyā€™ll succeed. Go Crate! :slight_smile:

Well I expect Crate have done their sums and know what they need the town builder to sell enough copies of to cover their costs at least, though hopefully make a profit too. As Medierra said a few years ago, that genre looks pretty empty competition-wise. Wiki has only 3 city building type games being released in 2015, nothing for 2016 and only 1 last year. Wiki has 5 with a ā€œto be determinedā€ release date, but one of those - Medieval Mayor - has been on the shelf since 2013 so I canā€™t really see that happening now.

And I expect there are plenty of ideas for other games floating around in the teamā€™s collective heads. We just have to wait and see what they come up with. :slight_smile:

I would like to see something tactical /turnbased rpgesque from Crate. Better if it takes place in GD lore. I knowā€¦itā€™s just a dream.

I am still happy to support Crate and Grim dawns future expansions but i agree, without an overhaul getting through the game will become quite the Slog.

Well, in my wettest dreams iā€™m seeing a classic crpg (Baldurā€™s Gate / PS:Torment style) as a direct prequel to GD, about the eventā€™s that transpired into the Grim/Glorious Dawn, probably even from the Aetherialsā€™ perspective (and with an Aetherial as the protagonist :slight_smile: ).

Sweat dreamsā€¦

Would love more variety of endgame.

Iā€™m fine with them stopping on expansions after Forgotten Gods. I imagine theyā€™ll do bug fixes and balancing patches afterwards as well but I have to wonder how long theyā€™ll continue to support the game with changes to items/skills/devotion etc. or even if we can continue to expect more free/smaller content updates such as the recent item sets or new Bosses/areas such as Kraā€™Vall or the Ancient Grove.

Well, maybe if they see a need for them to be added, but I canā€™t see it being worthwhile otherwise. Some patches/balancing yes, Iā€™m sure Crate will do that, but unless thereā€™s a reallly good reason why they need to add 3 or 4 extra sets or another rogue dungeon I canā€™t see them happening. Of course they may surprise me yet again (as if they havenā€™t done that enough already! :eek:), but to me their efforts along those lines are better put towards a GD2 or other RPG game in the future. And weā€™re back to the question that started this thread - do they give such content away free earning nothing from it but the fansā€™ gratitude or do they charge for such small DLCā€™s? How many of the fans are going to want to buy 3 new legendary sets or a rogue dungeon? Crate is first and foremost a busiess, their work has to bring in money to pay bills, salaries, etc.

Even as far as balancing patches/bug fixes go, I still have to ask when they will decide that no more needs to be done or they consider the game is in a good enough state to move on from it as these are rather different to free content updates or expansions as they donā€™t involve developing new assets for the game but rather tweaking the ones that are already there.

That we will have to wait and see. :slight_smile:

I can see them adding free content after FG like a rogue dungeon (unless FG has a rogue dungeon, Eldritch themed, please?), but i would be fine if they stopped adding more content after FG.

Everybody eventually gets tired of working on the same thing and starts to want to work on new things.

No FG rogue planned.

There should be at least 1 more paid DLC (smaller than the expansions) focusing on going to Aether hold by some means (yes i read Zantai comment that its not a physical place!) and duking it out with the Council of Five.

I can see this as an extended end game questline, post Malmouth where with Anasteria help (or if you sided against her maybe the Aether guy you release in Fleshworks) find the means to get yourself in the Aether. Then its a long rogue like uber hard dungeon with the 5 either battling together or separetly. Concluding with some stalemate for the time being, leaving things open for GD2 but at least giving some closure.

I would gladly pay whatever price they ask, but i can see this being 6-7 EUR priced at most.

It should take relatively little effort, as the only new assets needed would be the Aether hold mobs (a few reskins of ghosts) + Council members + Aether environment itself.

From the 13th April:

ā€œWill there be more DLCs in the future?
Thatā€™s too soon to tell. Just as when we were working on the first expansion we werenā€™t really ready to commit thereā€™d be a second and that was entirely based on sales. So if expansion two does so well that we canā€™t possibly not do a third expansion, weā€™ll have to think about that. But in terms of the major story points we want to tell Forgotten Gods is kinda the culmination of some really big things weā€™ve been teasing along the way. And I wouldnā€™t say the story comes to an end, but it certainly does come to a major climax.ā€

Zantaiā€™s already said theyā€™re not tying up the story.

I expect heā€™s having a good laugh when he reads this thread. All this speculation and Crate have probably got 3-4 projects in various stages of development. It makes sense because theyā€™re not going to finish off the town builder and then say ā€œwill what shall we do next?ā€. :smiley: Thatā€™s not how Crate rolls.