Future of the game

When the game makes such a stink of being highly corruptible and its uses being literally one of the causes for the apocalypse, there’s so much my suspension of disbelief can take.

Over time i have accepted it in this game, but i agree with Zantai that it need to be enemy only in a possible sequel. Gives it an unique flavor by only allowing enemies to use it (plenty of RPGs do this by giving damage types and attacks to enemies exclusively).

I guess we could agree to disagree then. I hope that, if GD2 becomes a thing, Crate will agree with me.

Edit: but Crate better reduce inventory size to 6x6 squares, because carrying around dozens of items reaaalllyy pushes the limits of my suspension of disbelief…

Then why not simply using only Physical Damage type? :thinking: Enemies do not have high resistance against it, even armor is not a huge problem (even useless against Internal Trauma). At the same time, Vitality is the most resistant type, needs a ton of RR and number values to be good. Why bother trying it when there are much better alternatives? For every damage type we can find such statements.

Well, because humans are…corruptible? Flexible? Power-hungry? Desperate to survive, even at the terrible cost? Not all of them follow the same route of rationality and cold-blooded calculations, not in the world where everyone and everything wants to rob/kill you in better scenarios or make you an eternal host for some nightmarish creatures from beyond in the worst. Almost all mighty protectors are gone, the remaining few do not care and follow their own “important” mission. Humans are alone in this apocalypse, so the motto “To do the best you can with what you have got” remains. All tools of survival - even unreliable and corrupted - are used with different result for the same goal. So I am content with Aether/Chaos powers available to humans and Taken in particular.

Of course, there might be a scenario for GD2 where unnatural powers are forbidden and science with technological progress take place instead. For example, damage types for player will be: Physical, Pierce, Bleeding, Acid, Fire, Lightning and - in some advanced cases - Cold. Aether, Chaos and Vitality are “unnatural”, so only heretics, renegades and servants of arch-enemies can use them. No gods worshipping, no Devotion map, no such classes as: Occultist, Arcanist, Shaman, Necromancer, Oathkeeper, the rest are reworked or combined together. A rough sketch, yes, but with an ounce of rationality (I hope :laughing:). Not my favorite scenario though.

What will Crate do with GD2, if it even be released? I do not know, but it is up to devs. Some agree with selected damage types removal, other disagree. It is also their right, nothing wrong with that.

3 Likes

I mean, if we’re going to analyze whether it’s rational to use Aether and Chaos damage types in Grim Dawn scenarios, we can cut the whole debate short and say that the only rational thing to do in the situation described in the game is to commit suicide.

fleshworks victims would probably agree with that statement image

4 Likes

you can’t commit suicide if some mad-scientist-failed-surgeon-possessed-by-angry-alien-spirit turns you into a 3d flesh canvas for his ugly artwork project.

fleshworks. more like fleshwhoops.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.