Game Balance

Its not like devs aren’t aware of top tier builds anyways. I used to be a private tester for Marvel Heroes and it didn’t really matter what I tried to keep secret, Gaz’ own QA team was fairly competent in finding OPness and nerfing it.

Solid build nonetheless.

I could write so much about it but lets just say that in some games they aren’t :wink:

You can say that again :D:D:D

If you will “adjust SS” please don’t adjust it so much that it makes SS Blademasters totally useless. Currently BM kill times are twice that of Spell Breakers and that’s with really pushing it and trying hard.

The problem is NOT SS in I think. It’s the massive buffs to frostburn allowing 250K ticks along with ~200K SS. It’s like an extra SS every second. Not even 2h Bleed warders achieve that dot reliably unless it’s a super lucky blade arc crit.

Just this…then what will i play? my pierce BM is dead, my SB will too…just why?..why?

BTW with a lox dagger i can achieve about 4-5k more paper dps.

this is all intended… now with all these dead builds piling up, arent we all hyped up for the necromancer, the mastery of the dead? :rolleyes:

Thank you for pointing this out fluff, rather than nerfing things like SS and other arcanist abilities, which have existed for ages and yet were never broken it’s much better to point out what’s broken to avoid over-nerfs

The reason why many builds escape nerfs is because people are smart enough not to share them
For example this setup has been with JoV since a long time, he showed it to me in 1.0.0.8 during some discussion. Despite knowing it’s outright broken none of us (by us i mean a lot of people) bothered posting it. Sure eventually everything comes to light, since build posters aren’t some omniscient entities so even the concepts hidden now will soon be revealed but as long as they aren’t i’ma fuckin’ exploit them :rolleyes:

Again, i am not discouraging people from posting builds by screaming “nerfs”, heck i enjoy new builds and new build posters. But before posting know this whether you are prepared for nerfs, anything under 10 second Mad Queen is pretty much broken, titles like this are practically inviting nerfs.

You can say what you want but Breaker is broken at the moment

As for what you plan to play, nerfs don’t kill builds (exceptions exist). So breaker would still be more than viable, just won’t be killing MQ in under 10 seconds. So even after next patch i am sure this guide will be useful to the playerbase

I might have missed a few streams but i think Inquisitor is the class that we all should be looking for. The abilities seem unique and it seems pretty awesome with a convenient array of abilities and fits perfectly in the caster meta

I quote myself:
" I think if they nerf SB with some logic and not to the ground (oh my BM) it’s ok, but it’s not necessary "

What i don’t really want is the same nerf (bye bye) of pierce BM, that’s all.

And yes JoV share me this build months ago, but farm for it is a PITA.

If i farm hard i’ll want a great reward (referring about lox dagger, ecc.).

How much effort is needed to reach this level of build (quality of item setup)? then again to me it requires months (self found)!

What i mean is: i’m a casual player, really, i like few builds and i put all my free time (very little) to farm the necessary equipment and this require a lot of time and runs (you know better than me), so when i reach my scope they nerf them.

What can i do? at this point it’s better spending two hours or so with a tool and TADA…i’ve my pg; not really thank you, but no, i prefer to play something else.

…so every endgame pet build is broken for being able to do 10s MQs, and this is why there are so many different endgame pet builds out there and they’re completely dominating the endgame meta? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I’d hate to break the news to all the Pokemon fans that they’re exploiting a broken build, especially since they’re by far the most popular and active build thread in Grim Dawn’s history. :D:D:D

I don’t think any player can really design an arbitrary litmus test for what is “broken”. Crate intended for certain builds to be capable of certain feats. They intended for certain content to present a certain level of challenge. We don’t know what those boundaries are, so we can only offer feedback. Ultimately, Crate is the only one holding the “intent” card - that’s their prerogative as game designers.

I think Superfluff’s point is great and bears repeating: clearly Crate had intended to boost cold damage use, but perhaps they didn’t catch just how much frostburn that SS and related modifiers/item procs is capable of dishing out with the new enhancements. If the issue were inherent to SS itself, then we’d also be seeing similar performances with SS builds using acid, pierce, etc.

Sure you can say that, but the pH scale we use is based on the nerfing pattern by the developers so it’s pretty easy to predict what might get nerfed (even though they surprise us many times :rolleyes:)

Also, pet builds being this good isn’t actually public knowledge. Not many here play pet builds to know what they are capable of, despite the popularity of Jay’s Pokemon build. It has 1m players who use it and yet no one goes around saying they did a 3 second Rashalga kill using Jay’s build
Builds get nerfed when they draw unwanted attention through announcing titles, for example if i say “DM Spellbreaker” and the thread becomes popular then it might invite nerfs. But if my title reads “DM Spellbreaker 6 minutes Mogdrogen” then it almost instantly draws everyone’s attention and also warrants investigation into the build to nerf it.
I am tempted to use other examples to support my claims but i’d rather not. Pet build get nerfed only when a build pops up, last time they nerfed them it was when that chinese guy did a Mogdrogen kill. This time 6 second Queen kill by you and the really detailed explanation on your build might give them an idea regarding what they need to nerf

Of course somethings are intended to perform the way they currently do, Cadence is a single target skill, Fire Strike is an AoE skill, Shield builds are meant to be tankier than most other builds etc. etc. :slight_smile:

You should have seen some pet builds in earlier days, this ones now are just pale shadows, tho still ˝broken˝ shadows for today’s standards :wink:

And come on Zantai told that SS is source of opnes so so it has to be that :smiley:

Source? :eek:

Does Shadow Strike include any passive flat damage bonuses the player has? Or does it only modify it’s skill damage via it’s % modifiers applicable to the skill.

Not too familiar with GD melee skills, but comparing it to the previous engine (TQ). Only Primary attack - linked skills received flat damage bonuses from equipment or passive skill sources. Melee skills Phantom Strike/Lethal strike that were on “cast-time” only took it’s base skill damage and modified with % boni.

I can think of a lot of things to do with it if it now carries other flat damages. :stuck_out_tongue:

It does multiply flat damage indeed.
But AFAIK it doesn’t multiply base skill damage. At least when i asked Ryziel about Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends he said that it’s added after all %% damage calculated. Same with Cadence flat damage (though Deadly Momentum multiplies as it’s the buff that gives flat damage).

^^ This is correct.

I’m fine if you or others feel that you can predict what Crate will nerf - I’m not so confident when it comes to predicting game devs in general. However, I do think it’s a bit dangerous to use a metric as simple as MQ kill times to determine whether a build is “broken”. For example:

• S&B Cadence builds never posted impressive MQ kill times, but were still extraordinarily strong and well-balanced builds that were widely considered meta for endgame in the previous patches.
  • Pet builds can post great MQ kill times, but they also have myriad shortcomings that have generally prevented them from being effective at soloing Gladiator or becoming a dominant playstyle like shield builds have been.
  • SS builds can also post great MQ kill times. However, if you focus strictly on toning down their MQ/dummy kill times to be more consistent with other melee builds, then you also dramatically exacerbate their issues with staying power.

I’m sure that Crate has considered these and many other factors when looking at game balance. On the players’ part though, we shouldn’t encourage players to judge broken/non-broken based on using MQ kill speed as the sole metric; the type of build will greatly skew any comparisons.

To show the absurdity of relying solely on the MQ “metric”: even Tomo’s Witching Hour hybrid pet build can post a 9.5s MQ kill time. With ranged combat in its current craptastic state, I don’t think anyone is going to suggest that a ranged/pet hybrid is so strong as to be considered “broken”. :rolleyes: This does show though that Tomo has done a great job of keeping up with other pet builds, given that pure pet conjurers (such as Pokemon builds) currently post 7-10s MQ times. Thus, MQ is still a useful metric for comparing similar builds, although not necessarily for different types of builds that can have very different strengths and weaknesses. A 9.5s MQ on a pet hybrid vs on a S&B Cadence build will mean very different things.

I’m guessing that if Tomo were to post his Witching Hour build, Zantai would be far more likely to say “aww that’s cute” rather than “your under-10s MQ kill time means that your build is broken - NERF!”. (See Drizzto’s images as reference. :D)

You are joking or you dint looked at few last patch notes, and how they were made. Crate intensive ˝balancing˝ made GD more unbalanced than ever, and decision weather something will be nerfed or not is based on opinion not on testing.
Only thing that ˝saved˝ pet build is that almost no one mention them when talking about meta for long now, last time when they were mentioned nerfs came in next patch.

Work so hard on a character then it gets nerfed. Great stuff!

The real issue is how duration damage works with crits imo, full crit damage for the whole duration is just plain silly.

SS just exacerbates the issue with high % weapon damage and bonus crit damage.

Funny I could swear that acid/poison WH cant come even close to those times and not like poison dots are much weaker than frostburn :wink:
Im intentionally skipping bleed and blade arc here.