Game mechanic behind Voldrak and other monsters

I dunno about the game mechanic. I just pour every point I can into physique and then don’t ever stand still. You can’t facetank Voldrak because he will kill you in two hits. Or one if you don’t have enough in physique. The general thing to do is put everything into physique unless you need cunning or spirit to use a weapon or wear something. But running around is fine. It keeps me alive. I don’t mind facetanking when it’s feasible, but with Voldrak and some others, it just isn’t feasible. That’s why you learn to run around and kite him so you can wear him down, kill him, and get on with the game.

Yes, it took Grim Dawn to teach me to kite well.

you can facetank him, and physique pump isn’t necessarily gonna save someone on the hits, because the caveat with physique is it just increases hp and DA, so if you still have shit armour/phys res/actual dmg mitigation a hit can still hurt regardless of your physique
*also even if you happen to have pumped enough to become uncritable, that’s why to go for actual mitigation and not just rely on physique for defence other than additional stat bumps - physique is a good bonus, not your first or second line of defence
That is to say don’t think pumping physique necessarily will save your butt/will save you on its own, otherwise that butt might still get sore

1 Like

Worth mentioning Voldrak always has his MI equipped now, drastically varying how hard he hits. Hits hard in the first place, if the MI roles two physical affixes his damage goes through the roof.

I think most people know this by now, but didn’t see it explicitly said in this thread.