GD performance on my laptop

I play GD on a custom gaming laptop (hooked up to my TV through HDMI, made by a company called Eluktronics), which has the following specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core
8GB GDDR5 VRAM NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070
16GB DDR4 RAM
512GB Ultra Performance M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Windows 10 Professional

I really thought that this setup would be capable of delivering 60+ fps at all times, with potential exception of some Crucible waves. But even in some parts of towns like Devil’s Crossing where nothing is going on, I get dips into the low 50s and upper 40s. I mean most of the time I am getting 60 fps, but drops do happen on a regular basis.

I haven’t done a ton of troubleshooting yet, other than the tweak I found about setting max pre-rendered frames to “1” or whatever.

Resolution and graphics settings do not seem to matter. I can put everything on lowest graphics settings and 1024x768 resolution. Still can’t muster 60 fps in parts of Devil’s Crossing.

Before I proceed with troubleshooting, I just wanted to make sure this isn’t a normal experience that can be chalked up to the aging game engine and its inability to take full advantage of multiple CPU cores.

My bet is the game engine limitation

I have nearly the same machine (only major difference I have a 1060 with 6GB) and I get the same thing. Don’t think there’s anything to do to be honest, it seems to me they are engine limitations. A 10 series gpu should run this easily but in situations with lots of mobs and effects going off I barely get 30 fps sometimes.

Bro i dont know… these things i did on my pc helped me a lot try them just in case

-Check here C:\Users\YourPCname\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\Settings in the options.txt look for maxResourceThreads = 1 and set that to 8
(thats how many threads it says that your CPU has and mine has the same number)
-Check this app http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36036
-Set your FPS on max 60 through your gfx software

I did all the above and it really really helped me tho

looks like we need to buy the latest rtx cards to experience 60 fps in all scenarios . but question is will GD support ray tracing?

no it won’t, but that is not the only thing they offer… chances are you continue to be CPU bound however, so not sure you really gain much from them in the first place

Thanks for the replies. Setting maxResourceThreads = 8 seems to have helped a good bit.

Have you read the User contributed common solutions, specifically the Create a Nvidia Game Profile for Grim Dawn post?

Got the same rig as OP, but on PC, GTX 1060.

Think you could have the best rig the market has to offer, the question will always be “but can it run Grim Dawn?”

Honestly it’s no secret the game doesn’t utilize system resources nearly well enough to support a lot of it’s features. Pet builds are a nightmare. Multiplayer, especially crucible, is just where you need to be content with 20-30fps even with the lowest graphical settings.

It sucks. :cry:

Costum laptop, The only thing you can change in a laptop is ram, hard drive, and thats about it.

So you wont get much from a laptop with modern games.

For Grim Dawn, it uses cpu more then graphics card. So it’s not the graphics that is the problem it’s the cpu, Also Grim dawn uses one thread more then the others. That is why the fps is low sometimes, you can’t change that that much with changes you make. It can go up a tad bit by going to notepat and changing the threads from 1 to 4, 6 or 8. But you will still not get 60+ fps all the time, because Grim Dawn will always use 1 thread mostly.

clearly you have no idea what you are talking about, about the only thing I cannot get that a desktop has is SLI - and yes I can get desktop CPUs and a 1080 (not M) in a laptop

Post a link with a laptop that I can change, the processor, graphics, sound card, wifi adapter.

Look at avadirect, sound card I have not seen (not that I actually looked for one, sound cards are dead as far as I am concerned, in the desktop as well), everything else you can choose in many models (to a degree the cpu and graphics card will obviously also limit the model you can use as the base).

Funny, you started out by saying the only thing you can change is RAM and HD. So being able to choose CPU or graphics card is already enough to prove you wrong…