Gear prioritization during Normal leveling?

As i am leveling through normal difficulty (sometimes with or without veteran enabled) i am encountering a lot of monsters whose damage output is usually enough to instantly kill my character.

This is despite me putting nearly every point in physique and trying to mix defensive and crowd-control spells along with offense spells.

So far my gear choices have been around “green” quality items that have ideal damage type bonuses (lets say lightning/electro + fire/burn).

However at this point (lvl 70 normal, doing first expansion content) i am wondering am i supposed to prioritize getting the maximum resistance against all damage types - while neglecting the damage bonuses (unless luck just gives me the perfect item)?

Most of the monsters never get to even reach me but bosses and storyline bosses often just instantly kill me from full, despite having a ton of physique.

this doesn’t prevent dmg, nor reduce it as such
Physique invest is alround solid, but it’s just a means to beef your HP up, and hopefully provide enough baseline DA so you dont’ get crit
*CC is also useless against bosses btw

your main focus on armours should be Resistances
cap your resist and you reduce dmg by 80%, very simple concept
aside from that you want armour rating, and some absorb increase (scaled hide in legs and shoulders)
Resistances are your primary defence, and the main dmg mitigation layer the game is centred around

some useful tips

^personally i value/“rank” HP a bit higher than Dragon but his list is solid regardless

2 Likes

That’s a mistake for most of leveling imo. Most of your gear slots should be about getting best resistances. You can get enough damage from weapons, skills, devotion, damage components. You’re choosing between sth like 3% more damage and receiving twice / thrice less damage of some type. It’s obvious which is better.

Unless it’s a helmet / belt / relic with +1 to your mastery, amulet / medal with skill modfiers to your main skill etc.

When I play, I usually have all resistances except Chaos capped or close to 80% against Krieg already.