Global damage conversions listed as skill damage conversions

10 min ago or so it showed a nice table, I think accident occured and resulted crashlike wall of text

3 Likes

The table got fixed.

Yeah, but if the skill conversion and GLOBAL conversion is worded the same, it makes confusions.

You can’t have two same texts and be aware to expect different results…

The table got fixed, the link to colourful and URL links was added.

2 Likes

i’m confused by your listing of items
some of the items you list does not do global conversion but only skill direct conversion
meanwhile others you list, worded the same, does do global conversion
a bit confused by the listing in the table

it’s pretty self explanatory in most cases, the only potential confusion there can be is when a buff might seem like a regular buff but is actually an attack aura, and all people might not know that difference, in all other cases where conversion is part of a buff, the conversion is always global (since by definition it’s conversion tied to a global buff so the conversion becomes global too)

here in this table my confusion is much greater, because you list direct attack skills, as if they are part of the global conversion scheme, when they are not
Blade Arc, Cadence, Dreeg’s Evil Eye, Shadow Strike, Primal Strike, Savagery, Upheaval, Reaping Strike, Righteous Fervor - these are all regular attack skill, and any conversion only applies to that skill directly and is never global
(in fact conversion mods to some of these skills doesn’t even convert the entire skill because they have secondary effect mechanics included, like Cadence/Deadly Momentum, Primal Strike/Torrent, and Shadow Strike/Nightfall)

Wait a second… You are confused and I am confused even more…

If there is an “aura or attack skill”, dealing, let’s say, only COLD damage, and there is an item, saying
100% physical damage converted to fire damage to “aura or attack skill”, it is NOT a global conversion?

The base “aura or attack skill” is not dealing or having any physical damage…

no, it’s still direct skill conversion, “in case you got any of that dmg type”, ex the intention could be the modifier was to be used in different direct dmg build, and devs wanted to make sure it could benefit from additional dmg sources “to that skill” like regular weapon dmg/base weapon dmg
any regular attack skill fits this always
Cadence conversion is even a little extra special if you will, since it only converts Cadence hit itself, 3rd hit, not the two first hits even if it was wps or "blank"white attack - where as other AAreplacer with direct conversion would convert wps “through” the default attack replacer

conversion is only global, when the conversion modifier is attached to a regular buff skill, Pneumatic Burst, Blood of Dreeg, Spectral Binding, Harbinger of Death, Menhir’s Bulwark, Field Command, etc etc, these are global buffs, so conversion modifiers to such skills makes the conversion global too

then you have the “confusing” buffs i mentioned earlier

couple other exists ofc

you also have skills with an on “proc” buff effect, like Deadly Momentum in Cadence, Lethal Assault in Amarasta’s Blade Burst and ofc Soul Harvest in Bone Harvest
^while they themselves are global buffs, since they are part of another skill and triggered “not an individual buff”, not only would direct conversion applied to ex Bone Harvest not confer global conversion to Soul Harvest buff, it would not even directly convert Soul Harvest itself either

more on secondary effect mechanics like Soul Harvest etc here

2 Likes

OK, in that case, this “thread” is a perfect candidate to be deleted…

Wait another second, please,

E.g. - In the case of Blade Arc, there is no item adding any Aether damage to Blade Arc, so it could be converted locally within the skill only, so how that conversion could even work, if it is not global?

prime example
Spectral Binding in Necro
the Halberd is very geared towards Death Knight, and it just happens to be that global flat aether dmg is in necro (and krieg set i think toO?),
so what the modifier does is, “if you were deathknight/had any outside blade arc/global flat aether”, like items, augments, then the modifier makes sure to still convert that flat on each blade arc hit, so your bonus flat aether dmg wasnt’ lost/wasted

2 Likes

That sounds exactly like global conversion to me. Any flat aether damage will be converted to Physical damage, if the Halberd is equipped and Blade Arc is used…

nonono that is direct conversion “Only applies to Blade Arc and blade arc hits”
global conversion means everything, means it would convert other skills, devotions etc
the halberd would not even convert aether dmg in a devotion skill attached to blade arc, because it’s direct skill conversion
global conversion would mean it would convert Reap Spirit etc “other skills not directly mentioned” or ex if you slapped Aetherfire devotion on it

ex of global conversion

this would apply to everything that has aether dmg, thus is global and not specific/direct single skill only

2 Likes

You make my head explode… I am not being offensive, just describing my state right now…

Need to repeat my point again: If two or three things, different in their BEHAVIOUR are worded the same, I am unable to know, that “50% aether damage converted to Physical damage” text will cause different behaviour, depending on if it is attached to AURA, to spell (with only inner conversion) or to skill, which is looking if I have damage type (not dealt by the skill) on my gear.

This makes GD less understandable and predictable.

welcome to the giant mess of a maze that is Grim Dawn conversion :rofl:
(i’m not even gonna dive into the confusion that is conversion slot priority, just know that there are elements to conversion that’s even more mind melting)

1 Like

The global conversion with auras and buffs or temporary auras / buffs - does it work with all of them?

yes, again assuming it’s a regular buff and not actually a dmg aura (Vindictive Flame/Aura of Censure example)

any regular buff, “passive” that doesn’t attack/hit enemies unlike Counterstrike does, Censure etc would be global conversion
if conversion is on Vindictive Flame/Aura of Censure or Counterstrike type buffs then the conversion only applies to the dmg the attack aura deals

2 Likes

I believe Rylok Mark also converts Lightning damage into Vitality damage for Primal Strike (that’s the whole point of it, Aeither->Vitality conversion is just a bonus).

You cant mix “global” and “local” convertion.
Skill-specific convertion (“local” one) takes priority before “global” one, and they stack multiplicatively with “global” ones, not additively.
For example, you equip a Rylok Mark and Valaxteria Arcane Robes. The conversion on the latter wont work for the Primal Strike skill itself, because conversion on Rylok Mark takes priority and leaves no lightning damage to convert from.
However, if you equip a Rylok Mark and Mythical Korvan Wyrm, then you get 50% of lightning damage converted to vitality, and the rest 50% - to physical for Primal Strike (because those have the same priority and stack additively. Same for 2 items with global convertion from the same damage type. Elemental damage and fire/cold/lightning damage are considered DIFFERENT damage types for that purpose.
And skill-specific convertion works ONLY for base skill itself. In case of Primal Strike, it doesnt work for Torrent, for example. And it doesnt work for devotion procs linked to it either.

1 Like

Whoo, this becomes quite a long conversion HowTo.
@Sir_Mac, I haven’t read all of this here, but maybe the following helps:

Default is: All conversions are Global.
Exception is: If this conversion is tied to a DAMAGING Skill, it goes only for that damaging skill.

Examples:

• Conversion for BladeArc - NOT Global, cause Blade Arc deals damage => It’s only for that skill
  • Conversion for Pneumatic Burst - Global, cause PB doesnt deal damage
  • Conversion for Vindctive Flame - NOT Global, cause: VF deals damage by itself
  • Conversion for Harbinger of Souls - Global, cause: Sure, it ADDS damage to your attacks, but it does NOT DEAL dmg on its own.
  • Conversion for Veil of Shadows - NOT Global, cause VoS deals dmg on its own, and only this dmg gets converted.
3 Likes

Woaaaaa, so simple explanation, I like this one bit. :star_struck:

1 Like

All conversions are global, except ones are not global. :rofl:

1 Like

You got it! :+1: Happy to help :wink:

believe, I know about conversions more than anyone else