Grava'Thul, the Melee Nemesis

In schools they skip teaching how to read and directly teach how to write nowadays? Damn good old times…

It’s a shame schools still haven’t taught when one is or is not being replied to.

The thread is about facing the boss in multiboss environment, Crucible and shards without aggro abuse if you fancy that. I specifically mentioned “pack of bosses” twice. There are gamemodes where you can’t avoid them.

2 Likes

I’m aware. And even when you can’t avoid such bosses from multipulling, you can still kite.

Z also explained how severely nerfed Grava is in the Crucible, though to my knowledge he does retain most of this effectiveness in SR.

It worked to some extent before 1.1.6.0. Now i get killed due to chain interruptions too often. Maybe i need to improve my skills.

So last night was the first night I played in a while. Took a dual damage (acid/cold) Yugol relic witch hunter into 65-66 SR. On the 66 boss room, with the worse unfavorable mutator being the +crit -oa on mobs, Grava was one of the nemesis in the room.

Now, I think most of the people on the forums know that most dual dmg builds aren’t that good. I built it to meme and to use Yugol’s as it is without conversion while using 2 damage types.

As long as I slowly spun away and semi kited the pools while avoid nulls, I faced tank him/her with sufficient life leech and both on demand heals.

I don’t camera abuse, however this build is meme and I did fight him/her alone as the other 3 came first.

Prior to Z’s buffing of the relic, this build was having issues because of the damage output and the original devotion path was bad.

It is in a really good place now and mostly done.

The point is, I won’t deny that (in certain contexts or conditions) this nemesis is rough. But overall, I think where he/she is currently, is fine as is.

If anyone wants a grimtools link, I can pm it. Along with current stats of its performance. Sorry no vids.

Thanks for teaching me something my family and my teacher forgot to teach me, my good sir. You’re a scholar and gentleman.

If you think she is good as she is, you can save your time by not reading and answering this and similar posts, it’s not Nazi Germany as I know.

Ofc you have freedom of answering every post, I just think you can have more spare time to watch funny YouTube videos of people capable to do everything.

But I’m an old chunk of coal, what do I know.

On a side note: Noone says she is impossibe to kill, as much as I read. Its good to have a powerful, successful female npc in game, I’m not sexist.

Before this thread gets weirdly off-topic about manners and hopefully returns in the direction it needs to, I’d just like to point out that Grava is a dude…and probably pictures his nemesis as a male, although who really checks under the tentacles of a chthonic void monster.

5 Likes

It took me many re-reads to remember that Grava is not just a fictional boss and that “his nemesis” wasn’t an innuendo.

Still got Iron Maiden and Anasteria.

1 Like

If i understand correctly how the skill works, Voracious Reach deals 12x2 = 24 hits per second (DW) with AS capped. In this case fumble pools work as dmg reduction and don’t affect the consistency of leech (not to mention the skill has high built-in leech).

Inconsistency of leech is the main problem for me. When you have a series of 3-4 misses with a two-hander surrounded by nemesis’, it means you have zero leech for over a second. There is not much you can do to survive against burst. Unless you have safe abilities like Ghoul and Primsatic… which are blocked by Grava’s disrupt charge.

You are very much absolutely correct and I see your plight.

I have noticed this issue when trying to kill him with a Sav/PS Warder. Although it was very under geared and in HC so I might have been doing more running then usual but still couldn’t leech enough to stay and fight for any period of time that would make a dent in his life total. All other nemesis I could fight at the time could be facetanked with some mild kiting if needed plus wendigo totem and life leech.

Thank you for reminding me.

I don’t have any more suggestions but is this type of build (slow hitting melee) the only one that is really suffering?

If it is then I don’t know what can be done as that is very limited situation.

Okey, I love everyone; he, or she or any L,G,B,T,I. From now on I refer him as male. P.S: I’m not that open with my personel life but I have to say, I’ve seen one or two chicks with “tentacles”

Lets get back to on-topic then:
What about him purging consumables? Should we stop farming for them? Or dump ghoul, blade spirit, serenity or any other combo breakers?

He cant kill me, or successfully purge my buffs every time I encounter. As a matter of fact, he is the one of the easier ones, mostly on acount of him having %10 pierce res, I can nuke him pretty fast. However, this is my side of the story; my experience must be taken as grain of sand. Other players may have different experiences with him. So me can successfully kill him %80 of time without dying does mean very little.

But getting caught by that projectile time to time and losing things which cannot be gained back with one push of a button unlike regular buffs, is kinda annoying.

P.S: I think he is overnerfed for crucible.

Not really a fan of this personally, and I barely use consumables as it is. At least Experience Potions are no longer purgeable :smiley:

2 Likes

As mentioned in the OP, all of my melee builds suffer from it. DW is less affected but still the number of attacks you output with any autoattack replacer on a minmaxed build is roughly in the same league. Chanelling skills are different.

So the whole playstyle - melee autoattackers - is affected. If devs are fine with it, so be it. I’m just here to report the things that, in my opinion, negatively affect Grim Dawn experience.

2 Likes

Definitely. I hear you and because it affects you, I see it as valid as it affects your gameplay experience. But, like you said, it’s up to Crate to change it and if not what can ya do.

If only there were forum signatures still…
This one might be worth copypasta to the end of my posts though

1 Like

Here. Made you a little AutoHotKey executable. All you have to do is extract it, run it - it will appear down in your taskbar. When it is running just type in the word sig followed by a space and it will then convert the word sig into a premade Imgur link of an image I made of that “signature”.
grava_signature.zip (522.8 KB)

Of course, if you know how to do a little scripting already you can easily just make your own with AutoHotkey.

You now have signatures on GD forum, like so ('bout as easy it will get unless Zantai decides to enable signatures on the forum). I decided to go with an image of the quote rather than having it print the actual quote itself so that it would spare Grava from having his forums notifications blowup with alerts of people actually quoting him.

Just a thought but if a build struggles that much against Grava in Crucible, just play in the Crucible of the Legion arena (larger arena means more breathing room)? I see no issue with Grava.

There is no issues with room. Faster bosses will surround you and fight you together no matter where you go. It’s one of the major issues in this game for me. Ultra-speed of some bosses invalidates positioning.

Been a while since I played crucible but not all boss are ultra-speed. Crucible of the Legion is pretty large, every little helps to survive, extra time for other boss to reach you and easier to kite. Leap or teleport around corners, or kite with rune of vampiric shadows for healing, w/e it takes to survive (including consumables).

Just for clarity, is this feedback based on crucible of the dead, high SR, no kiting, no consumables or any other requirements?

Ultimately, someone has to be the hardest Nem. In the era of CC res being much more abundant I get his fumble often making him more deadly than the others even if effectiveness is already halved, but I don’t feel he is unbalanced.