Grim Dawn DoTs for Dummies: A Primer

Woah that was fast! Thanks!

Was checking to see if info is up to date, good job updating for the expac
Somethings you might want to mention though :-

1. IT’s lack of duration is no longer a problem due to new belt (Lacerator Girdle) and Octavius Set
    It is gear dependent but is good enough to make a build around it

2. Frostburn know has Chillflame Scepter which would allow Burn to Frostburn conversion (Fire -> Cold) making pretty much all of Burn sources good Frostburn Sources

3. Electrocute now is supported through skill mods as well, you didn’t mention Stun Jacks as an electrocute source (can’t recall how strong it is w/o skill mods).
    Lightning Tether is the main source of electrocute, Storm Box’s electrocution potential isn’t strong
    And don’t take my word for it since I tried this pre-expac but Spark of Ultos’s Frostburn -> Electrocute conversion isn’t potent enough to be built around

4. Blight Fiend scales with pet bonuses, do mention it.
    Ravenous Earth is more of a shotgun skill and less of a DoT skill
    Bone Harvest has the strongest Necro poison support through DG set
    You missed out Blood Pox being a Poison Source

5. Vitality Decay still lacks %Duration to support it. The strongest Vitality Decay build is essentially a Poison Build i.e a DEE based Vitality Decay build using Blood Orb of Chthon conversion.
    The current lack of duration and lack of gear hinders non-Blood Orb Vitality decay a little bit (in my experience)
    Reap Spirit is a pet with % Weapon damage, but a pet nonetheless. Building around it for DoT w/o %pet damage wouldn’t be wise imo

6. Hellhound is a pet (pretty much anywhere you are using non-player scaled sources you should mention it)

Okay, maybe stupid question, will ask anyway:

When a weapon (or in my case: two weapons) have flat bleeding damage and a WPS (in my case: Execution) is used, does the %-Weapon Damage-Modificator apply to the bleeding damage?

Example:
My Bladesong has 500 Flat Bleeding Damage, Execution gives 250 % Weapon Damage. 500x2,5=1250 Flat Bleeding Damage?

And would a less than 100 %-Weapon-Damage-Modifier lessen the flatBleeding Damage?

Background of these questions:
I have 2 skill points, both Whirling Death and Execution are at 8/8.
10/8 Whirling Death for 80/5sec more Bleeding (and 80 % Weapon Damage) or 10/8 Execution for 12 % more Weapon Damage (from 265 % to 277 %)?

@Chthon
TY, I’ll update the first post accordingly. I didn’t list some sources (like Stun Jacks) because I only wanted to list the top 5 or 6 sources.

@Rhylthar
You are correct in your example, you would do 1250 bleeding damage from your weapon damage (WD) as a source. A subsequent Whirling Death hit would add the listed Bleed damage on the skill with no modifier (because that source is from the skill itself, which stacks with WD source), but otherwise will have no effect until the Bleed from the Execution hit expires. This is because of the rule that given the same DoT source, the highest damage takes precedence.

So to answer your question on whether or not to go 10/8 for Whirling Death or 10/8 Execution, you just run a little numbers…

10/8 Whirling Death will give just an extra 16 bleed/second (WD component of Whirling Death will always be overridden by Execution).

10/8 Execution gives 12% of your Flat bleed damage.

Therefore, the cut off point for Execution to be better than Whirling Death is 16 * 100/12 = 133.333. If you have more Flat damage than that, Execution will be better; if you have less you should go Whirling Death.

I know the answers, I think, but in case it’s useful for others (or my assumptions are wrong)

When does the game world populate and is the host the only queue the game uses for this?

Source of the question… hitting nemesis during a play session but having not entered an area, can the nemesis spawn before a game is reloaded? The host has to be nemesis for this to happen at all, right, a player can’t enter the game and based on his rep a nemesis will spawn?

My assumption is you’d have to reload the game for it to factor in the chance for a nemesis to be present, and only the host rep is considered.

I’m now slightly confused. I’d like to do a DW acid/poison character which should probably be nightblade/occultist (). From the linked build, NHH makes the other WPS their own sources of poison so they would stack, but without NHH the WPS would be counted as a single source (of poison damage from gear/devotions/etc) & the highest damage one is counted first.

So, if I SS into a mob, that would apply 1 poison from SS’s weapon damage component, 1 from NJE & the frostburn/vitality decay from nightfall (though any poison from the weapon damage component would be ignored initially as the poison from SS itself would take precedence).

Then if I keep on hitting the mob, I’d get poison stacks from the default attack (which would only do damage after the initial poison from SS has run out), plus the poison’s from NHH as delivered/applied by any WPS that proc & any poisons from the weapon damage components of the WPS (again, they get applied after any higher damage weapon damage-based poisons have run out, in descending order of damage per sec).

How are the weapon damage poisons deal with, do they all get applied eventually, one at a time or is there a time limit which could make very old poisons get ignored/dropped?

From post #45/46, all gear/devotion/passive skills (not including NHH, as that would only apply to the WPS) that give flat poison damage get added together (so, the dots from the Ring of the Black Matriarch, Vilioth’s Bile, Merciless Repertoire, various devotion nodes), buffed by any +% poison/all damage & then applied any time I poke anything with a pointy stick (further buffed/nerfed by any +% weapon damage on the WPS that happen to proc)

On the second character tab, where it says x-y poison damage & the row below gives a +z% poison damage, is the x-y damage the figure after % damage bonuses have been applied, or before? And is that x-y poison damage per sec (presumably over 5 secs, plus any duration bonuses)?

Sorry for all the questions, but it’s either this or put a load of files into boxes to be put into storage…

This is correct.

So, if I SS into a mob, that would apply 1 poison from SS’s weapon damage component, 1 from NJE & the frostburn/vitality decay from nightfall (though any poison from the weapon damage component would be ignored initially as the poison from SS itself would take precedence).

Also correct.

Then if I keep on hitting the mob, I’d get poison stacks from the default attack (which would only do damage after the initial poison from SS has run out), plus the poison’s from NHH as delivered/applied by any WPS that proc & any poisons from the weapon damage components of the WPS (again, they get applied after any higher damage weapon damage-based poisons have run out, in descending order of damage per sec).

More or less right here.

How are the weapon damage poisons deal with, do they all get applied eventually, one at a time or is there a time limit which could make very old poisons get ignored/dropped?

Can you elaborate on what you mean here?

From post #45/46, all gear/devotion/passive skills (not including NHH, as that would only apply to the WPS) that give flat poison damage get added together (so, the dots from the Ring of the Black Matriarch, Vilioth’s Bile, Merciless Repertoire, various devotion nodes), buffed by any +% poison/all damage & then applied any time I poke anything with a pointy stick (further buffed/nerfed by any +% weapon damage on the WPS that happen to proc)

Correct.

On the second character tab, where it says x-y poison damage & the row below gives a +z% poison damage, is the x-y damage the figure after % damage bonuses have been applied, or before? And is that x-y poison damage per sec (presumably over 5 secs, plus any duration bonuses)?

X-Y damage is after % bonuses are applied. Damage is per second over 5 seconds excluding % duration bonuses.

If you have 100 poison damage & hit the target 5 times in 2 seconds (for simplicity’s sake, assuming no other skills with higher damage to complicate matters), I assume that you would apply 5 instances of poison which would do damage consecutively rather than concurrently. You would therefore be doing poison damage for 25 seconds (or more if you have any duration bonuses). Is there a limit to the number of instances of poison damage that can be stacked on a target waiting to do damage before some of the stacks time out?

You would apply that instance of Poison 5 times but all each application would do is refresh the DoT over and over as they are from the same source (and no applied DoT is presumably stronger than the others). The duration thus would not stack as you described either.

Got it, ta.

Found this very informative, thank you!

This is super helpful–thanks so much!

One question: I found a reference someplace else stating that “each dot damage type stacks up to a maximum of 4 applied at a time, the highest dot applied at a time is automatically scaled to 100% damage. The following 3 are scaled to 75, 50 and 25 %”

Does anyone know whether that is correct/up to date?

No, that’s nonsense. All separate DoT sources stack fully, with each source of added damage being considered its own source.

A very basic question: does “100 bleed damage over 3 seconds” mean 3 ticks of 33 damage each, totaling to 100, or 3 tics of 100 damage each?

Rather this than the other option. 100 Bleeding damage dealt in 3 seconds, not 300.

right–thanks!