Grim Dawn Linux Guide (Updated: 3/2/2016)

It was a update from the update manager of my distro.

I C: PoL still doesnā€™t show any staging versions past 2.21, but does show up to 3.3 non-staging.

My knowledge of Linux is quite limited but is it me or are you using fewer libraries for the game then those on the guide i posted in my previous reply? Perhaps thatā€™s whatā€™s borking your install?

I try the guide in the first post of this thread and this guidehttp://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=362606 but both dont work.

I read in one post, that the install of vcrun2015 from grim dawn broke the wine install. Is this true?

According to the guide i posted:

Installing vcrun2015

Note: vcrun2015 has to be installed before first launch of Grim Dawn. Otherwise the game installs vcrun2015 for you and breaks Wine. If you accidentally launch Grim Dawn one time, you will have to delete the virtual drive and start over from the beginning.

i install vcrun2010, vcrun2012 and vcrun2015 with winetricks befor i start the the gog installer grim dawn.
the gog installer install automatically vcrun2010, vcrun2012 and vcrun2015. i cant cancel the vcrun install.

I donā€™t have GoG so i donā€™t know if there are any differences in the approach to the installation VS Steam.

Are you using PlayonLinux (PoL)? Please note that, in the guide i posted, vcrun2015 isnā€™t installed the same way the other libraries are: vcrun2015 is installed within PoL (as the others), but in a different way.

I canā€™t help further because i only have about 6 months experience with Linux myself :frowning:

Hello Iā€™ve been playing the game nicely over 100 hours with DXVK but as of today and seemingly for no reason Iā€™m getting a black screen on startup

The only change I can think of is that I created a new character, my 4th.

I get a black screen and can hear the sound, sometimes I get the hand cursor, but I cannot progress from there, until the Force Quit prompt appears.

The only errors I see in the console are:

Timed out waiting for game mapping!
0088:err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 856 bytes in thread 0088 eip 7b43d6f6 esp 00240fd8 stack 0x240000-0x241000-0x340000

Iā€™ve tried removing DXVK but the error is identical, and Iā€™ve tried running Repair.exe, but it wonā€™t run, I get an out of memory issueā€¦

Any help would be really appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is youā€™ve updated a package in your OS or you have a hardware failure (do you have other games you can run to see if they crash?).

Have you also tried Steam Proton?

No Manā€™s Sky works running in another similar prefix, so I think my hardware is ok.

Iā€™ve tried the Proton version, but last I tried a few weeks ago it didnā€™t work properly, seemed to be because it triggered the copy protection, so you couldnā€™t level properly or create characters.

Iā€™ve tested in /d3d9 mode too, that also fails the same way.

Yep, just confirmed it still activates anti-cheat :confused: (Iā€™m on a GD hiatus). Sorry, thatā€™s me out of ideas.

You using nVidia or AMD card?

I had quite a lot of issues when i used oibafā€™s package (AMD card). These were gone when i used default package (the one that installs with Ubuntu, in my case) and later with padokaā€™s package, which iā€™m currently using.

I had stuff like this happen, for example:

Never errors such as the one you describe, though :frowning:

If you have an nVidia card, you may want to re-install the nVidia drivers. This is quite old but very similar to yours and the solution was just that.

Iā€™m using NVidia,

I guess Iā€™ll try reinstalling the drivers then, it seems to be the only other option, but no other games seem to have issue.

Let us know if it works.

If it doesnā€™t, try installing the last nVidia drivers you know have worked before.

Iā€™v tried reinstalling drivers, it hasnā€™t helped.

I read somewhere about setting UPnPEnabled to false in options.txt that also didnā€™t work.

Another tip was to use Alt+enter to switch windowed mode, and this gave me a new Fatal Error Popup with an error Iā€™ve not seen before:

Error: Failed to create D3D Surface for Window. No GPU supporting D3D10_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_1 or higher was found.

Not sure where to go next apart from a DDG search.

Are you using Proton by any chance?

No, not using Proton, Iā€™m using the latest Wine staging.

Anyone know what repair.exe does? Maybe I can replicate it.

Iā€™m having the same issue. Worked flawlessly for the last 18 months, now either black screen or the Crate logo and then it freezes there.

I only just intalled dxvk a couple of days ago to see if PoE worked DX11 yetā€¦ perhaps bad move.

Issue remains after trying Wine Win 10 and Win 7 compatibility and also ā€˜setup_dxvk64 resetā€™ and ā€˜setup_dxvk32 reset.ā€™

Did you change anything recently or did it seemingly just happen randomly?

Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s because I changed in game settings or created a new character.

You guys sure that dxvk didnā€™t get an update at all that borked something? I suppose if worse comes to worse you could toss /d3d9 in the launch options .

Iā€™ve tried without DXVK and Iā€™ve tried the new update to it

Iā€™ve also tried the /d3d9 flag.

All give me the same result, black screen with sound, but no Crate logo.

Iā€™m convinced this is a similar error that Windows users get and usually resolve with the Repair.exe, but that doesnā€™t run for me.