Grim Dawn Version 1.1.7.2 Hotfix 2

dual wield pistol builds are often weak for clearing groups of monsters. especially in levelling phase. they rely heavily on kiting & aoe spells against groups. but in end game level, decked in top gears, they can wreck crowds easily with spells and procs just like many other decent builds.

I did not mean my build in particular, it works as you say perfect, but rather the nerfes of skills in general.
The weakness of Pistol Builds in “low level” is not that hard, when you take your time and dont rush through the Acts.

thing is, crate often gives indirect buffs to other stuff to make up for the nerf they gave to some builds. its up to players to ‘do the best they can with what they’ve got’.

this is why basically, with every patch, every builds should review their own set up to see whats the new meta.

personally, i think crate gave a lot of buffs in general compared to the amount of nerfs throughout grim dawn history. and look at how vast the current itemization is. not to mention the great MI revolution that comes with monster totem updates.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Feedback on the main campaign and more

(EDIT) I was able to fix this issue by rolling back to yesterdays Item Assistant backup files, which restored the skill points and all items/components. Only one day of progress lost, I can live with that :slight_smile:

Have launched GD today, not long after the 6mb auto-update to the game files via Steam, to find my both rings, and the chest, shoulder and hand armor missing. Also missing are almost every purple item from my characters inventory and every stash tab, and all mats from my stash.

All skill points in my second class (Inquisitor) have been removed, and are not available to reapply.

Cloud saves disabled, using Item Assistant and Grim Internals successfully for a good while. Very keen to get my items and skill points back back somehow.

That’s a little worrying, from my perspective.

Does that mean that we are on the list, but in the back. Or does it mean something worse?

Since when did you ever imagine that Linux issues ever received priority? Hint: Linux isn’t even officially supported.

I’m confused! Did I mention anywhere that I was expecting priority treatment? I explicitly stated “Back of the list”

Thanks for the input tho

Take it how you want. I’m speaking on the reality of it. They don’t publicly support Linux. The only bone they ever threw Linux was when Proton first went live - the game wouldn’t run, likely due to something with Steam DRM but they made it so that it at least would run.

Other than that tho… /shrugs

Yes, that’s why I would like some sort of answer. The Linux community is rather used to this treatment.

As a good boy I would then take the answer to ProtonDB, as to serve as a warning for the rest of the ‘outcast’.

I’m fully aware of the general Linux attitude.

I do appreciate your reply. It’s clear you were only trying to yank me into reality, but I’ve been here all along :slight_smile:

I’ve seen a mention of it on the ProtonDB but I haven’t seen any specific mentions on the Proton Github issues? Perhaps you and some others should try posting one there so that Proton devs could perhaps possibly take a look and see if it isn’t something on their end - which is a firm possibility.

Has anyone tried using a different Proton version?

That was the first thing I did, before starting an account here, to whine about it. 5-0-9 all the way down to 4.11.

I admit I didn’t try after the hotfix, which I just did. Still the same freezes at the exact same spots.

That makes me think it’s not a Proton issue(granted, I know nothing about it, so that’s just conjecture).

I mean…you’re playing with an OS that’s used by roughly 0.9% of our customer base.

We never promised to support Linux and simply cannot justify resources for such a small subset of the playerbase that intentionally uses an OS that’s not supported by a vast majority of developers.

I’m sorry you’re experiencing issues, but that’s the harsh business reality that most developers contend with.

When I was investigating the area in question for the invisible terrain bug, the asserts I was seeing seemed to be DX related, so that may well be why you’re straight up crashing in Linux as opposed to just not seeing terrain.

It’s possible there’s still a level in that area that’s missing terrain but it’s outside of the playable space, so while it doesn’t impact typical users, the issue may be exacerbated on Linux.

3 Likes

Hmm. Now I’m a little curious if non-Proton versions are having issues in that spot. Perhaps I’ll try running my GOG copy up to there on my Manjaro install later and seeing if it behaves the same.

1 Like

Hello Zantai!

Thank you for for taking the time to address my concerns.

First off, I didn’t mean to imply that it was a Crate specific problem, with my outcast remark. That’s just the way of the world atm.(sadly)
And it’s perfectly reasonable that you wouldn’t dedicate vast amounts of resources to a micro subset of users. If the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn’t be happy, if there were unaddressed problems for the “general public”.

My first thought about the issue(after the hotfix) were in relations to z-levels(if you even use that) as I saw noticeably more spawns after the hotfix. It went from …maybe 12 spawns, to 20 groups. But now you mention DX, it does sound far more plausible. DX is not a friend to Linux.

If you ever revisit the area, please keep this one in mind.

Thanks for your time.

Yes, that would be very helpful! If nothing else, it would at least lend a little credence to the DX issue mentioned by Zantai.

Edit: spelling

I have an input. It may tend to improve the situation with probably no downsides other than Developer effort.

Can the engine by migrated from using DirectX to Vulkan? Since it’s an API with native support on Linux and Windows (i.e. wine/proton will be able to make API translations in a more expected manner) a lot of issues unique to either OS would become tied and a fix on either one may probably fix it on both.

I’m not experienced with Vulkan and the issues that may be incurred for using that in place of DirectX, hence just a suggestion. Could probably be overruled in case there’s more problems in that path.

However I’m not in support of demanding Linux fixes. I’d prefer if fixes on windows would solve Linux problems as well. Saves Development effort of maintaining two different code streams rather than one.

In an ideal world, I’d love for this to happen!

But I’d imagine migrating to Vulkan would compare to moving house. It’s not something you look forward to doing, it’s hard work that takes away from day-to-day, and your life is in ruins for the next 6 months.

But if none of the above is true, I’m in favor of migrating to Vulkan :slight_smile:

Thank you for thinking outside of the box. That never hurts

I mean, you are correct in that the “only” obvious downside is developer effort, but what you describe is an immense amount of developer effort for no real “upsides” besides supporting Linux better and thus means we are expanding developer resources on something with minimal gain rather than dedicating it to something that actually would benefit the player base as a whole.

2 Likes

True, I don’t see strong upside other than being able to redo the engine. In my experience, redoing a functioning system often ends up improving and enriching the features in the system. I suppose I’m hoping for that to happen?