Grim Misadventure #114: A New Thing...

Ah well, I thought it would be something more interesting. Possibly the first new thing I haven’t been psyched for since I got the game.

Now thinking about it, Witch Doctor would be a better name for Shaman+Necromancer combo IMO.

Or maybe something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk6wj03BeiA

[EDIT]

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RfdXPYRaKg

Paladin won’t fit to this world, this is not your standard fantasy rpg.

It’s been thought of, and addressed.

do you plan to update the artwork of the other masteries? the necro art looks way much cooler than everyone, and maybe add more loading screen art too…

Most likely not.

Except you got a zealous templar order.

A paladin/priest class with fire & lightning would be neat. Commando, Warder and Elementalist would be what we have now, but all three are not perfect.

Interesting to see if inquisitor-soldier, inquisitor-demo or inquisitor-shaman could live up to what we are looking for.

Better I think would be a priest mastery and have it be a paladin/templar in combination with soldier.

I want a Combat Medic

Appreciated.

I think Crucible is borderline pay-to-win. It’s significantly easier to hit Level 2 in the Campaign, farm devotion points in the Crucible (up to at least 5 or maybe a few more than that), rush Act 1, and then play the campaign out.

It’s not especially glitchy or obscure. It’s just a straightforward consequence of how the current system works. Sure, you can play Ultimate and eventually get all the shrines, but you’re behind by 5+ devotion points for 50+ hours…

I would suggest a rework. Implement some way to earn bonus Devotion points in the main campaign that’s capped at, say, 10, and is shared with the Crucible’s bonus Devotion points. Then make the cost of Devotion Points depend only on how many of those ten bonus points have been earned so far, rather depending on total devotion points. (This way, you aren’t forced to farm your devotion points immediately) Whether it’s a matter of iron bits or completed components or scraps or components or reagents or whatever, the cost for doing it in the campaign should be at least roughly equivalent to the same amount of Crucible grind.

I don’t think the Crucible is zomg pitchforks-worthy, and hardcore fans will probably want the DLC regardless. But if the intent is an alternative that doesn’t grant a special advantage, then it’s currently flawed.

Pay 2 win? In a single player game? Sure it has multi-player capability, but no ladders nor secure servers.

Crucible was created to fulfill a GD Kickstarter stretch goal.

[UNLOCKED] $520k - SURVIVAL MODE! We’ll create a new gameplay mode that will be free for all backers (KS or Website Pre-order). In survival mode players will fight to stay alive against increasingly difficult waves of monsters. It will release sometime after the game so as not to delay development.

As my quote from Zantai indicates, it was not intended that people play that instead of the campaign, but people have chosen to do so.

If (for example, hypothetically) Inquisitor one-shots everything and never dies, then “intent” doesn’t matter, and a rework is warranted. “Choice” isn’t really a thing if some choices are just that much better than others, and they happen to cost money to unlock.

It could be a lot worse, but I think they should consider changes. (And I say this realizing that there can be technical difficulties related to old characters and patch compatibility. Clearly older characters need to be grandfathered into the old system. Ideally, the game would scan your save for how many devotion shrines you unlocked to compute how many came from the Crucible, save the number, and throw away anything over 10 - but I’m not familiar with the save system or whether that kind of search code is easily implementable the way it is now.)

Crate surely has higher priorities at the moment, but I personally believe that I have a sound argument that changes are warranted whenever it is practical to implement them.

What are you winning in a single-player ARPG?

Not sure what you mean by your Inquisitor comments. Crate balances out the classes ever since the inception of the game. The last patch (1.0.0.9) did some balancing. There is no “pay-to-win” which is the feeling I get from your post.

Not sure how grandfathering works here. Grandfathering for what?

If people buy the expansion, then they have access to the new classes and the new content.

Lmfao at these guys complaining about crucibal. Grim dawn is mostly a single player offline game with NO COMPETITIVE LADDERS OF ANY KIND . This isn’t d3 with new leader boards every new season. Who gives a shit if someone sits in crucibal to grind out a few extra devotions…if you think it’s "cheating " simply don’t play it rofl.

I feel like Apostate would be better suited for Inquisitor+Necro and Ritualist would be better suited for Shaman+Necro if that’s the way they’re going.

Apostate in that you were doing a bunch of pure Inquisitor stuff and then decided to turn to the dark side and learn necromancy as well.

e: Just saw Zantai’s last post - must have missed it before. Great minds think alike I guess!

Just so you understand, the game is moddable. There are tools currently available on the Grim Dawn web site (in the Utilities and Resource section) that allow people to edit their characters.

Crate designed Grim Dawn with this in mind.

So your points are really meaningless.

Well… Here we go again with my reply on page 22: "To comment on the Paladin idea, despite the fact that I would LOVE the see GD’s take on my favorite character archetype, I don’t think we would ever see them in GD.

If you ‘dismantle’ a Paladin, they are basically holy-tanky characters. The tanky aspect is already represented by the Soldier and/or Warden. Kymon’s Chosen play the role of holy warriors, and their elements of choice are fire, lightning and physical. This is also supported by the other ‘demon hunter’ class in the game, the Inquisitor, which also seems to heavily support fire and lightning. This means that we already have 4 masteries that support the ‘holy’ gameplay: soldier, shaman, inquisitor and demolitionist. A paladin would hardly add anything. I agree that the Soldier is not reeeeeally centered around shields and or resistances as we imagine a Paladin being, but you can’t make a whole mastery just around being ‘more tanky than the soldier’. It’s not enough. They would be basically adding a commando mastery.

The only way I could see that happening would be by introducing a new damage type, i.e, Light. While this looks cool AF, Crate never mentioned considering this idea and if they did internally, it probably wasn’t/isn’t at the top of their priority list, meaning that we probably wouldn’t even see it in a possible second expansion. Also, adding it would mean that the Paladin would be the ONLY mastery in the game with support to light damage, reducing drastically the build diversity.

(Edit: The Inquisitor is probably the closest we will ever get to a Paladin. That’s why I’m so hyped about it.)"

Following this reply, I asked Zantai if they plan on adding more damage types to which he said ‘hmm no git rekt nob’ (that wasn’t the proper answer but whatever). So, yeah, I don’t think we’ll ever get a paladin. Buuuuuuuuuuut, if we ever get a second expansion, I would imagine some kind of Alchemist that throws potions around, dealing acid/fire damage, maybe healing himself or even having some kind of homunculus that evolves or something like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t suppose we can convince you to reveal the rest of the dyads, can we, now that we have the Shaman/Necromancer name certified? (Okay, so I’m mostly interested in Shaman/Inquisitor, namely whether I’m right in it being the Purifier. But I do believe in thoroughness.)

Still, I can see the original ordering of Apostate and Ritualist. A Shaman delving into death manipulation could be seen as having committed heresy against Mogdrogen’s teachings (putting aside the Wendigo Totem, anyway). Although, now that I think of it, what apostasy would involve a Necromancer going into shamanism? Yes, I know getting masteries and skills is actually you getting your memories back, and there’s no guarantee you get your masteries back in the same order you got them pre-possession, but…A Ritualist, meanwhile, is exactly that–someone skilled with rituals. And rituals are something both Necromancers and Inquisitors are skilled at (how do you think Inquisitors activate their relics?).

It looks amazing!
I can’t wait to see how GD’s version will look when combined with the other masteries like Shaman or Occultist.
Will we finally be able to get ourselves an army!?

Frankly ritualist feels kinda bland

I know they won’t change it so i’d have to get used to it

Kinda like how i got used to that Druid’s don’t shapeshift :cry: