[Resource] GrimFX - Reworked Visual FX

I have decided to share my personal collection of modified particle effects which made the game even more enjoyable for me. Maybe it does the same for you!

Table of content

1. Overview and Content

2. Installation

3. Downloads

Overview and Content

Following effects have been reworked:
Rift Gate

Changed the flashing pulses to a more smooth glowing which is near to the harthbeat and feels more appealing, also changed the initial flickering to a more appealing glow build up

Inactive Rift gates now have smoother animations without disturbing flashes. While you fight to secure them.

Smooth riftgate activation effect

Personal Rift Gate

Changed the flashing pulses to a more smooth glowing which is near to the harthbeat and feels more appealing, also changed the initial flickering to a more appealing glow build up

Callidors Tempest

The air around you now incinerates to dust provoking sprays of aether energies.

More structure and definition added to the outer splash. Smoothened desturbing flashes of lightning animation.

Fire Modified Callidors Tempest

PRM Cast Effect

For the arcane and aether cast effect glowing stars has been added to be consistent with the style of PRM. Additional darker layers also increase the contrast a bit and make not feel washed out so much.

Stun Jacks

Lesser defered lighing glow and less blow out on explode

Fireblast

Impact redefined with less flashing and more defined sparks. Emited sparks now have some afterglow

Entrances

Engulfing darkness threatens the light to vanish forever. Will follow the path?

Player Level Up

Added some swirls to the effect

Loot Orbs

Loor Orbs have now expanded to hold tons of awesome gear.

Chest Open

A mystic glow erupts!

Dynamite Chest Explosion

They are sill hiding…

Lightning Nova

Substitued the harsh flickering with a smooth lightning build up.

Flame Torrent

Exchanged basic flame texture and decreased blowout in combination with additional pfx.

Howling Winds

Decreased brightness to reduce blowout in combination with other pfx.

Ring of Steel

Redefined the flash to not completely blow out everything to white when there is another pfx present

…my HC char died before I made screenshots…

Epic Loot Beam

Legendary Loot Beam

Installation

1. Download the .zip archive from the download section .

2. Extract the .zip archive and place the extracted settings folder into your grim dawn installation directory.

Downloads

GrimFX_0.1.4.zip (109.6 KB)

Old Versions

GrimFX_0.1.3.zip (107.1 KB)
GrimFX_0.1.2.zip (97.3 KB)
GrimFX_0.1.1.zip (60.2 KB)
GrimFX_0.1.zip (51.7 KB)

16 Likes

Awesome job here @kakikakeks! I use your GrimLoot VFX which suits the game perfectly. I’m going to enjoy this as well. :+1:

Hope you have other changes in mind - these are great!

Looks good, now I need to check what the originals look like in comparison :smiley:

I like that new cave entrance…

GrimFX 0.1.1 Changes and Additions

GrimFX_0.1.1.zip (60.2 KB)

Rift Gate

Personal Rift Gate

Callidors Tempest

The air around you now incinerates to dust provoking sprays of aether energies.

Entrances

Engulfing darkness threatens the light to vanish forever. Will follow the path?

Player Level Up

A level up can’t be intense enough… Even to intense for screenshots.

2 Likes

GrimFX 0.1.2 Changes and Additions

GrimFX_0.1.2.zip (97.3 KB)

Loot Orbs

Loor Orbs have now expanded to hold tons of awesome gear.

Fireblast

Impact redefined with less flashing and more defined sparks. Emited sparks now have some afterglow

Rift Gates

Inactive Rift gates now have smoother animations without disturbing flashes. While you fight to secure them.

Smooth riftgate activation effect

Callidors Tempest

More structure and definition added to the outer splash. Smoothened desturbing flashes of lightning animation.

Fire Modified Callidors Tempest

Level Up

Added some swirls to the effect

Chest Open

A mystic glow erupts!

PS: If anybody knows which effect is used for the lightning nova component, I would rework that as well. This harsh flickering deserves to be smoothed out a bit.

2 Likes

effectFile,fx/particlesystems/skillsother/attackradius/pfx_lightningnova_01.pfx,

1 Like

really like what you are doing, great eye on these things.

RLY nice work, thx! This work with and withoud deferred rendering and post processing?

GrimFX 0.1.3 Changes and Additions

GrimFX_0.1.3.zip (107.1 KB)

Lightning Nova

Substitued the harsh flickering with a smooth lightning build up.

Flame Torrent

Exchanged basic flame texture and decreased blowout in combination with additional pfx.

Howling Winds

Decreased brightness to reduce blowout in combination with other pfx.

Ring of Steel

Redefined the flash to not completely blow out everything to white when there is another pfx present

…my HC char died before I made screenshots…

I also made some smaller tweaks to the loot orb pfx to reduce the blow out.

PS: I would love to include full side by side comparison videos showcasing the complete effects. If there is anyone who has time to burn on something like this and enjoys cutting videos, go for it. I can then embedd the video in the posts.

2 Likes

Yes they will work fine like all other particle effects in the game. I have not verified how they will look without post processing and defered rendering but I have quickly checked some and they had even lesser blow out and flashiness. Please feel free to report back on how they look in detail.

1 Like

I will note that ShareX (which is free) can record and create gifs for you easily.
https://getsharex.com/

Which you can then drag and drop directly into the forum editor - as long as each individual file is less than 4mb.

GrimFX 0.1.4 Additions

GrimFX_0.1.4.zip (109.6 KB)

Epic Loot Beam

Legendary Loot Beam

2 Likes

would you consider adding any sound files for epic/legendary drops?

I would definitely spend some hours on sound design to create a variety of dropsounds if crate decides to support wav/ ogg files in the settings folder structure which are recognized on game start and triggered on item drops.

This and the remove of the random particle spawn positions on loot items would make it possible for me to create a really satisfying FX overhaul for the loot drops which anybody could use without installing mods or third party programms.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity: Would you also be able to make “dependent” FX changes?
Like: Make RoS turn yellow if it has no skill conversion and my global conversion of piercing-> physical is >50% ?

Without creating a specific mod its only possible to edit the FX which are already present. Those edited FX will behave the same way like the vanilla FX would. So within those boundaries its not possible to create “responsive” FX changes depending on in game values like global conversion.

The only way I could think of achiving FX changes depending on in game values without creating a mod would be to write a tool which reads specific values of your character save data (like the global conversion) and then decides depending on the value what FX file will be copied into your settings folder. This however will not be full responsive to your game session. When the global conversion value changes this will require a restart of the game in order to register the changed FX files.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you are still looking to work on this or not, I really like what you have done so far and keeping in mind what you said about creating dependent effects, I always look to see where I think there could be some minor changes that might be possible that will help the overall feel.

Playing through with a pistol build and having flame touched/iskandras, or even Aura of Conviction on; make the “shots” from your pistols/guns look far worse with the large trails/bullets. I personally find the much smaller trails of a “normal” ranged weapon that have lightning/chaos dmg etc to be much more crisp and rewarding when shot.

I wonder if you can could lessen the visual change that these auras make to ranged shots trails. If you are interested in looking at that, and I can do anything to help please let me know.

Does the lootbeams conflict with Grim_Internals lootbeams? If so how can I remove the Legendary Lootbeam ? What is the .pfx filename?

Alternatively, you could just edit the GrimInternals.ini and set Lootbeams to False if you are worried about conflict.