Guide - How to transition from POE to GD

True. I wasn’t trying to be too exact, just wanted to bring the message across.

[/QUOTE]

Here i have to disagree though. DoT dmg in PoE isn’t based on the hit dmg anymore. They changed that a while ago, when they removed so-called double-dipping mechanics from the game. Dot’s in PoE are based on the base skilldamage now, wich means that scaling the hit is not simultaneously and automatically scaling the dot (This was essentially the meaning of “double-dipping”).
For damaging ailments (bleed, poison, ignite), you still need a hit with the right damagetype in PoE, in order to inflict the corresponding damaging ailment. It doesn’t matter however, how big that hit is. The ailment will scale seperately. For non-ailment dots (eg. Essence Drain, Scorching Ray asf) you don’t need any hit, just a “debuff application”.

But i really don’t think you need to know all that stuff for playing GD. As long as you understand, that your critchance and critmultiplier will always affect your dots in GD, you are good.

I’ll add this sentence to the guide.

Note:
I have a vivid memory of how bad reflection could be in PoE. In GD, only Elites can have the mod and it’s really not as bad as in PoE. Did reflected damage change in PoE ?

Yes, in PoE normal mobs can’t have reflect anymore. You can still roll it on maps, but mobs can’t have it otherwise. They replaced it with “Physical/Elemental Thorns” nemesis mobs that behave a lot like Diablo 3 reflect mobs - if you hit them with physical/elemental damage they shoot out a projectile at you that you can get out of the way of theoretically. That change was made when they removed instant leech from the game a few leagues back.

Yupp, exactly what FreezardB said. Honestly on the gameplay level PoE has been trivialized a lot since the old days. It’s mechanically even more complicated than two or three years ago, but the gameplay is pretty … uhm - speedoriented. Outside of a fistful of endgame encounters you oneshot even bosses with any half-decent build. Well maybe that’s an exaggeration, but only a slight one. Let’s say you need three or four shots for the bosses and one for everything else, except syndicate members (a new type of randomly spawning endgame opponents since the previous league). I prefer the slower pace in GD these days. It feels more satisfying to me, but of course that is a completely and utterly subjective opinion.

Updated visually.

1 Like

What you are explaining isn’t wrong, but it’s also something I already knew. Base damage and hit damage are essentially the same thing in the end. I was correct and it’s just semantics to go into that level of detail. Anyone who reads this guide likely already knows what PoE is like.

I said hit damage because it’s the first thing that comes to mind since physical hit = bleed, phys/chaos hit = poison, fire hit = ignite/burn.

@confirm-okt

Not gonna lie,now you were really confusing me :D. But i think i’ve figured out, what you mean: you are talking about the damagetype, correct? Because in that sense you are right, the damagetype of an ailment depends on the damagetype of the inflicting hit.

I was talking about the damagevalue though, and in that regard basedamage and hitdamage are definitely not “the same thing” nor is the differentiation “just semantics”. On the contrary the difference has huge practical consequences.

What do the two terms mean?

“basedamage”: the damage of your skill without any scaling (passives, supportgems, auras, heralds, % increased damage taken modifiers etc) applied to it.

“hitdamage”: the damage that you do,when you actually hit a mob with your skill, with all the scaling included.

Let’s look at an example, in order to clarify the practical consequences:

Let’s say we are using a skillgem, let’s say Fireball, wich deals 100 base firedamage. If we ignite a mob with it, that ignite would deal 50% of basedamage as firedamage per second (50).

Now we can choose between various scaling options in our tree. We could pick up 100% increased spelldamage, 100% increased ignite damage or 50% increased firedamage.

The % spelldamge will not apply to the ignitedamage at all. We would deal 200 firedamage on hit, and still do 50 ignite damage per second with an ignite.

Likewise the % ignitedamage will not apply to the hitdamage at all. We would still deal 100 firedamage on hit, but our ignites now would deal 100 ignite damage per second.

Finally the % increased firedamage will work for both hitdamage and ignitedamage. (This is, what confuses many people, but it’s very simple: both the hit and the ignite are fire, hence % increased firedamage works for both.) Result for 50% inc. firedamage: 150 firedamage on hit and 75 ignite dmg per second.

Throughout this example the basedamage was always the same: 100 firedamage, whereas the hitdamage and the ignitedamage were always different, dependant on the scaling.

In fact the dot-scaling in PoE these days is quite similar to GD, where your Vitalitydamage and your Vitalitydecaydamage also are two completely different things.

@Belzzzz

Sry for that lengthy, slightly off-topic essay. I’m a nerd.

If you’re still around, updating the links would be a good idea. Most don’t work since the forum moved platforms.