Hello! Beginner not sure where to start

Hello everyone!

I’m not sure where to post this since there isn’t a designated ‘Help’ section on the forums.

I’m completely new to Grim Dawn and this community and not sure where to start. I’m fairly familiar with games like Diablo 2 & 3 and Path of Exile, but not to the point that I would know what I’m doing right away in a different game like Grim Dawn. I’ve played only a little bit of the game to sort-of get familiar with the UI, but not sure where to start with builds and such. I’ve seen a few ‘beginner’ builds here and on other sites, but still confused and overwhelmed with the explanations of the many different mechanics and such.

Was hoping if someone could steer me in the right direction and advice, if there are more in-depth beginner game guides and good beginner build guides to better learn and experience this game.

I would be very grateful for some help!

Thank you very much in advance!

my compendium Beginner build guides Compendium (for AoM + FG expansions) also have links to general beginner guides on mechanics etc also most guides posted there also explain the mechanics relevant for that perticular build too

1 Like

The Game Guide is a good starting point. If you want to learn the basics of the mechanics go to the Combat section.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll be taking a look at those guide for sure.

Should I be concerned about what GD version these builds were using, and will these builds preform well for end-game content? Maybe this is a bad approach for my first time playing the game, but I wanted to see if I could experience most or all of the game on my first 1 or 2 builds. But that may not be practical.

Also, are any of the Pet/Minion Skeleton builds beginner friendly? I don’t need to start out with that playstyle if it’s not the best for first time players.

Thanks again!

Read some of the FAQ’s sections in the compendium.

But you have to realize builds are very item dependent in this game. The beginner builds shows you want you can do with like almost no farming, using common items and making the best use of those. You can see them as some kind of “at least you should be able to do this without complaining about bad RNG with drops”. Also they are detailed and explain stuff so you learn more about the game and build making in general.

Check out Mayas beginner guide “the carnival” also linked to in the compendium.

1 Like

you can also like follow along someone who does SSF builds on youtube like @RektbyProtoss who also makes very nice video guides for beginners about game mechanics and builds etc

but yeah if you dont have the expansions, hmm try to find build that does not ueses AoM or FG masteries (Necro, Inquisitor, oathkeeper)

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and to the game. :slightly_smiling_face:

Most builds can do the main campaign so choose something you like the look of and get started. Also it depends on what you have of the game - just the base or the expansions as well. Since the expansions add new masteries to play with, devotions, factions, etc, if you only have the base game then you may need to adapt any build that is for the expansions.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your help!

Sorry, forgot to specify that I have the entire game, all DLC expansions, etc. So yeah, it would be nice if I could create a character that could go through the DLC content as well, if possible.

I’ll start reading all those beginner guides first as well before I make a full character and see how it goes. I may start a throw-away character just to get familiar with the games basic mechanics as well.

I’ll check out the YouTube guides too. Thanks!

Don’t get too attached to your first char, see it as a way to learn about the game. Once you get to the point where you can buy experience potions and faction mandates and difficulty unlock merits, your new chars will be way faster to create :slight_smile:

There are like 50 beginner guides in that compendium, I would narrow it down to “what playstyle would I enjoy playing most” or maybe look at endgame builds and see which one looks most fancy and then see if there is a corresponding “budget build guide” for it

2 Likes

Sounds good. I’ll look through all the guides and see what builds look good and experiment with my first few characters.

I was a bit hesitant to post this asking for help and wasn’t sure what response I would get. Some other sites were saying that the GD community is “toxic” and “hostile” to new players. After looking around here on the forums, I really didn’t see much evidence of that, but who knows.

Thank you all again for the great help. Really looking forward to playing Grim Dawn.

1 Like

and feel free to ask about any of those build guide, just pop a message in that thread and someone will respond :slight_smile: Good luck and remember to have fun!

1 Like

Sorry, not trying to start any drama here. Just trying to ask questions and share a concern.

I found this article on another site and was curious if there was an explanation. If there is something I should be careful with in the community or something should be aware of.

https://www.requnix.com/the-hidden-toxicity-of-the-grim-dawn-community-and-crate-entertainment

Yeah, most of us old-timers on the forum recognize his name. I can’t speak for him, but I’ll summarize the “forum toxicity” issues here according to my own observations:

• If you come to the forum and throw punches, expect to be treated accordingly (you haven’t obviously, just an example)

• Some people are pretty enthusiastic about there being a “right” way to do things in the game, which can be interpreted by some as not beginner friendly. You’ll hear a lot of diverse opinions, and that’s okay

• Zantai, the lead dev, is as nice to you as you are to him, and I think some people don’t expect him to “bite back”, so to speak.

Based on my post, you can probably guess that I don’t think the forum is overly toxic. All online communities will have their issues and outliers, but there is no tolerance for stuff like hate speech or abusive communication, so I hope you find it welcoming here

1 Like

That is a very one-sided viewpoint and also incorrect in some of it’s allegations. Suffice to say that he was on the forum here for a while, but decided to leave taking “his” builds with him. He was later banned for interferring with a moderation decision on the one build thread of his left here.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thank you for your kind and honest answers to my concerns. I certainly feel welcome here and will be on my best behavior. By what you all are saying, it seems the issue overall was resolved the best way it could. Probably shouldn’t have brought it up on the first place, but was curious.

This guy is just salty he got banned on the forums after handling critque about his guides/builds in an unprofessional manner tbh.

2 Likes

Well that makes sense, kind of. Seems like a lot of fuss over just a guide critique, making a complete website for himself and then complaining about the incident, but I don’t know much about the incident obviously since I wasn’t there. At this point don’t care too much now anyway. By recent posts on his site he seems to no longer play GD or intend to “update” his guides, now mostly specializing in Path of Exile.

Hey Rekt! I’ve been watching your YouTube guides today, they are awesome and very helpful. These video guides will make my start in GD much smoother. Thank you!

I’m going to try one of your builds soon, just getting a feel for the game right now.

1 Like

Yea I mean there was a little more to that than my little TL;DR makes one assume, but in the end that’s kinda what one could compress it to.

I used to help him a bit with guides when he started out at first, but then it just all went downhill and I distanced myself from him…

1 Like

Yeah, no worries. It’s not a big deal and I shouldn’t have brought it up. I probably opened up some old wounds and I don’t want to get involved.

I just want to have fun with a new game. You all are very kind and helpful.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hold up- what was this guys handle?