Help Me Pick Next Class

You all know more than me. I’m hoping you can help me choose my next class for my 2nd time through. My First play through was with a EoR Oathbreaker. It was a lot of fun. But now I am looking for something…‘more.’ More fun, more abilities, more than spin2win.

Through vids and forum reads, I think I’ve narrowed it down to 3ish Caster Classes, although I’m open to suggestions.

I’d really appreciate if you guys can tell me how the classes play, not skills but style of play.
Or even what kind of alternate ways I can set them up.

-Sorcerer
-Conjurer
-Warlock
(Possibly Witch Hunter)

First question I’m expecting is ‘what do you think is fun?’

Definitely fun
-lot of abilities
-Aoe is Great (aoe or pbaoe)
-A lot of skills (doesn’t have to be piano)

Unsure about Pet Builds
So many people seem to love them
Having GoE’s from Oathkeeper was great for cleaning up
I’ve played many pet classes in numerous mmo’s before.

Not
-pure melee facetanking builds
-spamming any one attack, be it melee or range
-How much aiming do I have to do—Run and Point and Click and run to live constantly?–not sure if Im down with that.

Looking forward to your input
Thanks

-Enderz

3 Likes

Hey man im sorta preoccupied at the moment, on the way to the grocery store so i dont have long to comment on this but I wanted to welcome you to this great community and this awesome game!

I dont have a lot of experience with Warlock but I can tell you from personal experience Sorcerer and Conjurer are awesome, and absolutely check all the boxes you mentioned.

This is probably whats my favorite build leveling guide, and its @Nery’s Vitality Caster Conjurer, which is legit shit man. Great build, great guide, and lots of fun plus it grows to be strong enough to reliably farm SR, which will help you down the road with ALL your other builds!

As for Sorc i dont know of any guide as awesome as the above one, but my experience with it has been this- tons of AoE, tons of debuffing potential, and lots of great skills that can proc devotion abilities reliably. The Sorc I have is level 75 and a meme built around immobilizing and debuffing enemies, for specific use in multiplayer. Surprisingly, it has been known to carry entire parties of other players on a few occasions. But for your second guy, id go with Vitality Conjurer and follow the above guide. Had it existed and had I known about it way back when I was at the beginning of my time in GD, its what I would have done.

3 Likes

I agree, that Conjurer fits the criteria. Lot’s of AoE, piano skills caster, also new player’s friendly.

Sorc is fine option too, with Canister bombs and cocktail, mines. It’s need more piloting skills but if you put some defense it will be very good build.

This is my budget Sorc sketch:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQk6knV

Shieldbreaker will also work fine as fire caster, to some extent Paladin too with Judgement and Rune of Kalastor.

Lightning Storm totems, Devils and Storm Box Vindicator is also one of my favorite builds .

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind welcome. I quit mmo’s a year ago and I had my fill of the Witcher. I had never heard of this game. I was bored and started googling and checking youtube videos to see what the game was about. In a way it looked old school and reminded me of Dungeon Siege which I had a lot of fun very early into my pc gaming days. Funnily enough, I’ve never played Diablo and I didn’t like POE at all. The style? The animations all felt the same?

Back on topic,
Thank you for the good advice.
‘Checks all the boxes’–someone else said that to me recently on another thread on Reddit. Maybe just a coincidence.

So this is an easy Decision, 4 people have replied, they all recommended the vitality conjurer.
Conjurer here I come. Guides are super nice. Having a good place to start from.

In other games, (too many mmo’s to mention, the term ‘New Player’ means nub/unskilled etc.
From my reading, in Grim dawn it means not just unskilled but also not having a reliable and realistic way to acquire gear vital to said build/class. It made it a little tough to decide what people meant when they mentioned New Player Builds.

2 Likes

Sorc and the AOE sounds like fun too. One person mentioned Spellbinder? Thoughts or how that plays?

4 posters all mention Conjurer. That settles it, going to work on Conjurer tonight.
Speaking of which, am I the only one that likes to spend the first 30 levels in Crucible?

2 Likes

I saw that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Grimdawn/comments/hxiktm/3_caster_classeshelp_me_decide/

@Knife and @Armored-Otter are not same person btw.

Binder is also excellent class, either aether Ray or aether Callidor.

New player build means something with ease access of gear and also I would say good enough defensively. Vitality Conjurer have target famed set as best option and few very easy to get green items, that will make you very strong and vitality casters in general are tanky. Ritualist is the small brother of the Conjurer, also viable. Spellbinder can use the other farmable set - Krieg. Fire Sorc/Shieldbreaker are really good end game but most of their BiS gear is mix of random drop purple items, so harder to reach optimal build.

Hope this info very helpful! And feel free to ask any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ha, I thought someone might of seen that. This is my first time posting here on the Crate Forums and I wasn’t sure who would reply and where.

When I say, “How it plays?” – I’m asking How it plays, not what abilities it uses. Does it kite? Does it CC, is it a pet build? A combination of both? Debuff? Aim and Pilot as one of you has said? Does it have to run around like crazy? In WoW or DAOC, GW, GW2, Lineage 2, AION, SWG, Shadowbane, Everquest, (am I dating myself yet?) you could watch a short video and see how the class played and see it visually fairly easy. It’s not easy to tell on video how classes play or what they are doing.

The ways we/GrimDawn Players describe what is fun, would not work for Guildwars2 Classes.
If someone said, “I want a class with Healing, range, movement abilities and Crowd Control”—well, they all do that. I took a long time to explain what I mean…ha, you probably got what I meant, much earlier.

2 Likes

The thing is in GD same classes can have very different approach. Same class combo can excel as spamming caster, range build or melee.

But in general, there are auto attackers, either melee or range, spamming skills casters, like Albrecht aether ray (channeling skill) or Callidor’s Tempest. Also pets, retal and voila piano casters, it’s the play style, you’re looking for. Build that count on rotation of multiple spells, usually without dominating one.

Conjurer is tanky enough to not kite and hold it’s ground. You need to deploy multiple Sigils underneath the enemies, debuff with Pox, Swarm and Curse of Frailty and later deploy your totems as well. Optional thing is to add spam skill as well.

Trozan Druid and burn Sorcs are the prime example of kiting casters. You can’t survive many direct hits, so cast your spells and run away.

About MMORPG, I have played only WoW. I liked there the Mage character, especially going cold.

2 Likes

Spellbinder is my favorite class thematically, because I love the whole concept of being a death mage obsessed with tapping into otherworldly energy. How it plays depends how you build it, it supports a lot of different abilities from popping aether fart clouds to spinning laser beams to sucking out souls by waving your fingers. And it can be leveled as a durable vitality caster too. But the gear at endgame is NOT easy to get!!!

3 Likes

WoW Cold= Frost mage. Lot of fun. I still remember how they play and pretty much all their skills now that I think about it. Kind of funny

Thank you for giving me the Playstyle Details of Grim Dawn.
So much I still don’t know.

@nery
Nice guide :slight_smile:
You ever hear of ‘twinks’ in WoW or other games.
(In case anyone else thinks otherwise, the term twink I am using is purely game related)

Twinking a toon means taking a low level character and making him OP for his level with a combination of the absolute nicest piece of gear they can get.

The gear you have on the Grim Tools 1-10 and 11-20 (and maybe more, I haven’t checked) looks absolute twink :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I remember there were PvP skirmish available even if you’er low level and most players were exactly well geared.

Some players like to focus on farming low levels and have optimal gear for their characters. I honestly don’t do it. Usually gradually improve it, covering my holes. But if you see GT for 60 or 70, it will be pretty great setup.

Since you start leveling in Crucible, you’ll likely get devotions better, so you should have easier times when you can have Wendigo/Bat procs early in campaign.

1 Like

I guess I should of asked a question instead of making a statement

In the Grimtools links for the Vitality conjurer build,
for example. even starting at level 1-10, https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZygKWb2
the Resistant leather coat of prowess–what was the point of putting that piece of gear there?

This isn’t a criticism, I’m just curious. There is no way I’d find something like that. I could probably play to 84 and never find something so ideal, The 10-20 and 20-30 gears are even more out of reach.

Are those pieces there to show the player what type of stats to look for in general–and show what’s the best gears at that level?

ps- Nice guide, thanks again.

All gear you see in GT during leveling in all of my beginners builds is legit. I don’t farm anywhere specifically, just whatever it drops. You’re likely to have worse or better armor pieces than me, depends. You have to pray to RNGesus :smile:

And my chest? At level 10 you use whatever piece you can get. I probably had only one chest piece. But since stats rolls increase if it’s higher level, gear tends to become obsolete relatively fast. Especially true to armor. You can’t wear random level 10 armor if you’re level 70 yourself.

2 Likes

I didn’t say the guide wasn’t legit. I’ve just never seen gear like that. Maybe it’s because I spent so much time in Crucible.