I... don't get it

CORRECT! - But now they have a chance to develop a strategy to survive and build up their character in a mode just UNDER Elite. They would have seen that Elite was destroying them because of lack of resistance, or lack of DPS. Granted, there would be no quests, but hey, the BOSSES will still be there and these are they guys you will be cutting your teeth on in Elite and Ultimate. They can gear up and adapt for the upcoming Elite encounter :hot_face:

1 Like

This guy gets it :slight_smile:

Meanwhile I’ll be skipping straight to ultimate. What a wonderful option.

Question is: is veteran a good option for getting geared better than you’d be after normal?

If not, then I still don’t see why I should pick it over normal, when I can get a normal char up to speed much faster (and with less wasted time on non-rewarding encounters)

I’d argue that’s irrelevant for most people. From my Experience majority of People don’t think in such an “efficiency” way, but rather it’s all about the Gameplay-Experience and that goes also towards majority of Veterans who spent hundrets up to thousands of hours. The only Reasons when Power-Leveling is considered for many People of the Community is either, if Leveling a Character itself is boring, so basically “the way” doesn’t have much offer, like in case of Diablo 3 where i experienced that after the first playthrough of class when you begin to make alts / twinks - like for seasons, that it’s simply boring due each playthrough is like the exact same without any kind of Skilltree(as example)… or in case of MMORPG’s when the Endgame is more important, offer more Content and Variety than “the way” to max-level and basically at the Endgame the “real” Game starts. In that cases people really prefer to be efficient to an extreme point.

In Grim Dawn however i don’t see the case, due while they might have added stuff which also have high emphasis for Endgame… like RL Dungeons, Farming Routes, Nemesis, Crucible, Shattered Realms and such, the Game also focus highly on the way itself. To start over a new character, level him up in an reasonable amount of a time(that’s why stuff like Lokarr / EXP Pots are still attractive, due it speeds up the process a bit, but you don’t actually powerlevel that hard) and such, is simply so much fun due the build variety and such stuff. It’s fun to see your Character grow and get stronger, and see how an build works out and what items drops for it on the way and such, and i’d argue the one Reason why many people skipped on Veteran and rushed through Normal and being “efficient” wasn’t to powerlevel and such stuff, but rather skip one playthrough they find boring. And that 've changed now with the Difficulty Adjustment.

This is correct. The vast majority of consumers never consider this. Never look a guides. Never go to the forum.

Veteran is a good way of preparing the average player for elite by punishing them for not making better choices for their builds. It’s a very healthy mode currently for the game and I will defend it tooth and nail. We must not only think of ourselves when it comes to the game’s design, ESPECIALLY the lower difficulties.

3 Likes

I wish we had this when I started. This is my 1st ARPG and I started with Normal but immediately switched to Veteran. Sure I died but I had a) a real bad build and b) no clue about any mechanic. But after a while it was even too forgiving.

1 Like

I love the new Veteran, just back from a hiatus since 1.1.2 and fact that I needed to farm some potions to complete Kyzogg fight makes me smile.

This is the answer I was looking for! Thank you for taking time to post this. It’s very helpful and informative. I have come to witness this exact trend in other good old games.

Last night I downloaded PoE but didn’t like. I do want to try Grim Dawn, but there’s just too much engagement from the designers for my liking. If the game is at the end of its life / support cycle, why do they change it so much. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it we say.

I may end up just doing what that other fella suggested in the closed thread and play it statically by disabling updates, or getting an older version from someone? Which version was the best from your point of view?

And this is why Sears is going to die to Amazon.

While I want to argue that the opposite can also be true since change for the sake of change is not healthy, I like that the devs are still working on the game and striving to make it better while also being open to feedback and change stuff when needed.

3 Likes

This wasn’t the case though. Veteran has been criticized for a long while for being too easy and just Normal with some extra spawns. Now it feels like actual Veteran.

There is still Normal if people just want a fast way to level character that doesn’t require much from the player for progression, but it seems some people are just ashamed to play in this difficulty for some reason.

I am aware. Personally, I have no complaints on the topic of Veteran.

Very funny. You are a credit to your race which is destroying the very environment it needs to survive thanks to all the great drivers among which Amazon isn’t the smallest.

Why responding at all if you have nothing constructive to suggest? Am I barging into your posts trying to tell you how to play the game?

I was in this thread first, sir! I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but this is an open forum/topic, of which there’s already been 155 responses. Welcome to the thread!

I contributed something constructive, albeit I didn’t spell it out (because I didn’t think I had to). “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” is a great mentality to fail to improve a product beyond its original quality, even if that starting quality is already good.

And that’s ignoring the fact that there is still a good chunk of stuff that is “broke” in Grim Dawn, hence the “designer engagement.”

1 Like

Ok, Let me know when it’s finally fixed. For now I’m just asking for the last known good version, which most players find stable, so I can lock myself onto it and finally start exploring the game without being bothered by more updates, some of which players find unnecessary. I don’t want a rolling release. For that there is Linux and it’s free if you know what I mean.

Because: Welcome to a little place I like to call The Internet! OooOOoo!

Also, Ceno’s response to you…

…is a form of “constructive” I like to file under: Food For Thought. Designed to make ya think of something perhaps in a fashion you are unaccustomed to.

1 Like

I’d rather argue, many of us, including Zantai and praetorians like Ceno or adoomgod have brought up good “responses” already. The thing is people like you and tontonUB tend to ignore everything we say, stubbornly claim stuff or entirely make it up, and than expect from us to point our arguments out over and over again? This entirely topic is like running in circles, and that’s only because one side(and i’m so cheeky and claim its your side) plays the ignorant part.

And that’s already best example if i see your argument “if it isn’t broken than don’t fix it”… because that shows how ignorat your whole viewpoint about this topic is, due it was broken pre-1.1.4.0. We had a challenging mode which wasn’t challenging, and an difficulty curve which is blown away due the expansions and updates which made overall the players stronger, but didn’t balance out / adjust the enemy part.

You read such utterly bs-nonsense like “remember the old crate / grim dawn days” i’d say majority of People who sticked to this Game since early access and release remember the days were Veteran was more as it was supposed to be and not the mid-era of GD were slowly veteran died for what is was meant to be and you folks joined.

1 Like

The difficulty was tuned further in v1.1.4.1.

There is nothing more to say in this thread.