I think i need a break

after doing a completionist playthrough on my ritualist (reading all the available lore notes, quest texts and NPC dialogs), playing through the campaign on another character and completing act 4 on a third, i looked at my steam profile to see that i had played the game for 78h on the past 9 days… and that number would be much higher if it weren’t for my bad shoulders :slight_smile:

this all started when i decided to hop into the game for a quick play session while i waited for the upcoming patch. the one thing that kept me from calling this game perfect in the past was not having autoloot for crafting materials, and now that it was added i just can’t keep myself from playing… there’s nothing negative i can say about the story, the world, the visuals and the soundtrack; but most of all, the aspect of Grim Dawn that makes it so compelling to me is the character progression.

the reliance on specific items/affixes for builds to function is what mostly kept me out of Diablo 2 and 3, but in GD the builds simply work. there’s no need to “reach the endgame”; just slapping on the best random items you find is more than enough to keep your character going, and i can say without a doubt that the devotion system is the best example of game design i’ve ever seen. every shrine feels so good to find, and slotting that new devotion point, with the sound and visual effects that come with it, always feels satisfying. even if the bonus i’m getting is 15 OA

i could gush about this game all day and it still wouldn’t feel enough… this is by far my favorite ARPG, and the only one i’ve played that does justice to the “RP” part. i honestly believe Grim Dawn is on part with the witcher 3 and dark souls in regards to its quality, only a lot more fun to play (as great as they are, those two have some very annoying elements which wear down my enjoyment in the long run)

anyway, i ended up deleting my characters to force myself into taking a break, (gotta take care of those bad shoulders i previously mentioned) but i’ll be coming back with the next update for the leveling items revamp and i’ll play as much as i can for the rest of my summer vacations - hopefully without any negative impacts to my health
medschool already killed my social life so that’s one less thing to worry about :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey dude, sorry to hear about your health problem, I hope you’ll be better soon
I felt the exact same when I started playing grim dawn, I couldn’t stay focused on what I was doing anywhere else in the world because all I was thinking about was how I would improve my gunslinger sorcerer further (thankfully this was before I knew what grimtools was) ; finding the next lore note, talking to the npcs, exploring every tidbit of the map and trying out new skills are what kept me going in my first playthroughs, and even now after 1k hours of in game playtime I’ve yet to try out every skill and devotion the game has to offer (and I’m not referring to supporting said skills with items in an Endgame build, but rather to put 1 point in it just to see what it looks like), there’s just too many things to try out, yet it doesn’t feel overwhelming, and it never did even when I first started playing, although my past experiences with TQ might justify that

Shoulders? Did you try Dawnshards?