[Idea] Devouring Swarm needs rework

It just needs better visibility imo (at least the debuff icon).

2 Likes

Devouring Swarm as a pseudo-pet - not a good idea. Better to take RR from from it and add it to the Wendigo Totem, leave the Devouring Swarm as a spam skill to start the game.

Can’t have that type of RR. It’s also 60%+ vitality resistance reduction and i doubt Wendigo Totem would have it even if it was allowed to have it.

So with this thread in mind I had a bit on an inspiration to play with modding tools. I’d like to take back a few things - fragmentation is impossible for this template. Multiprojectile like Phantasmal Blades is also impossible. It’s a very rigid template with little to no custiomization.

But after toying around with projectile itself I found a setting that makes projectile scale in size as it travels, and it seems to be increasing it’s hitbox too, effectively making it a cone-shaped wave like you guys want it.

Also, default range turned out to be okay, but the travel speed of the projectile is rather slow, so if you’re throwing it at enemies ahead and then charging at them with mobility rune you’d arrive faster. I increased the speed a bit, but then the range just didn’t feel right, so I ended up increasing range too.

For the rest check out the video.

5 Likes

Awesome :+1::+1:

1 Like

The main problem of Devouring Swarm is the inability to spread after it gets the pass-through. So if that’s change and Swarm behave like Bloody Pox even if RR is reduced, will be welcomed sight.

Spreading is just not how it works. You throw a projectile, any target hit by it gets a CoF cast on it, with 2.5m radius. It does properly affect targets after pass through. The reason it feels bad to use is because collision hitbox of the projectile itself is smaller than that, so it misses often.

1 Like

Also, Curse of Frailty doesn’t spread.

1 Like

Oops, I meant Bloody Pox.

1 Like

The main issue would be that the RR would have to see some significant decrease with such improvements.

It’s already 2x most any other RR skill at soft cap. So you might expect this to be cut in half with significant QoL.

However, at hard cap you only see another 10 RR iirc (for 10 skill overcap), which is consistent with any other skill.

So, the thread probably needs to discuss how much RR one is willing to give up for suggested improvements to distance and duration, and possibly spread.

Vitality - yes, unusually high. E.g. thermites are -40% softcapped with same 16 points needed.
Bleeding - no, CoF actually gives more on softcap with less points.

1 Like

It is worth taking into account that enemies in general are more resistant to Vitality damage than any other damage type and Shaman compared to other popular masteries for Vitality damage in Occultist and Necromancer doesn’t have as much readily available flat damage to convert on weapon-based skills like Bone Harvest.

If Swarm got it’s Vitality resistance reduction lowered to account for QoL, I wouldn’t expect it to be too high; 10% less RR at 16/16 and 26/16 (with the scaling adjusted to work) seems fine. Really though, I just think the 3-6s duration scaling with rank needs bumping up to around 5-10s just like CoF and the 2.5m radius needs an increase as well (2.5m is smaller than Grenado for Dreeg’s sake :eyes:)

My thought on the matter is, the skill itself is not the greatest, the debuff is ok and the damage is … ok. When combined with set, it is awesome! Not to great against anything the has a time limit but otherwise I enjoy my little shaman! Great for clearing numbers! I can see why it’s not a fan favorite, 16 points into a skill that has little damage, good debuff and mass consumption of mana! It’s not a quick kill weapon and in end game it is just a debuff with no damage unless you use any item that increases it’s damage…
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gj55WN
Not sure what to do to improve it, maybe make it a 12 point skill instead? I don’t know.

I have no idea what RR stands for but my biggest beef with swarm is it doesn’t break objects!!! If I can use it on left mouse button but it won’t break a door/barrel/skull pile etc then it becomes such a nuisance that I’ve left that skill alone because of that.

resistance reduction :slight_smile:

Not happening sadly.

Agreed here also, the skill gives amazing RR but it has a narrow aoe when it moves and needs to be spammed making it incredibly annoying to use. Maybe change it into an invincible pet which is like a cloud of insects which floats around and instead reduce the -RR on it to compensate.

1 Like

Make it spread like Aether Corruption, Ill Omen and Bloody Pox. RR can be lowered. That skill has just awful QoL as it is now.

2 Likes

On one hand I agree. On the other, Pet builds focusing on Bleed/Vitality need as much of both RR as they can get, especially Vitality. So toning that down for more QoL could weaken such builds, depending on how much gets removed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.