In this episode of WPS saga: "fixing" stuff takes a very weird turn

Yes /10char

1 Like

I really would like to see the tested Feral Hunger builds that you tested.Like SR clear speed and bosses kills.Especially SnB ones…

I can at least vouch for feral s&b, cause I saw banana make 2 buulds out of it and nothing from the others :rofl:

Avalanche for gun+shield is interesting I don’t think I’ve seen it and I certainly haven’t tried it yet.

Here’s one from banana. I don’t think there’s a SR vid. It’s already slow-ish for his standards but I also haven’t seen another pure aa s&b aside from the physical version of this.

what modifiers is bosting FH wd so much it’s more than 2x smash on MT :thinking: - i’m only seeing 320% wd Feral but getting 223wd(446mt) smash Archon, Level 100 (GD 1.3.0.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator without smash shield mod/while still having the feral mods :sweat_smile:

SnB Archon - Full Altar roguelike dungeon
GT link
The shield can support many different Feral Hunger builds. Several of them are very competitive among all AA builds. With some modifiers, Feral Hunger can have higher % WD and more targets than Smite. In other words, Feral Hunger is the upgrade version of Smite that solves the problem of too small attack arc.

9 Likes

not disputing combined build is better/total higher aoe dmg, but does look like it’s less ST dmg than smash still
Or did feral hunger actually hit with shield too when using bulwark and not just main hand(i actually forgot :sweat_smile:), meaning double dmg also? - because then it would be 5-600wd indeed :thinking:

yes, shield and main hand, just like what Smite does.

1 Like

I think a basic spell should be evaluated based on its core concept, including physical damage and RR.
What physical devotion do you bypass with SS? Scales? I thought that devo was kinda less relevant nowadays.

It was never considered busted because a) proc percentage diluted most of the damage afterwards and b) shields have their own issues and limited options for AA builds (and on top of that actual tankiness impact vs a DW with insane leach etc., but this is another discussion).

The above doesn’t mean that we should keep the bugged version because it was “okish” then.

i’ve no idea what conclusions you’re trying to draw there?
We take RR always right? - so if you’re not having a DAR enabled skill to use smash RR, we take it somewhere else, if we don’t have a modifier(spellscourge)/proc/skill like War Cry; we then take scale/always took scales because getting flat RR was vital for phys. - i’ve no idea when this supposed meta change happened that we ignored scales if we had no decent option for flat RR?

“it was never considered busted even with 100% wps post foa”…
Because the dmg simply wasn’t that high, let alone compared to regular wps/“because dw wps already double hit”… - you’re just effectively having a dual hit wps as shield, same as smite…
Likewise what does perceived tankiness have to do with it when the skills use is dmg and compensation for that is now? - nevermind that shields doesn’t actually necessarily give you more tankiness than dw or even 2h builds “unless your specific shield comes with a crap load of def stats/phys res”, similar like a 2h set can come with…

So in what world, does that magically change anything of the previous?
It’s a dmg comparisons because all skills/attack are about such comparisons, the “defences” have not changed in the last 7 years, the “utility” have not changed then or now; what has changed is its dmg, out of the blue; for what reason/necessity? - and that’s the part that has an impact, and why it matters :neutral_face:

genuinely confounded by that response Neph :sweat_smile:

No one thinks we should keep the bug. People are arguing that the unbugged skills need more of a compensating buff, because they have been balanced around their bugged damage and are now too weak.

3 Likes

actually the argument is kinda similar, it’s just simpler to maintain the “bug” to maintain the old dmg, than it is to attempt to buff every individual item/modifier up to the same level because of combination variance i think :thinking: - likewise easier to then deal with unique outliers like Branded smash, when all others aren’t even that.
“if it aint broke don’t fix it” kinda deal
*for Smash specifically(and perhaps upheaval), Avalanche fix probably necessary because dw 4hit existing.

Doesn’t matter the interaction, we just want the skills to stay good. I agree with gnomish that it’s easier to maintain the “bug” and nerf avalanche, but it’s also just for the short term. “Fixing the bug” I think is better long term because there will be less unforeseen math errors due to overdone weapon damage mods.

But at least before this gets into the live patch buff both smash and upheaval into acceptable states, and maaaybe avalanche. I haven’t done my own testing yet so I’ll hold off on the avalance part

5 Likes

I’m assuming that it’s actually one bug in the code that has caused the unintended behaviour in all three skills, and so fixing it for one fixes it for all. Then the question of compensation arises.

It seems to me this is all quite simple. Restoring the exact status quo ante would be “nuts”, as Z says, but the compensation provided so far is not enough. There is a mid point.

1 Like

Yes, exactly.

It’s just good practice to fix the bug. SS and Upheaval didn’t need the accompanying nerf-hammer. Maybe Avalanche did or maybe it is now overnerfed.

I agree with this, but I’m not so sure about “no one” wanting the bug.

Gnomish i have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say :rofl:

I can share briefly until Z wakes up.

Chaos, SR 36-37 3:54
Vit, SR 36-37 4:06
Phys, SR 50 7:50

I have no idea where the damage and survivability are coming from, assuming GT links are ok. Is there something I am missing or is it feral hunger? The SR50 build has 8% lifesteal, 400 hp regen and runs x2 TDM potions. Is obelisk and perma ascension able to sustain SR50?

Dude feral has like a billion percent lifesteal

btw, i’m getting some weird “random” upheaval interactions, wonder if anyone can check edit nvm, reversed crit dmg :sweat_smile:

you’re saying we don’t take scales; i’m asking when did we ever not take scales on Phys if didn’t have a modifier like Spellscourge or other flat RR skill like War cry? “we always take flat RR on phys so Scales was always what we took on non Shield DAR Oppressors/Archons/Templars etc”
Likewise you’re trying to argue? that “defences” somehow has any remote factor in Smash, when not only would that be unchanged; but also never did before. - shield is not a default and inherent tankiness builder. Meanwhile as Lee/Banana points out leech always was a key part, and with drastic reduced dmg comes drastic reduced leech thus reduced survival - your imaginary defence statement does not compensate here, because it’s not a factor/remains unchanged on all smash builds. (and was not tied in the last 7 years either)
So there is no yuge “utility” impact there just from having Smash, just a regular one

He never use TDM potion except 1v1 some weak bosses. Feral Hunger has 67% life leech. Expulsimum, and 37k health.

Thnx for the response. Feral was 70%, but I guess this was sufficient.

What about damage in all 3 builds? Do you reckon there is a weird interaction with Feral and Fleshwark bulwark, or just maths (and possibly added high shield damage?)