Increase the duration of WOR, BOD and PB

One thing i disliked in most games of the genre were the temporary buffs that had to be refreshed every now and then, especially when the buff bar is tiny and filled with many other buffs during combat - making it difficult to keep track of them.

The toggled skills in grim dawn (and titan quest, if i’m not mistaken) were an excellent way to fix this issue since it serves the same purpose of giving you a permanent buff without the hassle of having to refresh them. Then i made a nightbalde and… suffice to say i’m not a fan of pneumatic burst, blood of dreeg and word of renewal. Those buffs are too powerful to be ignored, (especially when it comes to OA and resistances) and the hassle of refreshing the buffs every ~25 seconds while playing through the campaign makes me avoid playing characters with their respective masteries.

If the intent is for those buffs to be active 100% of the time while the skill also has an on-use healing effect, the buff’s duration could simply be increased to make them more comfortable to use. 90 or 120 seconds would go a long way, but i wouldn’t mind it if they were increased by something silly like 5 or 10 minutes…

Edit: to explain my point more thoroughly: there are plenty of times throughout the game when you don’t need to heal as often as the buffs run off (30 seconds) and losing resistances, OA, DA and movespeed is rather annoying while leveling, for instance. The problem with those buffs is NOT that i have to press 1 extra button every 30 seconds, otherwise i wouldn’t be playing an action game to begin with it; the problem is that the buff bar is so small and cluttered with other buffs that it makes it a hassle to keep track of the timing when i should refresh my movespeed/resitance/OA buffs.

this could be addressed by either redesigning the buff bar or increasing the buff durations so the people wouldn’t have to watch them as constantly while not doing difficult content, thus improving the QOL for builds that use those skills. (the latter is a much easier solution and pointing out that the former can be done with mods does not make the original suggestion any less relevant since there were many other features from mods incorporated into the game)

the obvious reason why the longer duration of the buffs wouldn’t “simplify” the challenging content or “remove variety from build diversity” is the fact that in that difficult content you’ll be using the skills for healing more often than every 30 seconds, meaning the buff will never fall off outside of short intermissions.

I’ve watched plenty of build showcase videos of people doing SR and crucible and their buffs from PB WOR and BOD didn’t fall off a single time during combat (the only times when i saw them disappear were due to enemies dispelling them)

if anyone’s willing to link me similar videos where the buffs DO fall off for significant periods of time (20% or more) and the players intentionally decide not to refresh them in order to preserve the healing, i’ll gladly recognize my error of judgement. but if the overwhelming majority of times the buffs end up having permanent uptime during combat due to players using the heal more often than the 30s duration, i fail to see how extending the baseline duration of the buffs would be anything less than a QOL change to make up for the unreadable buff bar while doing content that doesn’t require constant healing (such as playing through the campaign)

4 Likes

It’s been brought up before here and there over the years and while I can’t recall any direct dev comments on the topic I’m going to say that any drastic changes to how the skills function as-is now are unlikely. They have a purpose and they consider it “working-as-intended” for better or for worse. Your best bet is to either mod longer duration in or to use tqFan’s Autocaster.

It should be noted that any duration increase, should they consider it, would most likely result in a nerf to the healing effects - and when you get down to the nitty gritty the healing “burst” is what these skills are really all about.

4 Likes

I agree heavily and it really discourages me from playing nightblade, occultist and inquis. All they need to do is make the buffs permanent while giving you the ability to spam every 30 seconds or so for the heal.

I’ve havent signed into this forum for a year or 2, and i literally had to go out of my way to find my acct just for this.

Unfortunately that’s not how skills in GD work. They can only be passive, or not passive.

1 Like

So you’re saying it’s an engine limitation?

As far as doing what you just proposed - yes. Active skills are active. The only way to make them not active is to give them a cooldown period - and as I noted above, any increase in duration the devs are inevitably going to nerf the burst healing - which goes completely against what the skill is about.

1 Like

And that would cause those buffs to get nerfed because the entire point of those skills is management. Remove that and suddenly those buffs are way too good.

1 Like

Ahh, that’s a shame. I agree with your statement about nerfing the heal if the duration gets increased. But that’s not really fixing the problem, as such… I have other ways it could be fixed but If this has been discussed tirelessly over the years then lets just hope crate has a solution. Ill just stand by my current dislike to how the skills currently operate.

I dont really see how it takes skill to manage a buff, it’s more of an annoyance. I agree with the heal however, sorry i don’t know how to quote yet.

1 Like

He didn’t really say it took skill :wink: Some people, however, do enjoy managing skills such as this and playing “piano” builds (I do for example). It’s more a different-strokes-for-different-folks kinda thing.

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, you can only ever please some of the people some of the time.

In combat it does since at a moment’s notice you may need a burst heal. Meaning you can purposely not instantly recast the buff and wait for the possible opportunity of using its heal.

I agree with the heal ^^. But the buff itself shouldn’t need constant recasting imo.

You can either select a persons text like this…

…which pops up a quote box, or…

…you can select the reply button next to the reply you want to quote and then…

…once in the editor select the quote button to quote their whole post - from which you can edit pieces out if you desire.

Thanks powbam! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is worth considering that the skill without some nice bonuses, such as the buffs, would be a pretty bland skill without them. Sure the healing is nice but extra buffs to go along with it make it sweeter.

Click me if you'd like to try the aforementioned program.

It’s easy to run & configure. Just need to download it and run with a text config (.ini extension instead of .txt needed) similar to this:

[autocast by toggle]
cast1=Tab:5
delay1=1000

which would make 5 be pressed every second after you pressed Tab (this toggles the autocasting on/off).
You can have more skills:

[autocast by toggle]
cast1=Tab:5,6
delay1=1000

with different frequencies:

[autocast by toggle]
delay1=1000

cast2=Tab:6
delay2=5000

different activation buttons:

[autocast by toggle]
delay1=1000

cast2=Q:6
delay2=5000

You can force autocasting right away when you start the game:
(so that you never forget about it)

[autocast by toggle]
autocast_right_away=true
delay1=1000

The most advanced usage for Heal if needed is to cast it as rarely as possible
and use the reset option that resets the timer when you Heal manually:

(the reset_key should be the button that you use for the manual cast)

[autocast by toggle]
delay1=18000
reset_key1=5

(without it the next autocast after manual cast could fire when the skill is still on cooldown
which could create a fatal gap when you don’t have your Blood of Dreeg on)

i fail to see the logic of that… you already get a permanent buff with the healing as is, why would the healing be nerfed in order to give a permanent buff?

how often do you find yourself going 30 seconds without needing to heal but then have such a drastic need to heal at random intervals of less than 10 seconds that you would forsake a powerful defensive buff in order to make use of said heal on top of your health potion?

I just realised with blood of dreg for example,

15 Second Skill Recharge
30 Second Duration <====== Just make that 10 minutes?
20 Meter Radius
10% Health Restored
5 Acid Damage
+10 Offensive Ability
+8 Health Regenerated per Second
19 Acid Retaliation

Shouldn’t be any reason that isnt possible

Oh btw, thanks for the heads up on the autocaster tqfan. Am already using it, its great!

1 Like

10 minutes was the “silly” example i used, but as i mentioned even an increase to 90 or 120 seconds would makes those skills much less of a pain (i’d be happy with 60 seconds if that were as far as the devs were willing to go)