Internet Multiplayer non-functional through Linux+Proton

Hi. I’m aware that Grim Dawn’s Linux support is tangential at best, but I figure better to ask than not.
I just got the game in order to play with some friends, and while the game itself boots up and works perfectly well, when attempting to host or join a multiplayer game, the Internet option is greyed out, with a lock icon where the radio button would be.
Going to Options > Network > Test shows no issues; the test passes perfectly fine. UPnP is enabled and seems to be working fine.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?
System specs, in case those are helpful:

• OS: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 5.2.7 (Kernel: 5.4.0-169.generic)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (Driver: 470.223.02-0ubuntu0.20.04.1)

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

See if anything here helps.

I have the exact same problem. A few years ago Internet multiplayer worked for me. My computer hardware is exactly the same. The only things that have changed are the game version, my OS version and my ISP. I suppose Steam Proton has changed a bit since then.

Kernel: 6.5.0-14-generic
Steam Proton: 7.0-6

An update:

• I tried the .deb, Flatpak and Snap version of Steam - the game didn’t even run in the Snap lol. But in both the .deb and Flatpak I had the same problem.

• My brother came over with his laptop running Debian and he was able to host and join multiplayer games using my Wi-Fi - so there’s definitely no need to change anything on my router.

My conclusion - Ubuntu and Mint (Mint being Ubuntu-based) are both doing something that’s messing up the multiplayer. My suspicion is that I need to change something in iptables. I had a poke around with ufw this morning, but to no avail. Perhaps the Grim Dawn devs would be able to sort it out in 2 minutes, but I guess that’s not their responsibility :s
If iptables isn’t the solution, then I’ll resort to installing Debian and hoping it works - which it should based on my brother’s laptop working just fine.

I would also contact Valve’s Proton team and see what they have to say. Since the game isn’t officially supporting Linux it’s more likely they need to do something at their end if just switching Linux versions doesn’t work for you.

1 Like

See if LAN works. If so then just use something like ZeroTier to hookup with your friends and do LAN over the internet. I am on ubuntu and LAN works perfectly for me. Never tried internet multiplayer.

I’ve tried ZeroTier as suggested by @natiels . No luck :frowning:
I also installed Debian and that didn’t work either. Clearly the problem is neither my software nor my hardware, which leads me to believe it could be something with my Steam account - perhaps a setting somewhere. I’ve no idea at this point - other games work just fine in online multiplayer.

as mentioned by @medea_fleecestealer it could be because of Proton, although I have no way of trying newer Proton versions until I get a new gfx card unfortunately. :frowning:

Just to add to the sample pile: I’m under latest NixOS unstable and multiplayer works just fine, vanilla kernel version 6.6.28.