Issues Duplicating Character

Hey guys, first post, sorry if this isn’t the right place. I have a history of using tools like GDStash and the terminal program (years ago) to duplicate characters at various points in the game in order to reset their classes and try something different. Lately I have been unable to do it correctly, and was hoping for some insight.

Copying a save and renaming the character via one of the tools and then the folder as well (GDStash renames the folder as part of the change) seems to result in the character disappearing from the main menu. This happens regardless of whether it is a copied save with the original still present or the file I intended to copy, it simply doesn’t show up. I realized the intent of the tools is to be used on local saves, as these are the ones located in the 21990 folder, but it has always worked in the past. I attempted to use this method on local saves to then transfer over to the cloud save section, but the exact same issue prevails. I do this because I use multiple systems and it wouldn’t make sense to keep the files local.

I have backups of everything, and so far copying the old save back into place makes everything go back to normal. But I wondered if anyone has found a proper method to make this work, or anything similar.

FAQ:
Local editing works because it isn’t a duplicate file, in a sense. but local saves will not work for my purposes
Steam cloud saving is off for GD
Edits were done with the game off, no such activity in steam during before or after
Folders are double checked, the correct files are being edited and placed in the proper locations

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Tool] GD Stash