Journey Log #01 - Nature's Bounty

With early access release approaching, players will finally get to experience Crate Entertainment’s first foray into the town-builder genre for themselves. To prepare you for what lies ahead, we are creating a series of dev updates to familiarize you with the rich depth that Farthest Frontier has to offer.

Welcome, eager pioneers, to the Farthest Frontier Journey Log!

Your people have packed up their belongings into wagons and set out into the unknown. Many dangers await, both seen and unseen, but there are also the endless bounties of nature. These gifts of the land are what will allow your people to start anew in the farthest reaches of the known world.

Depending on where you choose to settle, not all resources will be immediately available to your people. Others still may be entirely absent in your region. How you capitalize on what’s at your disposal will ultimately be up to you.

World Resources

ICN_Resource_Logs01_96 Wood and stone are the foundations upon which your town will grow. Many buildings require one or both of these resources for construction and your people will need logs to chop into firewood to endure the harsh winter cold.

ICN_Resource_Stone01_96 While trees naturally regrow from surrounding forests, stone is a more finite resource that will require venturing deeper into the wilderness to gather it. Work Camps combined with Wagons will be an excellent solution to this.

ICN_Resource_Berries01_96 Your people cannot sustain on wood and rocks though. Foraging for wild greens, mushrooms, nuts, and berries will likely be your town’s first source of food. Foraging is also the only source of herbs, medicinal roots, and willow, which help stave off disease and are used in the production of medicines, soap, and baskets.

ICN_Resource_Hides01_96 Hunting and fishing will provide protein for your villagers’ diets. Hunters armed with bows and arrows will seek out herds of roaming deer to process for meat, hides, and tallow. While deer can be found throughout the world of Farthest Frontier, a herd can only support so many hunters. Hunting too heavily can wipe out a herd entirely or cause it to migrate further away from the town.

Some prey may even prove too dangerous for a single hunter to handle. Selecting multiple hunters and ordering them to attack a boar is a safer strategy. Likewise, clearing out predators such as wolves and bears is best handled by multiple hunters, or even soldiers.

ICN_Resource_Fish01_96 Fishing can only be done on larger bodies of water, a luxury if your settlement is founded in an arid area. Likewise, overfishing can deplete the supply, so careful planning is important lest your town finds itself starving when a once reliable source of food is suddenly gone at a critical time.

ICN_Resource_Coal01_96 A prosperous town will eventually wish to harness the raw materials of the earth. Precious iron, gold, and coal can be mined out while clay and sand can be gathered in pits. These valuable resources will help advance your town beyond a fledgling settlement of survivors to become a vast city.

Note, however, that mining is dangerous work and villagers working in mines and pits are more susceptible to injuries.

Nature’s Bounty

The boons of nature are what drew your people to settle out in the wilderness, but what resources are available is tied closely to the surrounding biomes. Dry areas have more sparse tree coverage, but are plentiful in stone. Likewise, clay deposits are more frequently found in lower elevations, near water, while sand is plentiful in arid zones. Iron deposits are found almost exclusively near the mountains.

ICN_Resource_Clay01_96ICN_Resource_Sand01_96ICN_Resource_IronOre01_96

Willow is found along shorelines or in the swamps. You will not find any nuts to forage out in the open plains, so seek dense forests.

ICN_Resource_Nuts01_96ICN_Resource_Greens01_96ICN_Resource_Willow01_96

Even the presence and density of the deer population will depend on the availability of tree cover and proximity to water.

In this way, where you choose to settle will guide how your town develops, what resources are readily available and what will be a source of struggle. You may find that you need to trade for certain goods, using what your town produces as leverage in exchange.

The above are just a sampling of what awaits you. Farthest Frontier features over 60 distinct resources and goods for your town to gather, manufacture, and trade. Your town’s economy and prosperity will be in your hands later this year.

Over 60 Resources and Goods await in Farthest Frontier

Eager to learn more about Farthest Frontier? Check back on 04/25/2022 for the next Journey Log!

36 Likes

Looks like a nice Age of Empires 2 mod :wink:

But honestly I’ll definitely give it a try. Seems pretty cool!

1 Like

Finally some more info <3 Im not very suprised you took the absolute best things from Banished and polished them with Crate’s own sandpaper! Im very eager to try it out!

Looking forward to the next 175 of these. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah…I think it will be a few less of these than that.

Maybe famous last words though :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Finally, a new Grim Misadv… Journey! Thanks for this first look at what we’ll encounter.

What about bog iron!!! I want iron in my swamps.

Love this survival/builder games. Banished, Endzone… If you release a demo I want to try it!

Looks amazing, as always! Can we have FF wallpapers?

1 Like

Good job on the UI, it’s super clean.

1 Like

Looks good. Not my type of game, but I may eventually give it a try.

Really looking forward to playing this, sounds like it’s got a load of depth.

i wonder if in the future, the colonists’ production efficiency can be affected by events like bountiful harvests, disease outbreak, mass deaths, etc.

its like in stronghold crusader where fear factor either plus or minus 0 can make citizens produce more goods faster but lower the soldiers’ combat stats or make citizens slacking in recreational areas from time to time but raise the soldiers’ combat stats.

So, do you play missions with objectives (e.g. build 3 windmills and 6 farms)? Or is it one huge open world and you just select a starting point and figure it out from there as you expand and see how long you can make it before your civilization is eliminated by the Aetherials angry beavers?

Does it then also allow for a choice of I want to have a hippy town with nothing but wood and fruit as viable means vs the Industrialized mega city?
Do wild animals reproduce if you don’t deplete the whole stock?

2nd and I guess you could have a hippy town, but no idea how long your villagers will stay if you do.

Animals will reproduce I guess. Haven’t seen any baby deer running around though.

2 Likes

Love the resource management aspect, looking great and excited for EA.

Oh my god! I CANT WAIT!!!

I hope the gameplay is not limited to just open world free build mode. I wish there is some sort of campaign or story mode with it’s own objective and unique events.

Trading with others may unlock secondary objective with specific merchant event. Like the merchant from village B needs stone, if you can send them x amount they will increase the amount the stuff they sell to you. Other examples would be village C request weapon, if you can complete it, the trade between this 2 village will be much safer with regular patrol and will increase in profits for the time durations.

To spice things up, not everything is a request, sometimes there is also an extortion where other village ask for goods and you’ll get nothing, or other village ask for weapon and the results is more bandit attack your village. The messaging must be hard to distinguish between a request and extortion.

1 Like

Cant wait, See you Monday the 25th!

Not too much like Banished I hope. I liked Banished and Ostriv but both had too many restrictions that made the games feel jarring. In Banished the market was a pre-built building, which made Ostriv better because the market was your own making. The ratio of consumption and collection is WAAY off on both games, especially if you have under 100 people. It didn’t make sense but muscling through that hurdle the next issue was watching the city and falling asleep to no real activity. Enter Dawn of Man, a fun sandbox game that lets you start your settlement with literally nothing. If you can make it to its last “age” the issue was the amount of frequent attacks per 20 minute intervals (real time, not game). If you can hit somewhere in the middle of these games, I would love to play this game. Make the consumption rate per child/per adult in real terms, plus the variety doesn’t matter much in the beginning either. Don’t forget in real 1800, food was food, no one cared or was able to have variety until much, much later with the discovery of planting and trade. Give us a medicine hut to subsidize our people with vitamins from plants or snake oils until variety become more plentiful. And please, give us some music that has a beat or something. I cant tell you how many times Ive passed out from Ostriv’s music.