Just finished the game for the first time, getting into expansions as we speak, here is my review

1 Like

You beat normal main campaign in vanilla in less than 80h? (or did you play veteran?)

I must say, Grim Dawn’s progression is not beginner friendly and some of the systems have questionable design imo. Artifical complexity should be avoided in games at all costs and I feel like some of the game’s mechanisms fell into that trap by attempting to have too much player agency (indeed, there is such as thing as too much agency).

What systems? What artificial complexity?

For example, I feel like the loot system seen in Diablo 3 is superior in some ways, despite leading to more binary choices.

Here you actually gave an example. When I play Diablo 3, I do not upgrade items all the time simply because it is not needed. Item upgrades in Grim Dawn often means you have to swap components and such, so if you manage to find a dope ring early, it can stick with you for a long time. If you play normal, you don’t even need to upgrade gear to improve armor rating or resistances.

Plus, stats in Diablo 3 are much more transparent (in terms of how they affect your character)

You can see in game what physique, cunning and spirit does. There is also a quite extensive official game guide online.

Not a fan of the failed game state that always respawns the player in the same location. This forces one to utilize rifts as check points (as in, you could use the personal rift once in a while to shorten your backtracking). Not sure if this is intentional but I think that having fixed check point locations throughout the game’s flow is just a better design choice.

It is not that far between rift gates, this has never bothered me. Though it would be nice with some additional rift gates close to the entrances of the skeleton key dungeons (which will become important in end-game when you “need” to farm).

I played Veteran and was level 63 upon beating the final boss of the base game.

1 Like

Hello there!
Any advice for a beginner?
This is not my first ARPG, so you don’t have to write to a child. I went to the forum and I can’t find a section for beginners, and some tips and tricks would be useful to me

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure what forum you think you went to, but have a look in the Guides and Tutorials section, the Game Guide here

https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/

and the Beginners Build Compendium

Those should get you started.

2 Likes

That is such a broad question. Many of us long time players will probably advise you to explore the game on your own during your first playthrough. Then come back with more specific questions… some of them are answered in the Combat section of the Game Guide.

3 Likes

This is true, because of how deep GD can go with its mechanics, its hard to know where to even begin answering your question without writing entire walls of text, and when those walls of text have already been written beautifully in many guides (linked above) it saves time for you to play and read, then return when you have narrowed down your questions to specific game elements.

If I had to guess one thing you may be looking for tips about, I think the first thing I might start with are the attributes, and what game mechanics do they affect. Physique, Cunning, and Spirit are the games core attributes. Is this something you’re wondering about?

In other words, are you curious what Physique affects, what Cunning affects, and what Spirit affects?

Thank you SO MUCH <3
And I will no offtop more :wink: Have a nice one
New Path of Exile League (Known as PoE) Coming Soon Players from all over the world have played the Ritual League so far - but are slowly demanding something new. They need new items as well as poe orbs. If mankind had discovered the benefits of currency trading long ago, the world would have been better and more open - with no borders. In my opinion its great to buy some currency (PoE currency) BUY POE CURRENCY

Perhaps the compendium of beginner builds and guides can be a sticky so its easier for people to find?

As said explore, imo first it’s best to explore without any knowledge first
for novelty / pleasure of having to figure things out for yourself
if you come to some wrong conclusions (which you can then correct by reading stuff).

Maybe if you’d like knowledge in lighter form, you can watch YT series
by our forum user @RektbyProtoss: GD Basic Guides Playlist
This is ~5 hours of pure fun.

2 Likes

It’s included in the Build Compendiums sticky already.

1 Like

ah Build Compendiums here? Great I see it now :slight_smile: