Linux and GOG: how to install Grim Dawn?

What’s the problem you’re having?

Not yet, no.

Haven’t been able to install GOG, thus been unable to install GD.

Once i install Steam via PlayOnLinux, i have no problems installing GD. I thought i could do the same with GOG, which is why i bought it. Haven’t figured out how to install GOG :frowning:

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002853214-Installers-for-Linux-where-available-

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/installing_gog_games_on_linux

You might need to use GOG Galaxy to get it to work.

It will also make updating the game easier since GOG doesn’t always patch the game without it - which means every time the game is updated you have to download the whole game again and install. With Galaxy they patch so you just get the update.

So i wanted to make a topic with this exact text:

I’ve been playing Grim Dawn from Steam for about 4 months or so but i wanted to try the GOG version, so i bought it + Crucible DLC.

I use this guide to install the Steam version.

I figured i could do the same with GOG’s version and also install it on PlayOnLinux but i haven’t been able to make it work. I’m obviously doing something wrong but i just don’t know what :frowning:

Note that i’m still quite the noob with Ubuntu (only been using it for about 7 months) and this is my one and only game from GOG (for now).

Help?

But the post didn’t do through: tried multiple times but always failed to do the post, with no apparent error.

Right … this is going peachy … :frowning:

Posted that on the community forum, hopefully will get a reply soon H T C.

Not sure why it didn’t go through for you. Did you register on GOG? When I copy/pasted your tex the guide link didn’t show, but I was able to insert it by copying the opened link once more.

I was logged in @ the time. Don’t think it would let me even open up the “post new topic” otherwise.

Same when i copied it here: had to do the same thing.

Now, for the most important thing: where’s the damn “Thanks” button?

:smiley: This forum doesn’t use them. You can say thanks if/when we get a result that works for you.

The game’s alive :slight_smile:

Haven’t started just yet but i’m already @ the game’s interface: just need some clarification, which i posted in the post you made for me.

EDIT

Unlike before, i didn’t have any problems posting the reply there: strange.

Great news H T C. To answer your questions, yes you should have access to your characters in both Steam and GOG, assuming you’re using local saves. Not sure how the cloud saving works since I don’t use that.

Have you downloaded and installed the Crucible in GOG?

I use both cloud and local. So if i copy my local saves to GOG’s location, they’ll show up for GOG (after i deactivate cloud saves)?

Had downloaded both game and Crucible before installing. After installing the game, Crucible still shows as non present and when i click on it, it takes me to GOG’s buying page.

The game’s already @ the latest patch: i’ve checked.

EDIT

What’s GOG’s save location?

Also, there’s a small snag: my main char has Ashes of Malmouth but i don’t have that on GOG, yet. My other chars are still lvl 85 and have never made it into Ashes of Malmouth areas. They do however have items from the expansion since i’m using them as mules.

Dunno how this affects them.

You shouldn’t need to copy local saves to anything. Both Steam and GOG access those under C:\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save.

Have you tried reinstalling Crucible?

I also saw you seemed to have the problem because of GOG Galaxy? I can’t think why, but I would suggest installing it if you can because it makes updating the game much quicker, since Galaxy uses the patches/updates when they’re released. If you don’t have it, then every time there’s an update you have to wait for GOG to add that to the main game and then it all has to be downloaded again. This might not be a problem for you if you have fast download speeds, but where I am each time I had to do it, it took 1.5 hours so eventually I put Galaxy back on. Also in Galaxy you can try verifying the game files/repair which I don’t think you can do otherwise.

I installed the game via GOG galaxy but not galaxy itself: how do i go about doing that under wine? With Steam’s version, i have it set up so that the game doesn’t launch automatically so that i can change the launch settings should the need arise (like adding the /d3d9 parameter to launch properties, for example). With GOG’s version, it launches right away and i dunno how to set it up like Steams version.

As i said in previous reply, when i tried clicking on the DLC, it went to the buying DLC page. Since i already bought it, i didn’t continue.

Under Windows, the saves should be in the same location but under Wine they are in different locations due to two different virtual drives, but i found it: already copied the data to GOG’s location.

EDIT

Copying didn’t work :frowning:

How could you install it using Galaxy without installing Galaxy? :confused:

It must be something with the way Linux works. My games don’t launch automatically. I usually access them with the shortcut icon on my desktop or I can go into Steam/GOG and launch them from there.

Not so here. There is a shortcut for galaxy in the virtual drive’s desktop but i can’t access it because the game launches right away.

The saves are in the same place: just double checked. I had cloud saves disabled in Steam but not in-game: now it saves in the same place.

Um, may need to post that query over on the GOG forum. Only thing I can think of is can you right click on the Galaxy thing and then see if anything shows up there.

Make sure you do the same with the GOG version of the game: disable cloud saving in both GOG/Galaxy and ingame.

In your previous reply you mentioned i can start the game from GOG: how so?

Can’t click on the galaxy icon: disappears too fast as the game is loading. Tried running the game as a window to see if i could access it that way but still no :frowning:

Can’t disable under GOG within the game because the option is not there: IIRC, it was introduced with AoM’s DLC. Can’t disable in GOG itself because the game auto-launches.

When I didn’t have Galaxy installed I could go into my GOG account and launch the game from there.

Haven’t managed to figure out how, yet.

I get to here:

The file i used to install the game was the very 1st one. As the pic shows, it says to try GOG galaxy but the installer itself comes with it, as said in the pic. I downloaded all the files listed, including the DLC.

Nowhere in the page is an option to run the game :frowning:

I have a doctor’s appointment soon so i’ll have to try later tonight, after returning from work.

Um, weird. I get the same if I go direct to my account even though I’ve got Galaxy installed. That’s a problem at the GOG end because I get it with my Titan Quest AE copy as well. Unless it’s their way of forcing you to use Galaxy.

Managed to work it out, with the assistance of the Steam’s linux guide author. Here’s what’s necessary:

• download all the necessary files from the classic installers section (see pics #1 and #2), including the patches you have purchased, if any, for the patch version you want (supposedly, the latest one)
  • follow the Steam guide but, instead of selecting the Steam installer, select the game’s installer
  • when you get to the part that chooses “Steam.exe”, choose “Grim Dawn” instead
  • you’ll get a bunch of errors during the installation process, such as the one from pic #3: click ok in all of them
  • once finished, click exit
  • skip from vcrun2015 part, because the game installs it for you, until optimization part, because you’re not installing Steam’s version
    If you have no DLCs, you have finished and can now start the game

If you have DLC(s), you’ll need to add those:

• open PlayOnLinux
  • click Configure
  • select game (left side)
  • click Miscellaneous Tab
  • click “Install an .exe in this virtual drive”
  • select the installer
  • follow instructions
  • click exit once finished
  • repeat, if more then one DLC
  • you can now start the game

There’s a bit of bad news, though: whenever there’s a new patch, you’ll need to erase the virtual drive in PlayOnLinux and re-install the whole thing, after you download the necessary files from GOG. I tried to upgrade to 1.0.6.1 from 1.0.6.0 and it didn’t work.

I think i didn’t write anything out of order in these instructions.

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3