Looking for tanky caster

I am going back and forth with different classes to figure out what is a tanky class since im not very good at playing or is it called piloting. When the screen is filled with colors and explosions i get confused whats mine and whats the boss :smiley:
Currently i have a level 100 ritualist and i can do SR 65 max with him https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNk6KXRZ
Then i tried pet conjurer and its pretty ok’ish but i think something is missing. https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYO4AWV
As for leveling im trying phantasmal blade / ravenous earth and i like him but i hear that its not something thats played endgame.
I also wanted to try one of these AAR classes but not sure which is tanky.
RE opressor is also on my mind.

So as you can see im very confused on what to choose from.

Hey, if you level PB blades and RE, that mean you can play a superb caster through beginning till the end game. Check my Reaper build! [1.1.4.0] The Undead Shinobi of Cairn - PB Reaper, Gladiator in ~ 6 minutes

Thanks Nery i will try and see how it goes :slight_smile:

If you played in SR you probably have end game gear, but if you don’t have you can play of course Ravenous earth build.

You can try my lightning AAR build, if you like. It’s the most tanky AAR among them all:
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/armoured-mage-tanky-beginner-friendly-lightning-aar-mage-hunter-beginners-guide-included/89391
It’s beginner-friendly and is meant to be played self-found.

I’m not sure I would call your build beginner friendly…I feel like that should be reserved for target farmmable sets &/or builds using faction gear.

Basically, build using gear all players can 100% find.

E.g. You’re using Aleksander pants. I’m not sure if most beginners can even kill aleks

My build is exactly the one “using gear all players can 100% find”. Alex isnt scary at all, i’ve killed him first time at level ~95 (with character, started from scratch). He deals fire and aether damage, and my build has high resists VS both. And the main problem was not kill him, but grind rep and actually find him. By the time you get enough rep for that, you will be able to kill him with this build (if you do it properly). And those pants arent even mandatory!

It would be fair to say i like placing crap on the floor and then kite. Hence RE like my ritualist. And pet builds are also kiting.
What about your Opressor Nery? Tanky?

Ok. Just my 2 cents worth. I haven’t played legit self found in ages, so you’d know best.

Bear in mind though that aleksander does insane physical damage as well. Most hard hitting enemies do.

He does that “insane physical damage” once every 10-15 seconds, if not more. As long as his meteor doesnt oneshot you, just use HP potion and be fine. Or mirror (before impact). Of course, speaking strictly, meteor should be evaded, but i didnt even bothered with that. Alex is caster, he doesnt smash you with physical damage all the time, like Kupakabra.

RE is nice skill. But not sure how good is my Opressor there with optimal gear. Cause I built it cheaply as possible.

But if you like RE play it. If you want to add another skill then try the PB Reaper version. Basically in Grim Dawn you have so many cool skills to try :slightly_smiling_face:

@Sn00zZz I don’t mean to disparage anyone, but I honestly believe that if you want a target farmmable set you can assemble in 2 weeks of smart playing, dark one’s is the way to go.

It’s incredibly powerful for how universally accessible it is, and it is also tanky as shit.

I posted a guide more or less right below this one demonstrating how resilient an end-game dark one’s ritualist can be.

Magehunter’s like BOG suggested are also tanky buggers because of maiven’s, inqui seal, and aura of censure.

@BOG: I don’t think a new player would know how to play against aleksander. That’s my point.

OP just said he/she can’t pilot well. So I’m assuming he wants something capable of facetanking with impunity.

It just seems to me that until you assemble items like light’s defender (which isn’t easy), the magehunter isn’t going to be as beefy as yours is.

Not looking for an argument, I just want to voice my opinion, and let OP decide.

Posted a guide more or less right below? Call me stupid but what ritualist guide?

Uuuh thanks man i will try and get the last pieces and tune him a bit and hope for SR75 :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine is NOT a beginner’s guide. I wouldn’t follow it.

I haven’t done the work to make it beginner friendly. I would go with either nery’s or BOG’s.

Well its just that i have a lvl 100 ritualist with dark one set right now. I posted GT link in main post.

I see. Uh…which items in my GT do you have/don’t have?

Dark one set is basically the only thing i have in common

Let’s move this to PM