Lowest/Minimum (negative) Resistance Limit?

Hello, I am trying to find the answer to what is the lowest an enemy resistance can go. I read that resistance can go into negatives once and if that is true I want to know what’s the negative cap or if there is a negative cap.

Also is the resistance still just a simple multiplier calculation when it goes into negatives? E.g. -50% resistance would be a 1.5 damage multiplier. Or does it get diminishing results of some kind? It’s a shame this game is not popular so information is tough to find and the wiki is outdated and simply uncomprehensive.

There is no resistance minimum.

No diminishing results.

1 Like

Well of course it has diminishing returns. The more you have, the less relative damage increase it provides. Similar to %damage.

For example changing enemy res from 50% to 40% res gives 20% relative damage increase
whereas from 0% to -10% “only” gives 10% relative damage increase.

It’s is worth to mention % Reduced Target’s Resistances in this context. It can have bad returns because it multiplies the enemies resistance after all -% Res so for example if enemy has 100% Vitality Res and you got total -100% Vit Res then you get absolutely nothing from 15% Reduced Target’s resistances beucase it’s 0 * 0.85 = 0. And if enemy has 120% you get (120% - 100%) * 0.85 = 17% - only 3% gain from 15% on paper. This is why for example Potent Essence of Ch’thon augment is rarely taken despite looking amazing on paper.

I’d assume it’s either -500% or -999% (since the max resist we see an enemy have is 500%) not that you’ll ever hit that value

Sure, but relativity wasn’t asked about. 20% damage will always give you 20% damage (additive) regardless of how much % damage you’ve got. Same with RR.

This is how diminishing returns are defined and used. You don’t have to use the word ‘relative’.

This has often less practical value. You should usually look at relatives gains when comparing two different damage boosts, for example OA to 100% damage (not always though).

I’m aware of what diminishing returns are. However, diminishing returns were not asked about.

I think you should reread the OP. How could diminishing returns be not asked about if you yourself wrote thera are no diminishing returns? :rofl:

TIL results = returns.

Diminishing returns means that if you gain 20% damage, you actually don’t gain 20% damage over what you already had (a relative comparison). This does happen in GD.

Diminishing results would mean that in a vacuum, +20% damage from 0% damage wouldn’t be 20% more damage because of some arbitrary curve flattening, such as a logarithmic scale. This doesn’t happen in GD.

2 Likes

I’ve just got up and didn’t even notice he used a different word. Not totally sure if it makes any difference or what OP meant but I can accept your definition as its seems useful and leave it at that. Is it widely used?

1 Like

To be perfectly bloody honest with you…

…I’ve never seen that usage before in my life. :rofl:

But what OP was describing here didn’t sound like a question of diminishing returns so I rolled with it.

1 Like