Manual upgrading of houses?

After turning off automatic upgrading of houses I found no way to manually upgrade them. There is a circle with an upwards arrow that looks like a button when a house meets the requirements, but clicking it seems uneffective.

It would be nice to be able to control the upgrading for making sepparate districts in the town, or to control the spenditure of resourses for upgrading after building a big new service builing.

I also tried turning auto upgrade back on, to start the few building that met requirements, and the turn it back off. Then the construction sites were paused without any obvious way to turn them back on other than turning auto upgrade back on.

2 Likes

Houses upgrade automatically. The toggle for automatic upgrades simply pauses this process to conserve resources you may otherwise need elsewhere.

1 Like

I see, I mistakenly assumed there would be a manual mode as opposed to the automatic then.

Then what does this means:

“When toggled off, shelters can still be upgraded, but require manual input.”
( Guide – Gameplay – Buildings – Farthest Frontier)
→ Upgrading Buildings
?

Paul

1 Like

It means I need to update the game guide, because it was written long ago.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Not to be that guy but I feel like there should be a manual mode in cases where you might want to upgrade one or a couple of shelters but not all of them.

I ran into the issue of having all of my shelters be eligible for upgrading all at once which created a surge of need for wood/planks and my supplies quickly ran out. I still wanted some of them to be upgraded though as it would give some nice extra income.

Would it be too much to ask that we can upgrade shelters manually like any other building? :pray:

5 Likes

I agree, manual option to upgrade houses would be very useful.

3 Likes

We tried having manual upgrades long ago (thus the error in the game guide), and it did not work well.

Had to spend a lot of time just staring at the houses hoping to snipe one to upgrade whenever they met the requirements. It did not feel good when you’d rather just be working on the town.

If we ever bring that back, it would require extensive changes.

1 Like

Maybe rename the button to “enable/disable upgrading houses” as the word automatic would imply a manual way to be available? As a less extensive change that could avoid some confusion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If its too much work for adding manual upgrades, I think you make a great point and would be worth updating to make less confusing terminology.

It would be nice to upgrade shelters manually.
All other buildings are manually so (for my logic) i want the posibility to upgrade shelters in the same way.

2 Likes

I gotta ask, where do you disable automatic upgrades of houses?

Top right of the screen.

okey, that’s not very easy to spot.
I’ve looked almost all over lol

I’m never waiting on “houses to upgrade up”, it becomes my focus when I feel my settlement is there (and I take actions towards it).

Why not make an icon appear on top of the house when one is ready for an upgrade?

• “Automatic upgrade mode” never shows icons
  • Icons could be toggled off in options if not wanted for immersion
  • Power users get their desired level of control

It’s already how all the rest of the building work anyways, why break that logic?
THAT feels off actually… Until I searched and ended up here I was convinced this was a bug…

Everybody wins then!

1 Like

Beside the setting button. Displays either a house with 2 arrows up when Disabled, in light blue, or a house with a lock when enabled, in orange.

How are the upgrading systems different for houses then for other buildings technically? Seems like a strange way to program your way through, to have them function differently. Would have expected the auto upgrading function would have been something that came after designing the manual upgrading system.

Actually it would be really nice to only upgrade MY choice of building one after the other rather than having none or all

1 Like

That sounds like you only had the manual function then, though, right? People want to turn off the automatic function sometimes, then manually choose, and maybe turn it back on automatic later on. When you’re always “hoping to snipe one to upgrade whenever they met the requirements”, that means you want to upgrade as fast as possible. Of course a manual function doesn’t make sense in such a case! People asking for a manual alternative obviously wouldn’t want to upgrade asap.

I ran into this today for the first time after apparently disabling auto upgrade at some unknown point. I am fine with it being an all or nothing thing if there were a way to control the impact when you re-enable after a pause. When I turned it back on after figuring out why it wouldn’t let me update and wasn’t doing it on its own was jarring and caused my system to lock up for a few minutes.
Suggestion 1: If auto upgrading is off and someone is trying to click the upgrade arrow over the house or within the house card it flashes up something telling you that it is disabled or as others suggested have the symbol for the upgrade arrow be a different color if disabled.
Suggestion 2: When auto upgrade is turned back on it should affect one eligible property at a time. When I turned it back on suddenly 4 houses went into upgrade demanding all materials at once. That was shocking and disrupted the other work I was doing. If it had just started one at a time I could have handled the “sudden impact” easier and controlled the cleanup from the accidental disabling of auto upgrading.

1 Like