Market-Centric Layout Flawed?

Hi Celebrindan, your idea of a firewood splitter by the smokehouses in the centre of all the fields works brilliantly.

1 Like

…and now it has been in the 8.0 notes:

"Grocers are the second bit of AI that you can look forward to already. Grocers are currently bugged in that they are not properly stocking the homes in their work area. This bug has been resolved in v0.8.0.

Not only that, we have upgraded their AI so they are better about not only stocking their markets, but also keeping nearby shelters stocked for all their needs, including food, firewood, water, soap, herbs, and luxury goods."

3 Likes

I wonder how they’ll balance out the boost in efficiency we should see from the markets finally working! Just for those masochists that don’t enjoy swimming in resources. :wink:

1 Like

If you already kept building your village to maximise efficency (more or less) you won’t notice significant boost. It will help “the others” more. For me what counts is finally my “4 soldiers shelters” will finally get an upgrade :slight_smile:

If the Market distro system becomes at least as efficient as the Wainwright, taking multiple items per trip to top off all of a household’s Market-borne items, foods and firewood, like the Wainwright will when the Market is it’s point of departure to stock a Temporary Shelter, then the cut down in travel time by workers from Shelter Stocking alone will boost production by at least 30% across the board.

The mitigating factors are that many of the upper-level household items are not part of the Market’s bill of fare and must be obtained elsewhere, and none of those locations generate revenue.

Soap, Baskets, Furniture, Candles, Glassware, Spices, Pottery, Shoes, Clothing and Hide Coats are not part of the local cash economy because they are not part of the Market’s goods.

That means those common and luxury goods that make their way into homes or worn are never part, and the excess goods are not part of the cash economy until they are sold at the Trading Post.

Workers will still be breaking away to obtain high level goods when they first become available, but not nearly so often.

Thirty percent from all buildings of manufacture.

If left unchecked this could cancel out the cookie-cutter repetition of design needed to maximize workflow.

That would be a real bummer.

What do you mean? Except for clothing and tools, all of those should be delivered by the upgraded market.

Furniture, Glassware and Spices are the only items that cannot be manufactured in T2.

You’re saying I have to have a second-generation market to sell these low level first-gen items, Soap, Baskets, Candles, Clothing, Coats and Pottery?

How does that make any sense?

I didn’t say it did. I agree that soap, candles and pottery should be delivered by T1 markets.

But that doesn’t mean there’s no way to have luxuries delivered to homes in the game.

1 Like

I’m sure the pots and soap are! Even tho they are not hard-listed, they bring them and keep them in the market.

1 Like

If these goods and be stocked and distributed by the new Market delivery system, then the 30% bump in production I have predicted will be a wildly conservative estimate.

It’s possible that only when a new item is introduced to the economy by a freshy constructed manufacturer will workers bolt for Shelter Stocking of these goods as the first editions roll off the assembly line.

Production could see 40%, and even 50% spikes, depending on the type of layout you favor.

Cities being virtual cookie-cutter copies of one another to facilitate production requirements will be a thing of the past.

I thought so, too, but I didn’t want to make that claim when I’m not a 100% and might be misremembering. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s hard to accurately predict, but I’m also expecting some big jumps in productivity. I hope they’ll rebalance this in the future, to offer a difficult eco option for those who want that.

I don’t think we see carbon copies of towns because the eco side of FF is currently super hard, and I doubt markets working as originally intended will change anything about that. That’s mostly a consequence of grid + aura-stacking as a basic mechanic of the game. There’s plenty of options to lower difficulty, and yet even at pacifist runs you’ll see the layouts posted on the wiki and elsewhere be adopted from time to time.

1 Like

Difficulty can be added at any time, by simply changing from a favored a layout to something less productive and/or not providing any protection.

The grid design is almost unavoidable when creating with straight lines and square spaces.

Until they introduce the ability to create curved and angled wall sections and buildings, grids will be the default among most all save the most dedicated and hard-bitten of the 625 Club.

Yeah, you can also tie your hands behind your back and play only using your nose - but that’s not the added challenge I was talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just purposefully trying to make your layout less efficient as a way to raise difficulty is ridiculous. Optimizing your town is the challenge I want to overcome. Sure people might starve when I stretch my town needlessly across the map, but that doesn’t offer me any challenge I can overcome.

So no, I would really like bigger challenges from the game itself. If an army burns down my harvest or a harsh winter drives off all the deer for a year or freezes my cows to death - I’d be in a pickle if I didn’t preserve any extra pickles from the good harvests. I need such fluctuations in production, otherwise preserving food is absolutely pointless. I’ll just assign those workers to farm more, instead of making preserves.

You don’t want to see my town layouts or even just the virtual graph paper sketches! :smiley:
Not your usual grid… yet still efficient. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is where and how the cookie-cutter is made.

If X placement results in Y, the desired outcome, that becomes the standard.

If the same outcome does not require X placement, the cookie-cutter die is not cast.

Don’t go giving the humblebraggers any new ideas now. :rofl:

If you want an idea of how much impact the market stocking change will have then click on your townhall and you can see what percent of time is spent on ‘basic needs’ and ‘transferring goods’ in the Time Management bar graph. Time spent stocking shelters is probably a subset of either or both of those. On my current village they’re at 12% each, so I don’t expect the change will actually have much impact.