Minor Feedback for Pet Builds

I’m playing a “Pokemon” theme pet Conjurer build, with 1 of each pet that I can get. This is my first play through and I’m loving it, but there’s some minor feedback I wanted to share:

• Crab Spirit’s AOE attack causes a severe performance drop when it hits lots of enemies at once on screen. My FPS tanks from stable 120 to something like 3 while the attack is animating. I have almost died a few times because enemies are still attacking while I can’t play the game.

• After dying or exiting the game, it doesn’t remember which “toggle abilities” I had enabled, such as Bonds of Bysmiel or Mogdrogen’s Pact. Sometimes I don’t notice they’re not enabled and am confused why I’m suddenly much squishier since there’s no real visual indicator other than the buff bar!

• When running around the map, some pets movement speed is slower than others. I understand in combat this makes sense, but “outside of combat” I feel like they should never be slower than the player character. It’s annoying watching them lag behind, and then teleport back to me. Sometimes they get caught by traps etc as well. This particularly affects the Black Grimoire of Og’Napesh (Summon Revenant) and Hysteria rune (Summon Crab Spirit) as they walk extremely slowly.

• I don’t really know if this is a bug or not, but enemies (especially heroes and bosses) seem to randomly lose interest in fighting my pets and sprint straight at me. Even with most of my pets having skills which “Generate Additional Threat” such as Ground Slam and Ember Claw. I’m not really sure how threat is supposed to work, and I couldn’t find much information online, but I’d imagine just standing there doing nothing shouldn’t generate any threat at all? It means I have to focus a large amount of gear + skills + devotion on personal defence, instead of improving my pets like I want to. If this is intended, ignore.

• This isn’t related to pet builds, but when right clicking an item to equip it, if it’s the same “size” as the item I’m replacing (for example 4x4 for gloves) then it should swap the items “in place” rather than dump the previous item randomly in the inventory. It makes it really hard to find where the item went in crowded, carefully managed inventories. Sometimes I want to keep both items situationally you know?

1 Like

that’s just the game, always been, probably always will be (atleast given the stage of game dev i’m assuming that isn’t gonna change)

stack speed, agree it looks off and doesn’t “feel” good, but if you stack speed and use the pet command button you can keep them running infront of you atleast (tho it’s a hassle and requires a bunch of speed stacking, which is a little absurd since some pets are mega slow and require a zillion speed :unamused:)

there are 2 things at play here, one is that a bunch of bosses straight up have aggro resist and or taunt immunity
and apparently there is a hidden aggro mechanic, where pets over time confer aggro to player
dev said this is deliberate to not just make every boss fight a full on afk fight where you can sleep at the reins

don’t think it’s random, pretty sure it just occupies the first full sized free slot, and if you click the same sized item in your inventory it will replace it (atleast mine does), unless there is a slot free “earlier” in the inventory rows

as for the Crab issue, don’t really have much of an idea what that could be, don’t recall mine tanking performance that hard atleast, but wouldn’t be impossible for an aoe fx to do that i guess :thinking:

1 Like

Ah I thought this game was still being actively developed? I only posted this because I thought it would be helpful to the devs, but it’s not a major annoyance anyway, just a minor annoying thing.

I’ll give this a go, though I haven’t found any speed buffs for pets yet except for Occultist > Manipulation which I can’t fit in this build unfortunately.

I figured it might be a balance thing - definitely keeps me on my toes but I usually love playing “relax mode summon build” in these kinds of games.

Yeah “random” was the wrong word to use - it’s always the first available spot in the inventory, but most other games in this genre try their best to swap the items in the same position rather than move them around. I like to have multiple sets of gear in a separate bag in my inventory and swap them as the need arises, and freaked out when I thought my items disappeared for the first time, but it just went into another bag.

don’t let any of the other pet players see this, because it doesn’t get much more heretic heresy than this :sweat_smile:

“bonus to all pets” total speed fortunately isn’t that super rare, bunch of items, devos and even augments and components have it, but it def does require some “attention” to stack still
i don’t remember the “exact” value when pets, even the slow ones, manage to consistently stay infront of you, around 100?, more?less? unsure, but it is doable even during levelling (tho that part would require a bit of RNG ofc from total speed bonus items)

1 Like

Yeah I got the feeling I was “fighting the meta” as soon as I started this build with no research haha. It’s definitely not the best build but I find it fun at least. Mostly my hands hurt after work and I don’t want to have to click buttons, and I find it satisfying to watch my minions do everything for me like the old Overlord games. If you want to gaze upon the heresy I’ve got a GrimTools build I’ve been using as a reference:

Mostly focused on health regen, defence, and lots of pets. I skilled 1 spell for each pet because it makes me happy.

tqFan is good with the lazy support stuff, so you could possibly make a "non-lazy"pet build to be actually lazy
anyways, can reduce some points in some of the bonus pet nodes, like ember claw, mog pact bump your occu master bar and get manipulation (and maybe even some blood of dreeg+aspect of the guardian :yum:)

2 Likes

Wow that’s really helpful! I do have joint problems and this looks like it would help me a lot, thanks!

1 Like

just tested, at 100% pet movement speed (char page 2 stats), and player 124% movement speed (lazy test), even the slow ass skeletal servant from Dirge of Arkovia would stay in front of player, and even be able to catch up without teleport
Harbinger from salazar blade however required over 130% movement speed
(pets get movement speed from pet total speed stat but it’s still labelled individually by speed name in the sheet)

1 Like

I didn’t know these have such cool skill icons

I’m not really a pet player so not sure what would be best but for example

• one button that spams all the summoning skills when you hold it

• Blood of Dreeg you could be not afraid of as it could be autocast

• one button for all permabuffs and pets initial cast, even from the 2nd hotbar, can even change their behavior to aggressive for example

• button that you hold that pickup items

• could combine i.e. Pet Attack with Curse of Frailty or one less button

• something for camera rotation if you do it and don’t like dragging the mouse

2 Likes

Generate add. Threat is stackable, until it reaches its max value called “taunt”. You can see this with sufficient points in briarthorne. Only taunt is enough to distract nemeses.

1 Like

:grin:

Yeah, some more, some less. Where can you find that stat? Not in Monster Database?

it’s in monster database, you just gotta scroll down the monster skill page, since not all type stats/effects are listed in the regular character sheet/resist page

1 Like

500% taunt protection

Thanks Chthon I’ve taken anger management class

2 Likes

I think Summoner isnt just a clear “mother-pet-feeder”. 2nd place after “+ to pet stats” must will be your survivability. Some shields, absorbs, reflects, dispells, fears/stuns and tonns of HP/Def. Cus enemies most often deal AOE damage and your body can be affected too.
I am not Pro in GD, just ~190h and this is from 5 parallel leveling characters, cus i cant choose main from DK, Ritualist, Warlord, Oculist (Sentinel based on Dreeg’s Evil Eye spam) and Spellbreaker, but my Ritualist most enduring of them. 2 fat and aggro generating pets in stock + 1-2 “fatty” from items + dmg from skeletons and temporary summons.
Imho, summoner - most interesting and “piano” class in GD. What we were missing in previous D2-clones.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.