'Missing Builds?'

I hate to lose sailor, and bat was there really because it gave me some red and green affinity… but that makes a lot of sense :slight_smile:

Edit: If that life leech isn’t needed, this could also be pretty good I think :
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7Okb5V

Aetherfire on PRM should proc pretty often, and be fully converted

We even have one point left

Good idea as it procs on your targets
Maybe use this spare point for Sailor you wanted: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/p25OBmKZ
(actually just notice you lack healing in this build, might be kinda sketchy)

@DeputyChuck Going for Mythical Scion of Bitter Winds and maybe some other source of Vit -> Acid (i.e. Ring / Chest) and Bat could be an option too

so I think I’d personally go back to your first devo with Bat + Sailor but get Vit -> Acid to make Bat work

1 Like

@DeputyChuck If we allow for GDStash impossible builds, we could do this:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0ml0EZ (added Shuroth)

:laughing:

Also let’s just take 2 x Shuroth for 100% Vit to Acid with Scion of Bitter Winds and don’t overthink it :wink:

Btw nice defenses:

• 40% Phys res
  • 2 x Absorption (Mirror + Possesions)
  • Damage Reduction from Yugol
  • Mirror / Nullification
  • Bat
2 Likes

Wow~ I need to include epic sets more often in my set searches! That one totally flew under my radar and both me chosen helm and shoulders can easily be replaced for those! although I REALLY do HATE loosing RR but there are cases where it’s justified. A am happy with how many points I have in the line currently 25/16 - 21/12 - 20/12 - 17/12
But the insane amount of points that a set that simple contains for the skill I’m using seems like a no brainer!

2 Likes

Sounds like a winner to me :slight_smile:

DA is a bit low though…

Want to take it for a spin ?
I’ve never gone beyond SR 50 and never actually beat crucible 170, so i’m probably not the pilot we’re looking for here :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d say, thread continues here?

1 Like

No, I’m too lazy atm, preferring playing MC, also not good at Arcanist, maybe some other time.

If you finished the tools I can try fixing DA (not compromising anything ofc) - I really like the puzzle of pulling a lot of DA out of nowhere.

1 Like

Could be.

I mean this is your thread, with your ideas :slight_smile: Didn’t mean to steal the show or anything.

It just inspired me to post a checklist with different requirements so it’s more… tangible to me, if you will.

1 Like

Yet still, you did ecactly that now, didn’t you…

You people are all the same.

No matter. When your thread finishes, I still will know what I need to.

Not sure what you mean but I can assure you there was no malicious intents behind my thread.

I think what you want and what I posted are different enough so I don’t derail your thread any further. If anything, my thread can even help you compile that list of yours by narrowing down what hasn’t been done yet.

3 Likes

Your thread is by far better and much more productive so I’m glad that you took the initiative to start it. I will PM with just a few ideas I had to help out with it a bit.

2 Likes

As a person who tests a lot of builds (ones I make from the forums and ones sent to me by well known builders,) I can safely say two things: there are always new and interesting builds, as I have made about 2-300 and still am seeing new stuff AND most of what we can explore is pretty much explored. There are always new builds, but the general feel of said builds is often going to be similar so something else. A pierce DW cadence blademaster pretty much feels the same as a cold DW amarasta reaper, with minor differences. The skeletons of a lot of builds are similar: tanky 2H melee, DW speedy melee, spam caster, cooldown caster, etc. I’m not saying it isn’t worth exploring new builds, but that the general feel of any build has already been explored. It seems like a pointless task to round up a bunch of same-feeling or mediocre concepts when tested, strong versions of those concepts already exist. VF sabo is one of my favorite builds. It’s like a combination of a DW melee build and a retal build, and I only need the mouse to play it. It’s amazing. An unexplored version would be with more focus on veil of shadow and nights chill passive damage with VF converted to cold with an MI. This is a cool concept but it doesn’t have enough support, so it will be worse. It isn’t a lost cause and not worth exploring, but it’s just not as supported and powerful as the base fire version, and feels the same, so it’s not urgent to have that build out there.

3 Likes
  1. To me all builds are equally pointless because numbers and the degree of support are arbitrary, there are various ways to play endgame whereas the process of making and optimizing a build is universal so one can simply choose not to be a slave of what’s best supported / performance.

1. It’s very relative - i.e. it could be said any non-BK Bone Harvest, i.e. Aether one of yours.
    Also the feeling is not the only thing as there’s also the visual aspect for example Korvan Wyrm with yellow Physical Primal Strike and Inquisitor Seal. And one can help themselves with modding if the game doesn’t differentiate some (skill, damage type) combo well.

Why one would even play it over optimized Raka’Jax Vindicator or, more generally, some spam pass-through Primal Strike?

1. One other thing is by making memes sometimes discoveries are made and you cannot just limit the creative process to what seems to be best supported / viable / practical because it would be the same as i.e. cutting funds to 99% of Theoretical Mathematics because only 1% of it has any use in the real world as it would negatively impact all of it and we would still be living in caves:

1. Also what’s a meme one day can be the strongest build another day and you never know when it’s getting buffed. Again, as it’s arbitrary it doesn’t really matter to me and just making the build in Grim Tools is great fun on its own since there are so many things to analyze / fine-tuning to be done.

You may answer “Well I don’t say not to make those builds” but then your message comes down to “You having fun here in this way is pointless” or “Make those builds but don’t be so urgent / don’t expose / round them the up”. However this would make your post even more pointless so I’ve chosen not to interpret your message this way and tried to extract the part one can discuss with.

2 Likes

You all have clearly forgotten the golden rule of Grim Dawn:
NoFunAllowed

1 Like

name

1 Like

I’m not arguing with any of that. To be more clear, I’m saying there is not an urgent need for a list of every single possibility. My examples were more to illuminate why there aren’t guides already posted about some of these things. I know you’re smart enough to know that the primary builders on here are trying to get the best possible performance out of their builds. It’s not a matter of whether builds exist for the “missing” types, but rather that people have likely played with those configurations and didn’t find them worthwhile to post. I fully agree that creativity and fun are king, and people should enjoy the game however they see fit. I am just being realistic, that the most used, trusted, and powerful combinations are what will pervade the meta and be what people lean toward making and what people lean toward posting.

2 Likes

Tbh I more or less expressed the same sentiment in my first post here:

Forum is just more time consuming but they, I mean all the builders including the ones you’re talking about, find it worthwhile to post all their meme builds on Discord and share with others, they don’t just keep them hidden to themselves. And even post them on forums here Missing builds workshop

There is an urgent need, you just don’t get it. You say you don’t argue with me yet you seem to not have understood me at all or simply have different preferences. Many players think the same as me.

2 Likes

The game has plenty of depth and diversity. I’m saying that we have tons and tons of options already. Collecting and posting literally everything would be even more confusing than it already is for new players. So many builds are just slight variations that everything will just become oversaturated and no one will have any idea what to make. For us players who have 1000+ hours and tons of experience, it is different, but I am trying to view this from the lens of urgency to the community at large and the noob Andy’s

2 Likes

I personally find myself between both your positions.

I agree that the reason why most meme builds don’t get posted is that they are essentially the same as another build, but performs slightly worse… That’s just the way things are.

On the flip side, I also agree that sharing everything meme-y we come up with is beneficial to the game and community in and of itself for a variety of reasons. Chief among them is new and interesting ways to enjoy our time with this game. But also some of the points @tqFan brought up: having a showcase of different possibilities opens avenues for creative thinking, discovering a quirk of the mechanics that may be buffed further down the line (or even a new and powerful combo that no one has foreseen so far)

I mean, it might also play different enough that some people would love this much more too. I have some skills I love using, and others I’d rather not… if you can find a way for me to play Primal strike without having to use Wind Devil, I’ll take it! It might not be as good, but if I can enjoy a playstyle without some of the downsides, it might be worth it to someone out there. (That’s just an example, I know there are a lot of Primal strike conversion out there)

That’s partly why I started that thread Once you start figuring out the game (Like I’m doing lately) thinking of the possibilities is a game in itself. I wanted to share that game within the game with others who might be interested, not only because I feel we need to have ALL TEH BUILDZ!

That said… once we get far enough in my thread, I know we’ll reach a point where only a few builds will be left, and they will be made using known formulas, with just the right conversions and tweaks… they will be nothing more than strictly inferior versions of something else made half-heartedly just to check a to-do list. At that point, the exercise will be much less interesting IMO. But until then, I’m making discoveries (I had no clue a pierce deceiver could be so good and tanky) and that’s what matters :slight_smile:

I agree that most of these builds do not deserve their own thread, unless they stand out either through their gameplay, performance, visual or something else… Doing so would dilute the point of that forum section, which is to inform players.

At the same time, if we keep those funky builds in a single dedicated thread, we have that “rabbit hole” that people are free to jump into if they want, without clogging the tubes.

3 Likes

Well said. Cold AAR was my favorite meme build till we all realized it wasn’t a meme haha

3 Likes