[MOD] Grim Dawn Legacy Mod (revert balancing changes)

For the past year or so, every time Crate drops a new major patch I extract all the game’s .dbr files and compile them into a mod so that I am able to play all my old builds as they were in previous versions of the game. Since it seems like the game won’t be getting another major patch for quite some time, I figured that now would be a good time to release these mods to the public.

Basically, these mods just revert all items, skills, and enemies to as they were in a previous patch. Items/skills/enemies that didn’t exist in a previous patch remain as they are in the most recent patch. I included all major patches since v1.1.3.1, along with corresponding mods for the Crucible gamemode (since the Crucible has its own .dbr files separate from the main game). Also, note that this mod requires both the Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods expansions to use (I think).

ModDB link: https://www.moddb.com/games/grim-dawn/downloads/grim-dawn-legacy-mod

10 Likes

Very cool, good way to go back in time

1 Like

Hi all,

I just started using this mod and it’s working great, with one problem- the enemy levels/healthbars at the top of the screen are all goofed up. While floating healthbars at least make this playable, being able to tell an enemy’s level is pretty useful and important (and it looks bad as is). Any thoughts on fixing this? Thanks in advance.

Also if someone could point me to how to make item transfer/shared stash work for Custom Game that’d be great thanks, never messed with mods in this game before.

I just tested it (on Linux tho) and I see the same issue. I would suggest just posting in the modders thread. Clicking on his name and reading the popup, it appears that he is still lurking around here…

Or I could @jir682 here :eyes:

1 Like

cheeky image

Do you mean moving your shared stash to Custom Game? Or something doesn’t work at all.

Should be fixed now, thanks for pointing this out! I believe I fixed the crucible mods as well, but I didn’t test them because I don’t currently have GrimInternals set up.

As far as transfer/stash, I believe the .gst/.gsh files will be located at “C:\Users<username>\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save<mod_name>” (if you have cloud saving disabled). There should be a separate set of .gst/.gsh files for each mod, so you will have a separate stash for each mod + the base game; you might be able to get around this by using a 3rd party stash manager like GDStash or GDItemAssistant. I think you can just copy/paste the .gst/.gsh files from your base game’s save files to the appropriate directory and have all of your stuff. If that doesn’t work, you may also need to edit the files with something like GDStash to mark the save file as being “in mod” (I don’t remember if this was a thing or not - it’s been a long time since I’ve messed with the game files).

1 Like

Thank you! The healthbar fix works and it’s wonderful.

As far as stash is concerned, this update seems to also have fixed the shared stash for my custom files as well. While I could probably figure out how to move my stash from main to custom, I’m actually kind of looking forward to starting my shared stash from scratch, so I am happy with it as is.

Jk. I logge din today and most of my progress was gone. Played an hour or so then closed and reopened to check, gone again. Quest progress and map visibility progress are saved, but exp, items, devotion shrines, and unlocked rifts are not. This may be a general custom mode thing rather than mod specific- does anyone know a fix?

EDIT: I can confirm looking at my character file in the “user” folder that its date modified is yesterday- it has not saved anything from today. The character’s folder in the “main” folder has the correct time updated (i.e. a few minutes ago), but still hasn’t actually saved anything.

This could be a sign that you have Microsoft OneDrive running down in your system taskbar.

OneDrive likes to hijack the Documents folder, which is where Grim Dawn’s local saving folder is located…
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME_HERE\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn
…and in doing so it can cause symptoms similar to what you describe.

Basically, as the game is writing to its save files OneDrive sees this happening, and since it’s a cloud service and considers this location to be under its purview, it will immediately snag those files as they are changing and place them under its own location…

It’s definitely not an issue with the mod itself.

Nope that aint it, I generally avoid cloud saving like the plague for precisely this reason. Double-checked to be sure and it’s not running. I have no idea :man_shrugging:

It seems to be a problem with copying a folder from “main” over to “user”- characters I create completely in “user” from the ingame Custom Game menu seem to track progress properly.

Then the only thing I can suggest is to check and/or adjust the read/write permissions on the Grim Dawn folder(s). Another thing to check (if you have a 3rd party anti-virus installed) is to exclude this directory from its scans and interference.

One way or the other it has to do with some thing or some setting, somewhere, meddling and interfering with the game’s ability to write to its save files.

Checking again it does seem to be writing something, it’s just to the wrong version of the character folder. I’m going to try copy pasting from main and then deleting the character’s actual “main” folder and see if that clears it up.

EDIT: Welp, not only did it not work, but the game actually automatically created a new folder in the “main” directory for that character. I could continue to copy paste the newest version of the folder over to the “user” directory whenever I feel like playing, but that seems like a real pain. I may just have to live a sad, crucible-free life on future chars and say goodbye to all my existing ones.

Ah - I just read this closer and realized what the issue is…

You cannot simply copy folders from main over to user. The game has a specific FLAG that needs to be set for mod characters. The only way to do this correctly is with a very few select tools made by the GD community. GD Stash in particular is the most prominent choice:

…the “In Mod” flag needs to be set and then saved if you move any characters from “main” to a user folder, or there will be such issues. It is also not advised to have the same named characters in multiple spots. GD Stash can also rename characters for you.

1 Like

So I should be able to circumvent these issues fairly easily if I download GD stash and use that to manage files?

Assuming that this is the heart of the current problem, yes. Either way it goes, the “In Mod” flag needs to be set on any “main” characters you move to user folders - or there will always be issues.

Not to manage files, but to edit them in a way that is consistent with what GD expects / would create. That is any char in save\main does not have the ‘In Mod’ flag set, any char in save\user has it set.

GD uses this flag to determine where to save (not the location it read the file from), so if your user char has it not set, it will be saved in main and it appears as if all your progress is lost, unless you keep copying it over.

So if you want to transfer a vanilla char to a mod, copy the char from main to user, then select it in GD Stash and set the flag. Only after that load it in GD.