Monster level scaling - from a newbie!

Hi there!

I recently played “Grimarillion” and noticed that there is no area level cap for monsters (i encountered lvl 42 mobs outside the first town, in vanilla game they were level ~3).

I would like to create a mod that alters exp gain and remove the area level cap.

Where should i look?

I must confess that i am a newbie regarding modding… so expect a lot of questions here. :stuck_out_tongue:

You should be expecting to do a lot of ‘research’ on your own. Chances are you won’t always get answers to your questions, esp not if you constantly come up with new ones instead of investing some time yourself.

So my first advice here is to get WinMerge, extract the GD arz files (and combine the result in one dir by copying AoM over GD and FG over both), extract the Grimarillion arz and then use WinMerge to compare the content.
I believe the level limit for an area is in the records/proxies entries and that there is a one line difference between Grimar and GD because of this.

No idea about xp gain. If you have a mod that has that, use the same approach as above and go through its changed entries to check how that was done.

No idea about xp gain. If you have a mod that has that, use the same approach as above and go through its changed entries to check how that was done.

The experience gate is a formula in with the OA/DA, health regen, etc, record. I was not interested in all of the monsters XP but you can change the XP required to level with the experience gate. This has some powercreep affects on quest reward XP, But changing a formula in 1 record is far easier than all the monsters experience.