Monster respawn idea

Hey guys and developers!

Im a fan of Crate games from Ukraine

At first i want to say developers “thank you” for a hard work with last DLC, its very cool and its refreshing to have some new acts and features.

But i want to ask: why in 2017 we still need to logout back to main menu and back into game to make monsters respawn?

Yes, i know this thing is “classic” and pretty fast. I know that community almost never had a problem with that when playing alone. But this little thing is the ONLY thing that dont give me a chance to buy this game for my wife or a friend. The game is fun, but im cursed to play alone cause farming in party (lets say the same cave or boss) quitting the game, then making a new game, waiting for a friend to join and after that killing a boss again, and again and again. Every time quitting to the main menu. Its very frustrating. I dont want to quit this fun game. I dont want to make new room to play in long farming runs.

Gosh i love this game but please give us a simple and not so archaic method to reset spawn of mobs.

Idea: Just add to a party leader into Esc menu button “Restart” or “Rejoin” or “Respawn” whatever. Pressing the button will teleport u to the nearest town and reset mobs. Its the same thing that quitting does but we dont need to quit to main menu, and even see the button “Quit Game”. We dont need to break a party and join again. We just want to play the game continuously.

Update: You can make an NPC that can let our character “forget things” he done or to make us “travel in time”. And then fade out, fade in and all mobs respawned, we can continue. It can be an NPC, it can be a button, but please… Exiting game, ruining party just to respawn mobs… No, god no.

With best regards!

A brave warror of Cairn, Bulldor

1 Like

I know its something that we all got used to. But please take a moment just to think about it. This “exiting and starting new session” thing is like using rotary dial phone in 2018 cause its cute and we all got used to it.

1 Like

The idea’s not bad but when I consider the number of things this is likely to require changes to it starts to sound like a really expensive suggestion for such modest gains. I could be wrong - it might be easier to implement than I’m thinking - but I can also imagine it causing lots of problems.

I honestly wish the endgame was a bit better. Maybe a map system like path of exile where you enter a random map. That way there would be no need for exiting to main menu because maps would always spawn mobs when you enter them.

I know it’d be copying their system but i feel they really nailed it. It is definitely much better than just spamming the same map over and over.

People will just say “well do other maps too!” but that’s not what people will do, a lot of us play games efficiently and that sometimes means game will be less fun than it can be. It’s up to the devs to make the most efficient playstyle the most fun one i think. That’s because only a small subset of players will gimp themselves to play the game in a more fun way.

Hopefully as more expansions come out there will be more emphasis on endgame gameplay. By endgame i mean after all story maps are completed and character reaches max level and you want to farm best gear.

1 Like

A pointlessly complicated change for something you can do by quiting and starting a new game. You just press two buttons and that’s it.

Oh, boy. Here we go again.

Enviado desde mi 6039A mediante Tapatalk

They do it so people ask this very question. It’s their favorite question! :slight_smile:

That, or it’s because GD uses a heavily modified Titan Quest engine, which is fairly old and perhaps doesn’t have that capability.

It’s not a random decision.

Maybe that is why the devs do not want to implement respawn. See On “Farming” for an early discussion on the topic.

This sounds ideal.

Without having any numbers I daresay that the small subset of players is the one, who plays the game efficiently. They are probably just the more prominent players.

Honestly im pretty sure that this feature can be added easily. The game like many other arpgs have a respawn system. I can guess that this system doesnt populate areas, it just creates a new world, new instance with the same alive enemies. Ofc it wasnt random decision to do that exiting-logging in thing. They did it in TQ cause it was a trend for arpg. Blizzard did it in a diablo 1, 2, and 3 so why not? Now after so many years i can tell why not. Linking this respawn system to just one button - in the menu or in the npc dialogue whatever will be faster and easier thing to let players have fun farming. It’ll do the same thing as we all do but on a background, replacing whole process of useless quitting.

This new process require from character to be in a stationary position in a hub, like in a town to prevent using thing system badly. Or it can teleport u to nearest town (this is what logging out does already) aaand respawn. Seems like easy and the main thing is - its not like the blizzard does. Its definitely an improvement, but developers have the last word in this case - we are looking back, or we are going forward?

You aren’t the first person to ask this question, I think it’s safe to say if it’s not the “shattering” game mode in the next expansion, you will most likely never see this feature in Grim Dawn.

Yeah i guess you`re right. Its just a small quality of life improvement so its never going to happen, sadly(

It would be difficult to implement something like PoE’s map system to Grim Dawn but the possibility of a “randomized” dungeon could work in theory.

What we already have are randomized blockades, riftgates, and entrances.

Using such features you could make a series of small dungeon areas and create multiple branching paths with said blockades/riftgates/entrances which would in theory make every run a bit different.

Rather then acquiring maps perhaps you have access to something like the bounty system where you can optionally add more spawns/unique bosses and so on. I’m not sure if you could have some sort of token that drops while playing the game and if you could use said token to temporarily boost your reputation for accessing that bounty board.

Why do you say this?

I find it amusing when people say it’s easy to do ‘x’ when they have no insight into the code base.

Cause its already in the game hiding behind buttons Quit and Start. Replacing it with 1 button “Restart” not so big deal, huh? I dont mind if it`ll look like im logging out, turning my screen black, loading levels again, refreshing them with mobs and all that stuff. Lets say this “Restart” button is the auto-quit and auto-start macro with the same character and the same party through loading screen. But going into menu is not an immersion. Its a garbage in my opinion. Oooooold garbage.

I remember the day when my wife quitted playing the TQ cooperatively. i said “Honey, this loot was not so good and we need to kill this boss again. So we need to quit to menu, start another game, join me and we`ll do it again”. She said " why do we need to do all this stuff just to kill this guy?". I said “I dunno. It works like this in many games”. She said “Ok, but its not fun”. After a few tries she left the game and now i think she hates it))))) Its not fun, now i agree. Thank god i dont need to go to menu in other games just to continue playing it. I dont think that MENU is need to be a part of farming process, thats it.

Speaking of the code base, do you know in what language this awesome Grim Dawn’s made?

I’m sure Bulldor can tell you. They are the expert on the code base. :slight_smile:

My educated guess is C/C++, and C#. They use LUA for scripting.

Thanks for the nice info :wink:
My favorite language for created my favorite game !

Another ARPG I’ve played (The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing) actually had the option of whether you wanted monsters to respawn upon restarting.

id rather not have a bounty board system…

I think I saw a line in the files that said something about giving enemies a chance to respawn… I’m in bed now so I can’t check, but my gut is telling me that I’m not delusional.