🌐 Nery's beginner builds collection

Introduction

This is my collection of builds for beginners. These guides are different than end game, because they contain much more information, leveling guide and gear is easier to get.

So no random purple gear and fantasy greens. Farmable set like Dark One or Krieg, faction gear, yellow affixes monster infrequents, with sprinkle of blues.

Beginner Builds

1. :faction_dreeg: [1.1.2.5] [caster] Beginner's/budget acid Sentinel

First we will start with The Sentinel. It’s acid build with option as caster with off hand or tanky build with Shield. It has some leveling guide and budget build with Dark One set and Biting Blades from Seal of Shadows component

• Status: As first build in this list, it’s pretty outdated. I hardly suggest using it (some pointers might still be helpful ofc). TqFan have newer guide about Acid Sentinel using Dreeg Evil Eye skill.
  1. :cloud_with_lightning: [1.1.2.5-1.1.9.1] Beginner's Lightning Vindicator caster

Next is my Vindicator guide. Two versions-Storm Totem caster or Thunderous Strike Vindicator. It has leveling tips and ok budget items.

• Status: Everything about Storm Totems version is updated for 1.1.9.1 patch, including budget build, leveling guide and guide itself of course. In 1.1.9.3 patch, changes of Wind Devil behavior (should be helpful a bit) reduction of physical resistance in off-hand suffixes, potential minor nerf for this build, everything else is intact. Pretty good build for leveling.
  1. :gun: [1.1.2.3-1.1.9.3*] Beginner's/budget dual pistols pierce Tactician

Next is my double pistol Tactician. It uses Stupid Dragon’s old build as leveling guide. It has budget build focused around Pistols with faction recipe.

• Status: Budget build and topic were both updated for 1.1.9.3 patch. Leveling guide is pretty old. For end game there’s new set - Goredrinker, so not a bad build idea.
  1. :faction_solael: [1.1.1.2-1.1.6.2] Beginner's vitality Ravenous Earth Oppressor with leveling guide

My Oppressor guide is my most popular beginners one, also is thorough. It’s based around Malawiglenn’s ideas. It has leveling guide with videos from different levels, also super cheap end game working setup. Cabalist version was added later.

• Status: Budget build was updated once, since original guide was posted. Vitality Oppressor pre-Dark One set have now more options and end game setup with Blightlord set is still pretty good. Leveling guide might not be optimal for 1.1.9.3 patch but guide is still useful and leveling with Ravenous Earth skill is still easy.
  1. :damage_cold: [1.1.3.0] Beginners/budget DW cold melee Trickster

My latest guide. Is cold Trickster. Leveling guide with faction end game version by TomoDak. Also semi budget very fast and with high damage version by me. End game is with similar ideas and style as leveling and faction gear versions.

• Status: Trickster lost it’s DW cold melee crown long time ago for end game builds and also tend to be glassy. Budget build was pretty decent for it’s time but it’s slightly outdated. Use with caution for 1.1.9.3 if you want Trickster.
  1. :damage_cold: [1.1.2.5] DW cold Infiltrator for beginners-build diary - #22 by Nery

This is link to build diary from my DW melee Infiltrator. It has tips and also link to my updated semi budget end game Infiltrator, which is pretty viable, even in Gladiator Crucible.

• Status: Some of the tips can be helpful in 1.1.9.3 patch but lot of things changed since build was posted. Use with caution in 1.1.9x patches.
  1. :rainbow: [1.1.3.0] Beginner's/budget Mage Hunter

My PRM Mage Hunter guide. Caster with lots of crit bonus doing elemental damage. Added on 2nd of July 2019.

• Status: Pretty old guide, also my leveling wasn’t optimal at the time. I would suggest for this class Lightning AAR, multiple good budget items for this class. For early levels Pain is good clearer.
  1. :damage_lightning: :gun: [1.1.3.1] Budget Lightning DW Ranged Purifier

My FG update of classical DW lightning pistols Purifier by x1x1x1x2. Added to the list on the 16 of July 2019.

• Status: Old guide, leveling guide is even older. I can’t recommend it, unless I redo both the leveling part and budget build.
  1. :ice_cube: [1.1.3.1] Budget cold DW melee Blademaster DW cold melee, this time a Blademaster. It uses Cadence as main attack+Nightblade WPS skills. Build is budget for end gama transition. Added here on 17 th of July 2019.
  • Status: Pretty old guide, some of the points should be still true. Use this if you want cold Blademaster. Or use Stupid Dragon’s guide if you want pierce damage.
  1. :damage_chaos: :damage_aether: [1.1.4.0] Budget AAR Mage Hunter Aether and Chaos budget versions of AAR Mage Hunter. Added on 31st of July 2019.
    • Status: For aether there’s new Spellbinder guide and for chaos Warlock is perhaps better than Mage Hunter. Move along stranger.
  1. :fire: :tornado: [1.1.4.2-1.1.8.1] Shieldbreaker from A to Z, including end game, budget build+leveling guide

This is guide for fire spinner builds. It’s start to shine when you can equip dual melee weapons, can work as 2H build as well. Early leveling with Stun Jacks. Not the strongest build I would say, compared to classical Shieldbreaker.

• Status: Leveling guide was updated by Ulvar, so it’s still good for 1.1.9.3 patch. End game version is pretty old, might update it in future.
  1. :faction_solael: [1.1.6.2] Beginner's vitality caster Conjurer guide, how to build monster build from the scratch! Suitable for first character

Perhaps my strongest one. Very straightforward, leveled the same way as played end game.

• Few minor changes and nerfs since guide was posted but nothing major. This guide is still really good and doesn’t require any major changes (except for Bonespike weapon might be better than Boneblade) to steamroll. Recommended for 1.1.9.3 patch.
  1. :muscle: [1.1.7.1] Beginner's Physical Two-Hand melee Blade Arc Witchblade, suitable for first character

New guide for 1.1.7.1, nice leveling build, easy to gear budget version and monster end game build. Blade Arc also is suitable for 2H melee style of play.

• Status: Budget weapon focus is now shifted to Death Knight class but end game purple is still for Witchblade. With changes to physical damage mechanics, this damage offers way more viable builds but if you like Blade Arc skill, this guide is recommended for 1.1.9.3 patch.
  1. :ice_cube: :crossed_swords: [1.1.8.1] Beginner's Cold Dual Wield Melee Saboteur - the journey!

Again Cold DW melee build, this time a Saboteur. Not the best possible class but DW Sabo can be fun build none the less.

• Status: Funny enough with cold melee builds being not in a best position end game, Saboteur class is trying to take the crown for best cold DW class. Guide should be viable for 1.1.9.3 and unless some of the items will be severely nerfed, for next patches as well.
  1. :faction_aetherial: :muscle: [1.1.8.1] Beginner’s 2H melee Lucius Battlemage - Grim Dawn / Classes, Skills and Builds - Crate Entertainment Forum

One of the weakest classes in the game but with dedicated build, which makes is pretty decent. Farmable Krieg set and Lucius boss weapon.

• Status: Since build was posted, Lucius weapon was nerfed but nothing major, guide/build are viable.
  1. :damage_aether: [1.1.9.3] Beginner’s Albrecht’s Aether Ray Spellbinder - Grim Dawn / Classes, Skills and Builds - Crate Entertainment Forum

Build focused around AAR skill and Pulsing shard green off-hand. Spellbinder class also is really good, so this guide is excellent stepping stone to end game monster builds.

• Status: Since this build is from 1.1.9.3 patch, should be decent for at least few more patches (when/if have them).

Sketches

• note, some of them all little outdated.
  1. Desolator Purifier 2H ranged, fire damage:
    Purifier, Level 100 (GD 1.1.6.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

2. Canister Bombs Sorc, fire damage, green items are without affixes:
    Sorcerer, Level 100 (GD 1.1.6.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

3. Bleeding 2H melee Warder using Savagery/Blade Arc combo:
    Warder, Level 100 (GD 1.1.7.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

4. Vitality Phantasmal Blades Witch Hunter:
    Witch Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.7.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

5. Physical 2H Forcewave spam Warlord:
    Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.1.7.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

6. Lightning Thunderous Strike 2H Vindicator:
    Vindicator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.7.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

7. Fire Flames of Ignaffar Purifier:
    Purifier, Level 100 (GD 1.1.8.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

8. Righteous Fervor physical dual pistols Paladin:
    Paladin, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

9. Physical S&B Cadence Warlord(real monster):
    Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Q&A

Q: Which guide you recommend?
A: If I start the game I would go with my vitality Conjurer, easy for leveling, abundance of cheap gear and straightforward enough.

Q: Which of other players guides you would play as beginner?
A: Stupid_Dragon’s guides are well made and thorough. I like in particular the Dervish one. And if you like pets, Maya’s written the Bible for that style of play :slightly_smiling_face:

Q: Are your guides up to date?
A: Some of them needs updating, the older the patch version is, the more likely they require some changes to function better.

Q: Are you planning to update your guides?
A: Yes. I would eventually update most of my budget builds. Leveling progress though will require more time re-leveling same builds, that’s unlikely to happen.

Q: Why beginners builds are different than end game?
A: You are limited of using sub-optimal gear. So you need more effort of covering your stats, adding more defense from devotions, etc.

Q: Are all end game builds possible to level same way?
A: Most players prefers to level their end game build with same skill/damage type. But sometimes is impossible. Rule of thumb, if end game build contains conduit mod or relies on legendary piece of gear for conversion, it’s not suited for leveling or guide in that matter.

Other guides

• Link to the beginners compendium featuring builds from multiple authors. It’s better to use newer builds but also you can ask the OP if build is still viable for current patch.

Beginner build guides Compendium (for AoM + FG expansions) - Grim Dawn / Classes, Skills and Builds - Crate Entertainment Forum

21 Likes

You stole my :crossed_swords: in the title thread :sweat_smile:

I added this collection to my collection. Now Dragon needs to do collection thread then the circle is closed

I used the swords for cross reference on purpose!

Stupid Dragon needs to be in that network. :+1:

We cross our swords, we cross our links. All for the sake of the beginner build crusade!

up to now I have used the swords to see if Iget replies in my collection :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I need that Stupid :dragon:'s collection for my collection too…

Thanks for adding my skater to the links! I’ll do some more SR runs with my G2 setup this evening and will update the main post to make it more suitable as a semi budget build.

NP.

I hope to see more builds from you in the future,cause your guide is very interesting to read!

Do you think I should re-post the CT spellbinder guide btw? Since you have this beautiful Krieg version of it?

If you have time,why not? I love the Krieg binder and yours with item from Hyram and faction gear is excellent stepping stone.Plus I personally don’t know how to level Spellbinder :sweat:

I can give it a try, I got kinda burned out from that build with all the freaking nerfs! I felt same way with cold rune caster but managaed to put it back up again.

I need to do some video guides for my builds soon, Do you want me to do some for yours aswell? like 20 min videos summarixing the build guide basically and show some gameplay

Someone doing the work for me?Yes please.Plus your video channel is popular and will have broader audience.

Same apply for you,if you’re interested in Crucible tests for some build,you can send me your build and I can test it.

Hi im using : [1.0.4.0] Beginner's melee 2H Lightning Elementalist by stupid dragon on HC. i would like to ask You guys could You look into it and tell me would be there anything major to change in skills/devotion or what sort of end game stuff i could look up for this build since there were all those dlc’s and patches that maybe changed something major and im to noob yet to figure it out :frowning: also its HC mode so would there be a better devotion route to not die or it’s fine ?

Hi,Cubix Stupid Dragon said,that he received multiple requests about updating his build.His idea was to create similar Conjurer,but Idk.Personally have not played with this build.

But definitely guide needs update.There are lots of new faction and monster infrequent items,since the build was posted.For example lightning 2h weapon can be Korvan Storm Halbred,which is excellent for Primal Strike build.

Also if you wan fire 2h Elementalist,check Blazerush.You need to craft it,but recipe is faction bought.

1 Like

For devotion route, you can check out my route for Warder

Then someone will make a collection of collections thread :eyes:

Post in the post,collection in the collection,Spiegel im Spiegel,etc.

:scream: :scream: :scream:

Nery: what are the pros and cons with DW melee trickster vs. infiltrator from a beginner perspective?

As I see it, infiltrator has the option to also go down the pierce damage route whereas trickster can go with bleed.

In my leveling,actually underestimated the power of Savagery early on.It’s still very strong even in normal difficulty,while in Infiltrator you need to wait to level 55 to get Beronath fury from component.Even without conversion Savagery is pretty strong.

Infiltrator is less stressful against burst damage,especially in higher difficulties,because of seal and damage reduction,basically better defensively.

As pierce route,I like Belgo Infiltrator,but if you don’t have it or full Assassins set,it’s tougher to make.Bleeding Trickster also is gear dependent,I think.

yeah, probably not something you can do well with faction gaer / epics