New forums extremely difficult to work with?

Hi, anything I google which links to these forums just comes up with the front page basically, and the link in the URL bar becomes the generic one instead of the one I clicked. Also Ctrl+F on the page brings up the forum search, not page text search, but at least that one’s easily worked around. Has anyone had these kind of frustrating experiences with the new forum?

Nevermind, got my answer here:

Basically none of the old links work, you have to manually find the threads yourself here (if exists). Incredibly frustrating

Frustrating, but hopefully safer. The old forum no longer exists so impossible to link to and those links could give hackers an easy path into this forum. So which would you prefer? Having to do a search for something here which is quite easy to do or continue to suffer the hacking attacks we had recently on the old forum?

Hold Ctrl and tap F twice to get the browser find if that happens. Guess they need to reconfigure it. Not sure why it’s conflicting tho because the forum search is supposed to be Ctl + Alt + F.

Also, you are going to find the Browser Find severely limited on large threads. Just because the new forum uses infinite scroll doesn’t mean that everything loads in one shot. Browser find will NOT see elements of threads that have not loaded yet. With large threads that means the vast majority of the thread will not be visible to browser find.

The only way I can think that you could mitigate this is perhaps with one of those auto-loader browser extensions that exist. Maybe there is a way to tweak one of those to auto-load large Discourse forum threads?

If you want to search a thread the forum search works very well.

It is pretty easy since this new forum have an amazing search function

Thanks for the reply, good tips and notes, appreciated

1 Like

I am working on a guide here:

that I decided to make because so many people seemed to either A) not like the Discourse format, or B) were just having troubles adapting and figuring out the quirks of a new system.

Do note that is quite a bit incomplete at the moment (and I do admit to some slacking off) but feel free to see what there is and comment on anything you’d like to see in it etc.

Basically, using the Forum Search, navigating threads, editing posts and so on are topics I intend to cover in it eventually.

1 Like