New Player Looking For Class Advice

Hello all, I hope this is the right forum to ask this in. So I am an ARPG casual but have been playing them for a long time and have been interested in this one for a while and picked it up on the steam sale. I see there is a build compendium but I was wondering there was like outliers for ideal beginner builds to go through the game with before exploring the other builds?

Thanks.

Welcome to the game and to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

What did you get of the game - just the base or the expansions as well?

I got the expansions as well and thanks :grinning:

You can search “beginner” to find beginner builds. The game is pretty well balanced however, and practically all skills/builds can complete the main campaign. It is mostly Elite and Ultimate where poor choice of skill points, devotions and gear can cause a significant struggle.

There are a select few builds which are very strong for beginners, they would speed up your progress, but I think it is best to make a build choice on what you think you’d enjoy the most.

1 Like

Then have a look at the Builds for Beginners section here

Yes, better do as @idontwannaknow0 says because there’s a higher probability of getting bored if you play simply the most op build instead of making up stuff on your own.

Unless you’re playing on Hardcore, the base game to level 100 over the three difficulties is relatively easy and you should be able to do it fine without following anyone else’s build. There are some tricky parts, but you should be able to overcome them on your own and maybe with the help of the Grim Dawn gamepedia. You can also respec at any time and it’s pretty affordable, so even if you get your build wrong, you can just double back on it when you feel like you’re running a wall with it.

All masteries have competitive builds for them and none is really super weak. I would suppose that Soldier is among the most straight-forward masteries for a new player. But really just pick anything you think you’d like to play. :slight_smile:

The beginner builds linked above are pretty nice, though personally from the get-go I kinda preferred builds with more active gameplay so to speak. But really it’s fully up to you what you want to play.