On "Farming"

This made a lot of sense, you write very well.

None of of has seen the “end game” (if there is such a thing in GD) yet, since the game is not quite complete.

There is already farming for a purpose in GD.
At least if you are crafting high tier relics without duping. :stuck_out_tongue:
Build me a Nemesis relic today. Needed five manticore eyes.* F I V E !!! And had to build several other relics. Still, it was fun, and totally worth it. [I like to farm.]

*) Only had to farm one though, lucky me.

Farming in this game does get a bit monotonous. There is no need to farm different areas really unless you are looking for certain components. You can farm any one of SoT, BoC, the Warden, and the Flooded Passages over and over again. I would like something like the longer you play in a session the better the drops get since now all farming consist of is run through dungeon killing bosses, return to main menu to reset dungeon, then run through the dungeon again.

Working on speed runs of BoC has kept me farming but only just.

I wish there was a hard, rewarding, easy to get to (this is crucial) fight in the game but there is nothing close.

Sure that would be nice BUT people will try to abuse it by just going afk in a game and starting the farm hours later, kinda dumb… instead you can have the same result without the cons, by making monster kills/assist in a single game improve your chances of looting.

I want my “+2 to storm totem” back on my stormcage legguards

How about… an Ultimate only dungeon with a couple bosses arrayed around a hub. Minimal trash, hard fights, and great loot.

Farming is pretty lame.

At lv 65+ the component drop table should be updated to account for levels.

To take a page from most other arpg’s, at lv 75+ unique rift gates to one-shot dungeons should be openable from an item you can craft with one each of a.h, c.b., and t.b.m., and a.shards or cthonic bindings. Like. I enjoy the game and don’t need this yet, but at some point down the line, this would be something I’d feel like I needed. Super hard dungeons I can run with my friends for mat & rare items.

This existed in TQ:IT as the secret passage (although was available in all difficulties albeit with modified drop tables). Hard to think that devs won’t implement something similar

Good thing is that we do not have to worry about any kind of “”"“ECONOMY”""" - god i hate when devs have to balance around something like that. Just kills the fun for a casual like me.

I don’t think there’s a really good way around grinding/farming/whatever you may call it. You have to make it at least somewhat hard to get the cool stuff, otherwise it’s not rewarding and therefore not fun. Just like free time isn’t really pleasuring when you’re not working/have not worked for it.

I wouldn’t put too much thought into this matter. Just make the “work” as exciting as possible, fancy action packed fights against challenging enemies. Grim Dawn already excels at that, but just because you’re the best doesn’t mean you can’t get better, right :sunglasses:

At lv 65+ the component drop table should be updated to account for levels.

Because later you need components for crafting like spiny … spines, ectoplasm, and others. or maybe a lor section with clearer notes about where mats are likely to drop for those of us who get overwhelemed by thedata

One interesting thing ive noticed is the spells of the devotions (stellar things) upgrade.
I found that awesome and went out of my characters comfort zone just to get an extra activation in to get that little bit more xp. (i dont evne know of this is how they work lol)

How about weapons that work like that?
Rewards for a series of bosses killed that can combine into weapons that can then be leveled.

This gives people weapons that may be subpar initially (challenge for max level peoples because the weapons start lower spec than theyre used to.) but can be eventually either upgraded with use like the spells, AND/OR once at certain levels can then be added with different relics (already established mechanics) to then unlock different paths for the weapon OR create sets via linked relics that provide set bonus.

eg: im levle 85, im now looking for gear. I have a legendary thats awesome but i now find a ring/amulet/sword/shield whatever. Using it gains xp as it levels (further xp gain from farming gives a goal so its not just loot based) and gives me a goal to keep going with the game.
Aweosme it hits level 10, i can add a lightning or flame or bleeding damge, something to personalise it for my characters damage build.

Now, looking at its next upgrade point, level 20 i can make it hold a special rune that can be crafted, is rewarded for a special dungeon run or something that makes a personalised set possible. Now suddenly i have teh possibilty of finding more gear that i can then upgrade with xp (use) and add these runes (which themselves may be need special things etc) to create a personalised set.

These runes or whatever that makes these items into personalised sets, may require being equipped for a while till they absorb the damage you do (they gain the damage output you use via the fact they take a slot currently used for something (creates a vulnerability such as medal or amulet slot with blank item that slowly upgrades with you fighting/farming)

I like the idea of having goals for farming outside of the need to find a specific thing to progress. I dislike even more, having completed all teh ‘quest’ goals yet having the ability to run around and do stuff… but for what purpose?
FK that, your farming for gear to really personalise your character. 100 runs of BoC? that could fully upgrade one of these personlized relics that could be attached to 1 item of a 3-5 or even 7 item set. Choice is up to you: helm, hands, feet / ring, ring, amulet, shield / admin limit to stop overpower.

This can even be expanded (limit wise) for new ares with higher difficulties or even extra harder reruns of the campaign.

Sorry for my rambling, but im very drunk atm, but with teh upgradability of spells, and the large amount of customisation of gear, why not combine them into a) xp upgradable weapons, THEN combine those into upgradable personalised sets.

I see the map has a few aresa like the city to the north that arnt used, why not have these areas, require criteria such as 1 godly relic of max level. This place then is like a stargate room (for lack of a better term) (departure lounge?>) that takes you to other places to run for xp for your relics which once you have your full set unlock a further area…

rambling words i know but i hope they make sense to someone, because the game as it is now could turn out to be the first 1/3 of how high this mechanic could take it.

gl hf.

One interesting thing ive noticed is the spells of the devotions (stellar things) upgrade.
I found that awesome and went out of my characters comfort zone just to get an extra activation in to get that little bit more xp. (i dont evne know of this is how they work lol)

How about weapons that work like that?
Rewards for a series of bosses killed that can combine into weapons that can then be leveled.

This gives people weapons that may be subpar initially (challenge for max level peoples because the weapons start lower spec than theyre used to.) but can be eventually either upgraded with use like the spells, AND/OR once at certain levels can then be added with different relics (already established mechanics) to then unlock different paths for the weapon OR create sets via linked relics that provide set bonus.

eg: im levle 85, im now looking for gear. I have a legendary thats awesome but i now find a ring/amulet/sword/shield whatever. Using it gains xp as it levels (further xp gain from farming gives a goal so its not just loot based) and gives me a goal to keep going with the game.
Aweosme it hits level 10, i can add a lightning or flame or bleeding damge, something to personalise it for my characters damage build.

Now, looking at its next upgrade point, level 20 i can make it hold a special rune that can be crafted, is rewarded for a special dungeon run or something that makes a personalised set possible. Now suddenly i have teh possibilty of finding more gear that i can then upgrade with xp (use) and add these runes (which themselves may be need special things etc) to create a personalised set.

These runes or whatever that makes these items into personalised sets, may require being equipped for a while till they absorb the damage you do (they gain the damage output you use via the fact they take a slot currently used for something (creates a vulnerability such as medal or amulet slot with blank item that slowly upgrades with you fighting/farming)

I like the idea of having goals for farming outside of the need to find a specific thing to progress. I dislike even more, having completed all teh ‘quest’ goals yet having the ability to run around and do stuff… but for what purpose?
FK that, your farming for gear to really personalise your character. 100 runs of BoC? that could fully upgrade one of these personlized relics that could be attached to 1 item of a 3-5 or even 7 item set. Choice is up to you: helm, hands, feet / ring, ring, amulet, shield / admin limit to stop overpower.

This can even be expanded (limit wise) for new ares with higher difficulties or even extra harder reruns of the campaign.

Sorry for my rambling, but im very drunk atm, but with teh upgradability of spells, and the large amount of customisation of gear, why not combine them into a) xp upgradable weapons, THEN combine those into upgradable personalised sets.

I see the map has a few aresa like the city to the north that arnt used, why not have these areas, require criteria such as 1 godly relic of max level. This place then is like a stargate room (for lack of a better term) (departure lounge?>) that takes you to other places to run for xp for your relics which once you have your full set unlock a further area…

rambling words i know but i hope they make sense to someone, because the game as it is now could turn out to be the first 1/3 of how high this mechanic could take it.

gl hf.

Godly items that are BLANK in of themselves except with base stats.

Epic/legendary/godly components that can be upgraded as per normal components but only added at certain GODLY item levels.

Godly relics that can be upgraded to levels that end up becoming personalised set relics that can imbune blanks with char specific attributes.

Blanks and relics need to be added to their normal slot to upgrade thereby providing challenges for high level characters (make them max level equipable only), they start low and can get better as time goes on.

As these items are lvl’d, they get your characters attributes (obviously)
once they reach a certain level, they can then hold Godly Set Runes.

eg: level 5, 10, 15, 20 can have a epic/leg/godly component, level 20 they can have personlised set rune (either leave it as that for a personlised set or require level 30 or higher to ‘link’ to other personlised runes)
Have an area that needs the 1st initial relic (first one that anyone gets) that at certain level, acesses an area that can then be done for ‘farming runs’.
Once that upgrades then you move onto the next area etc

2nd drunk thoughts.

edit Sense

Well, after playing countless hours of arpg, here are my 2c about farming:

Farming is not boring by itself. The main problems comes when your efforts aren’t rewarded because of too much rng, when the runs are repetitve and when you can’t help but overlevel when farming.

In order to make farming fun, you have to manage 3 elements:

• Diversity
  • Reward
  • Punishment

Diversity: When you make only some spots worth farming, you kill diversity. Even worse, if I want X lv item my farming spots will be limited.

Solution: Randomly generated dungeon, with many levels(or infinite) full of labirynths, traps, secret doors, etc. Key would be required to open it, getting that key will take some time.

Reward: Ok, player likes good items, player likes rng, but not too much of it.
Something is staying in the way: repeated items. It’s really frustrating when you want that extra piece of set and you keep dropping the same chest piece or boots you already have.

Solution: In this dungeon, ANY item up to the player’s level will drop, and while you are there, any epic/legendary will not be dropped twice. Chests in boss rooms(yes the dungeon should have it own unique bosses) inside said dungeon WILL drop at least 1 epic.

Punishment: Here is the good part. A dungeon full of nice loot has to come with a decent pay off, right?

Solution: The items obtained by the player in this dungeon should go to a “secondary” inventory, and can only be used after the player decides to leave the dungeon. He will have to decide wich ones he will bring with him, because this inventory will be shorter, like one of his bags.

The dungeon’s curse will prevent the player from gaining any XP.

The further the player goes, the thougher enemies will get, and loot will be of higher lvl, traps will be stronger to the point of one shotting a 50% fire res char(fire trap).

If the player dies, he will lose all items found in this dungeon and will have to get a new key.

Call me exaggerated, but the only way I see farming being fun is to make it like if you are in a vast treasure room filled with traps and explosives between you and the all the valuables. It needs to be an all-or-nothing game
that you feel special and excited when you get the luck to play.

The problem with arpg’s is that they are too afraid of trying to innovate on the anemic and “classic” formula of farming.

*I’m disregarding shared stashes because I don’t like giving a full set to a character that I didn’t have to risk his ass to get it.

Thank you for reading through this wot :smiley:

I find farming in the game to be the same age old Diablo problem. I find an item of a set and think what a cool set, but I never see another piece drop and out level any usefulness it could have had.
The second is the mindless grinding only to get items drops for other classes.

The random item dealer Diablo had helped deal with this, because then you could at least go look I want a sword and maybe it would be a rare sword I’m wanting, instead of getting a wand or such.
I’ve always enjoyed major items being more craftable items. That way I’ve access all I need to do is put in the major effort to get the materials and then I get my reward. Right now this is more like putting in effort waiting to win the lottery.

I think the base idea is simple;

More labor = More and better loot

Smart labor = efficient = better loot than normal run.

Both smart and more labor = Best loot.

Important factor here is, what defines smart labor?

First of all developers always should reward(small or big) labor no matter whether it is smart. Secondly since spending time on area or boss equals more labor then it should be rewarded more than any less laborers. Thirdly area specific items were always good idea and will always be. Because it gives direction and purpose to players whom %90 of need. There are also some stuff that can’t be or shouldnt be changed such as yeti fur dropping from yeti. Of course it should drop from yeti. There is no arguing on it. So specific boss items should drop from respected boss and we players have freedom to farm it as much as we want and also we deserve reward in such case.

So;

-Higher difficulty equals higher labor? Then it should reward better loot.
-So some items are harder to get? Then while farming these items, game must reward the player with another items because player is losing time when it comes to missing other farms
-If some bosses are rare encounters and its beating difficulty is closer to act bosses, then they should reward more than act bosses.

In this our biological life, the currency of universe is time. So time is the most valuable thing in entire universe so thus if a player is spending time, it should be rewarded. But if he is wasting time? Developers must answer this question. What is smart farm and fun farm? For me smart farm is, while i am focusing on some aspect of the game or loot, i also improve other aspects of the game or my skills. Two birds with one stone thing. Or more efficient and better builds can be considered also as smart farm.

Other thing is, while improving and changing “farming” in the game, “fun” part must not be forgotten. If you find a way to make farming more fun with direction and purpose then it is it. You are set for life and it becomes the best game.

I play this game for almost an hour 1K, I like it, it’s amazing, you have created the finest RPG element at all in a game and in a small number of people !! Incredibly!!! But one thing I do not understand, and this is the last patch 1.0.0.2 - why facilitates farming, drops and other things less costly to craft and others, the game is amazing in that it is difficult, do not destroy CASUAL !!! You want it to turn out of that game will play only children who get tired or way or another? The game is built on HC playing, work hard, ranching, unrelenting boss and nemesis !!! Why is heading into the game Casual ??? Just so that more people have played and purses grew ?? We want to play hard, leave it as it was and still add the difficulty! Recently came out patch D2, do the hard games, even harder and in a new outfit, you do not need to subside, you need a game, such as you had at the beginning, heavy and heavier, and nobody does lighter, that’s what’s GrimDawn concept - tough game from start to finish!

Oh man, I can smell the elitism from Antarctica. How far up your ass you have to be to say stuff like this?

I don’t even think I need to say why Grim Dawn is both hardcore and casual at the same time, it has been said already a few times.

If you want a real “hardcore” experience, Path of Exile is here to satisfy your hunger. But you’ll probably complain it’s too casual because trading is a major part of the game so eh, make your own mod for GD.

Hahahaha.

GD is probably one of the more casual games I’ve seen repeatedly referred to as hardcore… being single player already writes it off as hardcore for most of the crazy hyper-competitive gamer population. Can’t we just say that it’s a challenging game and leave it at that?

Yeah I like it.

I never had the chance to do so, so I need to say this: Nice profile pic mr. Fuckyourint.

You want the HardCore experience, go play EverQuest.