Oppressor: Rifle + Pet Build? Anyone try that yet?

Just curious if anyone tried that yet. If so, did it work? How long?

I have a Level 35 and a Level 50 Rifle that grants +2 to all Necromancer Skills. I want to put them to work instead of collecting dust in my stash. The Level 50 Rifle has a +4 to Celestial Presence, thus the Oppressor combo.

For the Necromancer pets, keep The Fiend and the The Spirit? Or invest in just one of them? How about The Skeletons? Any good?

I guess not. Doesn’t really sound like that much fun imo. Oh well. I just wanted to find a use for those guns. I tried to look up a build online, didn’t find anything. But I did find a decent Vindicator build.

Since I already have a Fire Damage Rifle Commando, I am curious about the Lightning Damage version with the Shaman/Inquisitor combo. I just started it this morning. Can’t wait till I can start using all the cool lightning abilities.

Any thoughts or suggestions about the Lightning Damage Rifle Vindicator?

Oppressor can work for pets, see Maya’s build here with Plaguebearer of Dreeg weapon: The Rawr Fiend - Pet Oppressor

Regarding Vindicator, it is great for Primal Strike.

2 Likes

Tarazet: Nice build. That name, gotta love that rawr. Was hoping it would have been with a rifle tho, but I guess that’s not ideal at cap level. I still want to test out the Oppressor with a rifle tho. The level 50 gun should take me to level 60 at least. That should be far enough to see if it’s viable or just for fun. I am guessing it would be more of a fun build that you would play every once in a while when you get bored of mob blasting.

Vindicator? I swapped out Savagery for Primal Strike and it works like a charm vs. monster packs. However, it’s a bit weak so far vs. heroes and bosses. Tho I am sure that will be different at cap level with max gear and enchants.

1 Like

Vitality rifle will get you by for an Oppressor with Righteous Fervor (transmuted to vit), Bone Harvest and the Necromancer weapon pool skills, but that won’t be a real pet build, it’s an auto attacker with a nice mobility skill, fake Guardian pets and some nice healing spells from the Necro tree.

For Vindicator I like Savagery + cooldown Primal Strike, but they are both point hungry so it’s hard to support that playstyle early on. The last time I played a Vindicator I did Savagery with heavier points in the second and third nodes and a point in each node of Storm Box for crowd control. And Wind Devils, of course.

1 Like

Tbh, you can do it with a rifle if you want :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2j5QyjN

2 Likes

Tarazet: Yeah. I was thinking along the line of a WoW Hunter with a pet, or pets in this game, and blasting away with a gun using a nice primary attack. BM FTW baby. RAWR! I didn’t know what damage type, or playstyle, to use. I would go by what the guns have and what the Necromancer had to offer, then go from there. Vitality would be nice, haven’t tried that damage type. Then again I haven’t played a pet or caster build yet.

I thought about that in the beginning when I was playing my Vindicator. Pump up Savagery and then one shot mobs, but I figure I could do that early on with just Primal Strike. Later on? Cap level? I can see using Primal Strike as the right click spell. It will cut down on the constant flash animation across the screen and it shouldn’t be too energy hungry. Primary? Oh wow, it eats through my energy bar real fast. Especially with a sustained battle/constant stream of monsters.

Of course utilizing Storm Box to slow mobs. But right now, I am killing the mobs too fast for Storm Box to be useful. However, later one when I can’t one shot trash, it will be a nice tool indeed. I would place that on my number 1 key on the numeric bar. Target the middle mob and try to peel that onion before the overrun me and span me back in camp.

Maya: I am going to look at that link right now. Edit: OMG that Witching Hour is nice. Good to see a GG rifle at end game. I can’t wait to find more Necromancer rifles post level 50. I am really looking forward to playing that build. Having all the shrine points used up for devotions was nice too. Don’t know how many build I see that don’t have that part completed, just the class skills.

1 Like

Primal Strike spam is a really big energy hog. You can pump points into Mogdrogen’s Pact to help a little, but the only real solution is Bard’s Harp devotion and/or a ton of spirit, which is risky with a Vindicator because its defensive stats are so-so. Anyway full points Savagery does pretty respectable damage, and with a rifle you can pair it with both Shaman and Inquisitor WPS and probably do more overall damage than Primal Strike. Depends on what gear you have to modify Primal Strike.

Vindicator does have player-scaled support pets with the Wind Devils, Wendigo Totem, and technically the Inquisitor Seal is also a pet (that you cast and it just lies there and swirls around cloudily). But the actual pet-bonus-scaling pets mean you need gear and devotions with pet bonuses, and your personal damage ends up pretty bad.

Tarazet: I agree. I have ectoplasm on both of my rings and arcane lens on the amulet. Granted that’s only a +% to energy, but it helps in those long battles. I will look into Bard’s Harp. That isn’t on my list, but I do have points left over, I think 11 or 12. I could sneak it in there, but I would have to get Assassin’s Blade. At least some of the points are useful, if not most, so n biggy really. I do like the elemental damage, from Bard’s Harp, it will go well with the Quill and Rhowan’s Crown. I should have all 55 shrine points before I turn 80, so plenty of time to mess around with them before I get anywhere near level 100.

Right now I have a +4 to Primal Strike. +3 from green shoulders and a +1 to all Shaman Skills from the belt. I’m only 41 atm, but I will keep an eye out for anything that will boost Primal Strike or even Torrent and/or Storm Surge.

Depending on what gear I get later on, +'s to all skills or skills that I am using, I might mess around with one of the pets. It could work as a quasi-tank ala distraction while I Primal Strike them down. Then again, I haven’t played a pet build yet so I don’t know the strengths/weaknesses yet. But I can always change my points if I don’t like adding a pet to the mix and go straight up pew pew please don’t touch me I am squishy.

When I talk about modifiers it’s more items that will add additional flat damage to Primal Strike or some other similar thing. There’s no shortage of items that can get you to 26/16 Primal Strike as long as you’re ok with lightning or vitality damage.

Here’s an item that reduces the cooldown and increases crit damage to Primal Strike, this is just one version but you can keep getting it all the way up to a level 94 endgame version: https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8720

Tarazet: So I took my level 50 Dervish to the Ugdenbog. I got 1 of those Sparkthrowers and 2 of the fire ones. Too bad the lightning one doesn’t have that extra lightning damage, was aether. Anyway, I placed it in my stash and loaded my Vindicator. I was happy indeed to see that it was a major upgrade. Yes!

Yeah, I am more than ok with the lightning damage, it’s my primary focus right now. I guess I will take physical and piercing as my secondary damage.

Fun build so far. It’s a range version of my Druid with a 2 handed mace. Though I think I like this one better. Anyway, off to the Ugdenbog again. This time with a pow pow wielding Vindicator.