Overrepresentation of Cold Resistance in Devotions

Cold resistance seems overrepresented in devotions compared to fire and lightning resistance. I find this a bit odd considering it’s also slightly overrepresented in components due to Frozen Heart. This has become a bit of an issue ever since Crate decided to change a lot of cold/fire/lightning resistance on gear to lower amounts of elemental resistance. That change actually made it a bit harder to balance the three in many cases. Here’s a summary of cold, fire, and lightning resistances in devotions:

Cold

• Amatok 25%
  • Solemn Watcher 25%
  • Sailor’s Guide 15%
  • Ulzaad 15%

Fire

• Ulzuin’s Torch 20%
  • Magi 25%

Lightning

• Spear of the Heavens 20%
  • Tempest 25%
  • Sailor’s Guide 15%

Fire clearly gets the short stick here, especially since Magi isn’t super popular but Sailor’s Guide is. Perhaps change the cold resistance on Ulzaad to fire resistance? I don’t see any thematic or gameplay issues with this.

Worth mentioning here that Solael’s Witchblade used to have 15% as well but this was changed fairly recently to +15 DA instead.

I’d argue otherwise. Any Fire build that can fit Fissure in benefits greatly from it. Hell, I’ve seen some non-Fire builds take Fissure like Fluff’s Doom Bolt Deceiver.

Fissure is god damn amazing and it’s weird if some fire builds actually skip it.

I do agree that cold res is pretty abundant in the devotion map though. Maybe the cold res in Amatok can be replaced with some other res that cold builds have trouble capping.

OK, what I mean by “super popular” is that it’s widely used by a variety of builds, not just builds with a certain damage type. Sailor’s Guide qualifies for this but Magi obviously does not.

If we ignore constellations that are strongly optimised towards 1-2 damage types, then we’re left with just Solemn Watcher and Sailor’s Guide. Here the pro-cold bias is quite apparent.

maybe its for lore reasons. grim dawn universe is in constant perpetual threat from yugol, which embodies nothingness. and cold damage is the closest representation of this nothingness.

so the celestials, in an effort to battle yugol’s cold shoulder treatment, creates a lot of cold resistance blessings among their innate powers.

either that, or its just crate still in process of balancing resistance sources across the grim board.